Netgear CM600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Asus RT-AC68

1 edit

Bluethunder to bjbrock9

to bjbrock9

Re: AVG

said by bjbrock9:

I've had AVG find viruses Avast, Nortons and McAfee's all have missed.

When repairing customers PC's, the first thing I do is uninstall their current AV and install AVG. If it's a business machine I make them pay for it. AVG has found viruses left behind by most other AV's. Avast is probably the worst.
Odd ... I have had the exact opposite experience. I never uninstall their current AV and replace it with Avast without their permission, unless it is another free AV (especially AVG). I will, however, use Avast's boot time scan to clean up what others have missed, even if I leave their current one on the system. Besides the poor detection rate, the lack of a boot time scanner (BIG negative) or the ability to disinfect nested archives keeps me away from AVG. The lack of a boot time scanner alone makes AVG useless in cleaning many strains. There are some viruses that simply cannot be cleaned from within the windows environment.

AVG is actually the worst in most tests (such as this: »wiki.castlecops.com/Anti ··· mparison ). I have yet to use AntiVir, so can't vouch for it, but it appears in that test to be the best of the three. My main reason for excluding it is it's lack of a boot scanner. For me and my clients, I will stick with what I know works, and stay away from what I have seen has problems (and lacks needed functionality to fully clean the system).

»www.consumersearch.com/w ··· iew.html
»www.jhoodsoft.org/av.html

eedwfe
@sbcglobal.net

eedwfe

Anon

Avast can't even do autoscheduling. (I wouldn't use any antivirus that can't do that)

BinaryXtreme6
join:2004-04-20
Sparks, NV

BinaryXtreme6

I've been using AVG for years now and love it.

Bluethunder
Thunder PC
join:1999-12-05
Duncan, SC
Netgear CM600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Asus RT-AC68

Bluethunder to eedwfe

to eedwfe
If an AV does it's job on the real time scanners, auto scheduling is useless. I see that as a useless "feature". If the virus isn't detected when it's introduced to the PC, it's probably not going to find it when it run a full scan that is scheduled. FWIW, Avast will constantly run a full scan when the screen saver is active. If "after the fact" scanning is what you prefer to trust, that would find it quicker anyway (of course if it missed it once, it's likely going to miss it again).
« I use ComodoBest Antivirus »
This is a sub-selection from AVG