spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hhveluj

join:2007-12-20
Lowell, MA

HDMI - no signal. Cable box or TV fault?

Hello everybody!

I just got my first HDTV. Went to local Comcast office - exchanged cable box for HD box. First they wanted to give me the box with DVI output - but after I told them that my TV doesn't have DVI - HDMI only, they gave me the one with HDMI outputs.
When I plugged it in - TV says "No signal". Spent a lot of time on the phone with them - same result. Next morning - tech guy came - changed the box - same result. Plugged in component cable - everything works.
So - does it 100% mean that TV's HDMI input is not working and I need to exchange the TV?

Thanks a lot in advance!

FlsRend
Premium
join:2004-01-31
Philadelphia, PA

Check the TV's menu. You may need to manually set it to use the HDMI. Let us know your TV and Cable Box models and it may help out a bit more.

hhveluj

Lowell, MA

What do you mean 'manually set to use HDMI'? I'm selecting HDMI as source but it gives 'no signal', or there are some other settings?...

TV is Olevia 232V
Cable box is Motorola DCH3200

Thanks!

FlsRend
Premium
Philadelphia, PA

Did find this real quick....

Update: Seems a large number of people are having an issue with the HDMI port and XBOX 360’s (including Elites). It appears to be an incompatibility with both compenents that neither manufacturer (Olevia or Microsoft) have been able to work out.There’s an interesting thread on this topic on the Team XBOX forum, the suggestion is to just use the Component option to run the XBOX as that seems to work fine. Not the right answer I’m sure but honestly, if your buying a TV to get the most out of the XBOX video display this TV is probably below your standards anyway and unless your one that insists on counting the individual pixels, I doubt most people will notice the difference.

My brother has the same brand TV but different model. I know for a fact that his HDMI works fine with his cable box. Let me do some more digging and check with my brother :)

hhveluj

Lowell, MA

Thanks! Please post if you find anything. I wasn't able to

P.S. I probably should also mention that I tried different cable as well - I bought Phillips 1.3a HDMI cable - it didn't help...

FlsRend
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to FlsRend

Check Olevia's webpage for a firmware update. My brother needed to update his to get audio through his HDMI. »64.168.125.230/support/Syntax/Te···irmware/

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to hhveluj

Can you get video through the Compenent? If so, check the settings on the box to verify if correct (Power off, then Menu). If the settings are not correct, the TV will not show a picture.

hhveluj

Lowell, MA

Wow! When I plug in HDMI while viewing through Component - I get a big blue box saying 'HDCP Authentication failed'! How do I fix this?...

Thanks in advance!

hhveluj

Lowell, MA
reply to FlsRend

Looks like that i have latest firmware... By the way - olevia website offers me new firmware but it's for 232V-S12, and I have 232V-S13
I don't think that I should install it...

I did the menu while powered off - it's sed to HDMI/YPbPr output if both cables are plugged in. If just component - then YPbPr. In the additional HDMI settings I have: HDMI and color set to YCC 4:4:4. Setting it to RGB doesn't help

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL

Then, you TV is not HDCP compliant. Go with the Component input then.

hhveluj

Lowell, MA

But it must be!
That's what specifications say:

Digital Input: 1 HDMI w/HDCP, PC + Video, Plug & Play, CEA EDID Extensions

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL

Just because the Spec's state that it is HDCP compliant, you just proved that it is not. Go with the Component, and save yourself the headaches.

hhveluj

Lowell, MA

I don't want to switch 5 cables twice every time I play Wii...

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL

The easiest solution, is to use a Switch Box for Component Cables. If you have the Wii & a DVD player, the Switch box will work for the 2nd Component Input.

hhveluj

Lowell, MA

Or exchange the TV. It's still under warranty. I just bought it less than a week ago.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL

You could do that, and go with a name brand, then the Olevia. Some people classify that namebrand as "Throw-away" sets.

scanpa
Premium
join:2006-09-06
Lebanon, PA
reply to hhveluj

Is your HDMI cable going directly from the STB to the TV? or is it going through a Rcvr./Amp then to the Tv?

hhveluj

Lowell, MA

Directly.