Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oursys08

join:2001-10-10
Manchester, KY

ARRIS Touchstone Telphony Modem

Hello Everyone,

Im using this ARRIS Touchstone Telphony Modem Model #TM520G. I have two phones hooked up in the phone ports and I can only use one phone and I pick up the other phone all I hear is noise and no dialtone could someone give me assistance with this?
Ive also tried accessing the cable modems configuration page by typing 192.168.254.254 but I can't access the page. I have the internet hooked straight from the laptop to the modem no hubs/routers or anything hooked up.

1 of the telephones im using is a Uniden 900mhz phone that doesnt have caller ID and I have another 2.4GHZ phone I wanted to use for caller ID but when someone calls it will not show up on caller id or even work. Both of the lights are solid green on telephone 1 & telephone 2 and when I pick the phone up to use it the phone light that im using flashes.

Willis6969

@charter.com

Are you paying for two lines? The ports on the back are for two differnt lines or telephone numbers. If you only orderd one line, only line 1 will work. The ethernet port is NOT active.

oursys08

join:2001-10-10
Manchester, KY

No im only paying for 1 phone line but they tech that installed everything told me that I could use two phones + he also said a tech would be back and install me some phone jacks and never did. I have internet access so the ethernet port has to be active, Im not sure whats going on.

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium
join:2001-07-14
SoCal
kudos:3

2nd Jack on the modem is for a 2nd phone number.

If you want to connect a second telephone, get a phone splitter.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2
reply to oursys08

If you only have 1 number then you can only use one port. Also, the Arris is set up as a telephone only modem and can't be used for the internet. You would need the HSI subscription and a HSI modem to get the internet.

Willis6969

@charter.com
reply to MacLeech

said by MacLeech:

2nd Jack on the modem is for a 2nd phone number.

If you want to connect a second telephone, get a phone splitter.
Is there an echo in here?

Willis6969

@charter.com
reply to oursys08

said by oursys08:

No im only paying for 1 phone line but they tech that installed everything told me that I could use two phones + he also said a tech would be back and install me some phone jacks and never did. I have internet access so the ethernet port has to be active, Im not sure whats going on.
You can actively surf the net through the phone modem? The easiest solution is somthing like this, or just make them come back and fix her up for you.
»www.walmart.com/catalog/product.···=5871506

sittin_tech

join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN
kudos:1
reply to oursys08

sounds like you got a poor install. all the existing phone lines in your house should work after the install is complete. If you want 2 phones directly connected to the MTA, then like it was said twice before, you'll need a phone splitter.

BBT IV
Premium
join:2006-03-22
Central Point, OR
reply to oursys08

Did the tech plug the line into a existing jack? If he did, and correctly disconnected your phone from the CLEC connection at the NID then you should be able to plug a phone line in any of the rest of the jacks and have them work. The ethernet port on the back of the MTA is not active for internet once the MTA has been provisioned for dial tone.

MSUHitman

join:2003-07-03
Saint Charles, MO
reply to oursys08

Do you live in an apartment? Back when I was in TTM we had this problem all the time. If you live in an apartment, the tech can't tap into your inside wiring because you don't own it, the bell phone company in your area does.

Apartments were supposed to go through a specialized install with a couple of wireless phones where the wireless receiver was connected into the back of the mta and then some phones were setup where you wanted them that got the signal from that receiver in the back of the mta.

It's been over a year so I may be fuzzy about some of the details but that was roughly the scenario. I don't know how many calls I had to handle where this happened.

Techstill

@charter.com
reply to oursys08

On New Wave's service, the MTA's are dual-provisioned, so the internet will work fine with the Arris MTA that has phone active, as long as the customer is paying for the internet service, of course.

windowrattle

join:2006-01-11
Merrill, WI
reply to oursys08

An Arris Modem can also be provisioned for just data. We have used them when in a pinch.

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA
reply to oursys08

start , I'm not sure on Charters policy , I install the Arris on a daily basis for the big evil Comcast , we use the same device for phone/HSI , I have set many of them up over the past 2 years as stand alone modems , dual devices and stand alone phone. I do call shenanighans on the "we cant activate in apartments. I do it all the time , all ya do is find the incoming DT (normally in kitchen of APTs) and disco it there , then plug EmTA into jack and POOF all lines in APT are working. (it could be Charter policy to not do that though). All wiring in a building is the OWNERS , not a utility owned thing. On the outside it IS company owned, until it reaches a "d-mark" point. Simple as it gets.

willywheels

@charter.com

You have to be careful with just disconnecting it there, some apartments have an intercom, security, and door buzzer running on the phone lines. Thats why he give them two handsets with the install, we dont tell them they cant have it.

GoingUp22
Premium
join:2008-01-05
Saint Paul, MN

90% of charter systems are not dual provisioning Arris MTA's at this point for quite a few different reasons. First Using a separate phone/HSI modem allows us to use two different frequencies (both directions as well..) That way if one freq has some excessive noise the other service is still running and we only take out one service in an outage.. Inevitably while fixing it all services may go out. Second we can put the boxes into two different locations. Nothing would be more annoying than having to move your computer so Telephone could be installed say you didn't have a phone jack near the computer. There are more reasons but those are the best two... Also AFAIK the last time I checked the Arris modem will not give you a DHCP address. If you know your stuff you can manually set your settings and see a page really no different than the internal page of a regular HSD modem. Every time I do a trouble call for modem/telephone/video I am happy that I have a separate device to troubleshoot then try to guess what is wrong.. Kind of like the choice a cable gateway over a separate modem/router/wireless access point. When condensed too many moving parts.

ATXCardsFan
Premium
join:2006-11-10
Cedar Park, TX
reply to oursys08

You won't be able to get a DHCP address from the Arris modems because the LAN port is disabled. Under the status tab in the Arris internal pages is will show like below:
(the x's replace the MAC Address)

Interface Name Provisioned State Speed MAC address
LAN Disabled DOWN 100 xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
CABLE Enabled UP --- xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
USB Disabled DOWN 12 xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
MTA passWithWarnings UP --- xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
--
CBN TECH

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY