spc
Search similar:

uniqs

stuckwithcomcast
@comcast.net

stuckwithcomcast

Anon

Local Commercial Insertions...annoying

Anyone else noticing that Comcast's local commercial insertions are stepping outside the commercial flagging on most of the channels? I have seen over the past week several instances where they are starting their commercial insertions seconds before the break or inserting their commercial midway through a 1 minute spot. It's worse on the set top box vs the analog feed into the TV which appears to have demographic insertions over standard ViaMedia insertions. In any case...it's annoying as all get out...anyone else seeing this? I'm in Southern Maryland off their Waldorf Headend off Post Office Road.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

I've seen it off within a few seconds. That is, a local ad finishes, then you see the tail end of the national ad that was underlying.

This digital ad insertion stuff is pretty new. It'll take a little tweaking I'm sure. It's not like the older days when touch tones signaled analog ad gear. Now with digital you have to be precise with timing and different ads can go to different hubs or nodes even, and eventually down to the subscriber level.

stuckwithcomcast
@comcast.net

stuckwithcomcast to stuckwithcomcast

Anon

to stuckwithcomcast
Actually, inserted commercials at the headend level are all analog still. The gear to send them onto a digital QAM though exists is not production yet, so on the STB, the box is force tuned to an analog channel. On an analog channel it's displayed as the Bigband gear pushes the content, which is part of the problem as the signal and sync are off.

snakester
@comcast.net

snakester

Anon

that's definitely not the case around here; comcast has been giving out boxes with no analog tuners for a while now.
Georgiaboy8
join:2005-06-25
Savannah, GA

Georgiaboy8

said by snakester :

that's definitely not the case around here; comcast has been giving out boxes with no analog tuners for a while now.
But that doesn't mean the ads are digital from the source/headend. That just means, that by time it goes through your converter and to your television, it is in some type of digital format.

stuckwithcomcast
@comcast.net

Anon

to stuckwithcomcast
Not sure what box you have but the only boxes that don't have analog tuners here in Southern Maryland are the DCH series. I have asked several times to upgrade from the old DCT6200 to the DCH3200 or the DCH3416, but they don't have enough to go around.

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
SoCal

MacLeech to stuckwithcomcast

Premium Member

to stuckwithcomcast
Contact the local account exec for Comcast Spotlight. They can look into the problem the quickest and they often appreciate knowing if there are problems with the local "spots".

See this site:
»www.comcastspotlight.com/

Look up your area.

stuckwithcomcast
@comcast.net

Anon

to stuckwithcomcast
You know, it's easier to get ahold of the party paying for the national spot that is being stepped on than a live person at Comcast. I've left 2 messages at the local office for the Headend manager, yet I have gotten ahold of the party first try at the offended corperation who was paying large sums of funds to have their commercial carried OUTSIDE of the local insertion agreements.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to stuckwithcomcast

Premium Member

to stuckwithcomcast
said by stuckwithcomcast :

Actually, inserted commercials at the headend level are all analog still.
Actually, you're wrong.

Before systems upgrade to an all digital system, digital ad gear has to be installed in the head end.
The gear to send them onto a digital QAM though exists is not production yet, so on the STB, the box is force tuned to an analog channel.
No it's not..
On an analog channel it's displayed as the Bigband gear pushes the content, which is part of the problem as the signal and sync are off.
No it's not..
Georgiaboy8
join:2005-06-25
Savannah, GA

2 edits

Georgiaboy8

said by fiberguy2:

said by stuckwithcomcast :

Actually, inserted commercials at the headend level are all analog still.
Actually, you're wrong.

Before systems upgrade to an all digital system, digital ad gear has to be installed in the head end.

Yeah, I think there are a lot of ADS with analog and digital ad insertion equipment running side by side.
The gear to send them onto a digital QAM though exists is not production yet, so on the STB, the box is force tuned to an analog channel.
No it's not..
Yes Agreed, it's called digital simulcast. Don't think I heard of anyone in an ADS area have their "digital" boxes force-tune to the analog channel just because of a local ad.
On an analog channel it's displayed as the Bigband gear pushes the content, which is part of the problem as the signal and sync are off.
No it's not..
Wouldn't the problem, if there is one, be due to the splicing process, or something as simple as the length of the local ad, and lesser so the equipment?
Yeah, fiberguy, I figured I'd probably fill in blanks. Next time, I'll leave it to google. I would have actually believed him if it weren't for google .