join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

4 edits

2 recommendations

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 Professional + Spy Sweeper 5.5 - FREE

»www.computeractive.co.uk ··· vg/index

We’re giving away the commercial version of AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 Professional, a full security utility. Contact us at downloads@vnunet.com if you are having problems with this page or with the download.

READ THIS FIRST BEFORE PROCEEDING

* When you go to the link below, follow all instructions provided by PC Tools
* Read the General terms and conditions before downloading, and note that we do not provide any technical assistance or support whatsoever
* We strongly recommend you back-up any important files on your computer and that you set a System Restore point (for Windows XP or Vista users) before installing the software

Download time may vary depending on connection speed and volume of traffic. Where possible, we advise you try to download outside peak times (peak times are between 6pm-11pm evenings and during the weekend) if you want to improve the speed of your download.

General terms and conditions and license restrictions:

These products are for personal use on only one PC at a time. You may not rent or lease or resell products contained on this download page or use them for public performance.

Neither the supplier nor the publisher (Incisive Media) will accept responsibility for any losses or damage resulting from the use of this software, including loss of profit, damage to equipment, interruption of business data or any other damage direct or incidental.

It is recommended that you back up any programs or data on your hard disk b efore installing this software. No technical support will be provided from eit her the supplier or publisher.

This download offer expires 17/01/2008. The publisher reserves the right to stop this offer at anytime without notice.

By clicking on the download button below, you agree to these terms and conditions.
--

DaHen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Brockton, MA

DaHen

Premium Member

Re: AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 Professional - FREE

Thanks Stem Bolt,

Worth taking a look.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA

jmorlan to Stem Bolt

MVM

to Stem Bolt
When does the free license for this expire?

Will this install and upgrade over the free version?

Rip2dbone
join:2001-05-05
Queens Village, NY

Rip2dbone to DaHen

to DaHen
Click for full size
Expire??....hmmmmmmmmmm

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA

1 recommendation

jmorlan

MVM

I saw that and assumed that was the expiration date for the download offer, not the expiration date of the licence.

Am I wrong?

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium Member
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

POB to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
Sounds inviting, but other than the currently, no doubt, massively overloaded server that does not allow download of the app, what's the catch? What's in it for vnudownloads.com, AKA Chris Wiles?

I find it extremely difficult to believe that Mr. Wiles is giving away a profl app out of the kindness & generosity of his heart.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to Stem Bolt

MVM

to Stem Bolt

Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 Free

in case anybody is interested
»www.computeractive.co.uk ··· er/index

Cudni

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to Stem Bolt

MVM

to Stem Bolt

I gave it a try on my wife's computer that had the free version. I had no problem installing over the free version. The Pro license is good until 1 December 2008 after which it says you can purchase a new license at a discount.

The main advantage I see over the free version is that it accesses faster update servers and you can schedule multiple daily updates.

The main disadvantage is that the license will expire in a year.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

La Luna to Rip2dbone

Premium Member

to Rip2dbone
said by Rip2dbone:

Expire??....hmmmmmmmmmm
He's asking about the expiration of the free LICENSE, not the download offer!

EDIT: and I see he got the answer.

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

wxboss to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
Currently getting a 404 error after clicking the Download link.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to POB

to POB
Perhaps it's an email harvesting plan? You've got to provide a valid email that the registration code is sent to. I'll bet somewhere within the signup page that's currently 404 you'll have to agree to the use/sale of your email info. This is more likely given that the Computer Active site is not the organization giving out the free AVG.

From the page:
quote:
We sometimes receive emails from readers who can't obtain a serial code. Please note that all the information required to do so is printed within the magazine. Occasionally it can take a few hours to receive the free download link email. Please be patient before contacting us as Computeractive is not responsible for sending out the link.
They always say that "free stuff" is the easiest way to get people to give away their personal information. Right now it's speculation that they'll ask for more than an email but I wouldn't be surprised.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

MacGyver to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
Alternate download link: »www.megaupload.com/?d=ZZFOZBS7

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

1 edit

odreian615

Getting a 404 on the original link and I don't see where you download it on megaupload

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium Member
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

POB to MooJohn

Premium Member

to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

Perhaps it's an email harvesting plan? You've got to provide a valid email that the registration code is sent to. I'll bet somewhere within the signup page that's currently 404 you'll have to agree to the use/sale of your email info. This is more likely given that the Computer Active site is not the organization giving out the free AVG.

From the page:
quote:
We sometimes receive emails from readers who can't obtain a serial code. Please note that all the information required to do so is printed within the magazine. Occasionally it can take a few hours to receive the free download link email. Please be patient before contacting us as Computeractive is not responsible for sending out the link.
They always say that "free stuff" is the easiest way to get people to give away their personal information. Right now it's speculation that they'll ask for more than an email but I wouldn't be surprised.
Negligible. Email is disposable and "personal info" does not have to be fact. I'm wondering what the nasties are that will be included in the download other than the app itself.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

margaf to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
I think AVG is the worst AV software out there. In tests I have watched it let stuff Symantec, NOD, and others catch, right on through.

»www.eset.com/products/co ··· tion.php

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to MooJohn

MVM

to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

Perhaps it's an email harvesting plan? You've got to provide a valid email that the registration code is sent to.
This is not true. I downloaded the program from the original site and the installation did not ask for a license code; the license code was already pre-filled in during the install. No email was needed to get a full working licensed version.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to margaf

Premium Member

to margaf
quote:
I think AVG is the worst AV software out there. In tests I have watched it let stuff Symantec, NOD, and others catch, right on through.
I agree,why would anyone use this program ,with all the FPs and bad test results?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni to margaf

MVM

to margaf
said by margaf:

In tests I have watched it let stuff Symantec, NOD, and others catch, right on through.

»www.eset.com/products/co ··· tion.php
tests in the link you suplied or...?

Cudni

cvrefugee
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Riverside, CA

cvrefugee to Rip2dbone

Premium Member

to Rip2dbone
said by Rip2dbone:

Expire??....hmmmmmmmmmm
Many European countries use a different date format. In the United States we use MM/DD/YYYY while they use DD/MM/YYYY.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf to Cudni

to Cudni
No, tests I did a while back on my own.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Cudni

Premium Member

to Cudni

Re: Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 Free

said by Cudni:

in case anybody is interested
»www.computeractive.co.uk ··· er/index

Cudni
Hmmm, can't get to the site You got an alternative?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

No alternative site that i know. can you get to this link
»www.computeractive.co.uk/ ?

Maybe clear dns cache
ipconfig /flushdns?

Cudn

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

2 edits

Cheese

Premium Member

said by Cudni:

No alternative site that i know. can you get to this link
»www.computeractive.co.uk/ ?

Maybe clear dns cache
ipconfig /flushdns?

Cudn
I can get to that page no problem.

Also, the download points to [Mod Note: Removed .exe file: »Posting Rules - Security ]

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA

jmorlan

MVM

It downloads as a zero byte file for me.

gyl
@cust.tele2.fr

gyl to Stem Bolt

Anon

to Stem Bolt

i've downlanded avg pro (by upload)it's ok till 01 december 2008,and only in english happy +mas to every one

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

1 edit

ironweasel to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
»www.av-comparatives.org

I think I'll stick with my Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Premium.

Although, for those folks who don't currently have an AV or for the ones who are using a free version of another program, it might be worth a download.

EDIT: Fixed link.

jerry666
Premium Member
join:2002-12-12
Sainte-Anne-Des-Lacs, QC

jerry666 to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
of the 20 computers i look after , the only ones that ever got infected had norton or mcafee on them . the same virus that got them was caught by AVG . That is just my experience in the last 10 years or so .

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

1 recommendation

Cudni

MVM

What was the virus?

Cudni

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
Cool thanks much bud.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

1 edit

poppster to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
Is that the professional version? On Megaupload?