Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus to aurgathor

Mod

to aurgathor

Re: diluting oil based polyurethane

said by aurgathor:

I have some leftover polyurethane for floor (1/2 gallon exterior & 1/2 gallon interior) and they both appear significantly denser than when I first used them. What would be the best to use to dilute them?

TIA
BTW,what are your plans for the poly? I would advise against mixing the 2 as exteriors polys are less durable than interior versions.(hence the need for soft deck shoes on a boat deck vs bowling alley finishes). Also,if its been sitting a while be sure to strain it before use and avoid the little hard bits that might have formed over time.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by Icarus:

BTW,what are your plans for the poly? I would advise against mixing the 2 as exteriors polys are less durable than interior versions.
I just want to put one coat on the top side of some 3/4" particle boards (floor for a walk in closet) before assembly. (I will put on another coat or two later on, but that won't happen for a while)

When you say mineral spirit, you mean just paint thinner, or something more specific?

BTW, the polys are from Home Depot; Minwax fast drying polyurethane, and Minwax indoor/outdoor helmsman spar urethane, both clear semi-gloss. I last used them 3 and 5 months ago.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken

MVM

said by aurgathor:

When you say mineral spirit, you mean just paint thinner, or something more specific?
When you go to the store you will see containers marked as mineral spirits, and others marked as paint thinner. I don't know what the difference is, but they sell them in two different containers, so I'm guessing they are different. I don't really know though.