Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

Access private 169.254.1.1 address through NAT router

I have a Buffalo HP router with the stock 1.40 firmware doing PPPoE to my WISP. It is connected to a Motorola Canopy SM that has a WebGUI interface at 169.254.1.1 that gives me statistics on the signal quality etc. and I would like to be able to access it through the router. Is this possible with the stock firmware and if so, how?

If stock firmware won't do it, will Tomato 1.13 do it and if so, how?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
Nevermind... wrong forum.

Got my answer about Tomato at least on linksysinfo.org forum.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to LLigetfa
Since I'm afraid to visit that site, I don't know what answer you got, but I routinely access non-routable addys on the WAN side of the Tomato router. NAT works on any type of address.

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
That is a pretty general statement and I doubt takes into consideration, my situation.

Since I do PPPoE, I esentially tunnel from my router to the PPPoE server at the ISP's NOC. From there, the PPPoE server does not know how to get to the client side of the SM at 169.254.1.1 not to mention each and every one of the WISP's SMs have the same 169.254.1.1 addy on the client side. So, as you see, one cannot simply rely on the standard route and default gateway both of which are to the PPPoE server.

To access the SM that is connected to the WAN port of the router, the router's WAN port needs to have an IP and the router needs, well... a route to 169.254.1.1 which I think the stock Buffalo firmware is incapable of supporting.

There are some advanced options that looked like it might do it, but the manual really sucks, their online KB sucks more, and trial and error got me nowhere.

I doubt that there is anyone that knows the stock firmware well frequenting this forum. I doubt anyone from BuffaloTech frequents here either.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to LLigetfa
I do not use PPPPPPOEEEEEE, and did not know that it was a "tunnel" type of WAN connection. I thought it was simply an authentication protocol. My bad. With a DHCP WAN getting a routable IP from a cable modem, the natter in tomater will route to the WWW as well as to private IPeez. That is all I was saying, and it obviously does not apply to your type of WAN connection. So sorry !

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
BTW, this is what I needed for Tomato.

I put this in the INIT Script:
sleep 5
ip addr add 169.254.1.3/16 dev vlan1 brd +

and this in the FIREWALL Script:
iptables -I POSTROUTING -t nat -o vlan1 -d 169.254.0.0/16 -j MASQUERADE
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to LLigetfa
Thanks for the update. I've added the code to my own little library of extras for future reference.