uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

ISPs will start doing this

ISPs will start cooperating with the Intellectual Property industries as intellectual content becomes a larger and larger part of a country's GDP. And no matter what the EFF says, they will find a way to implement blocking of illegal content, even if it means implementing a list of ALLOWABLE IP addresses and web sites. There is just too much money involved(and the amounts of money is constantly growing) for them to do otherwise.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 edit

Matt3

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

ISPs will start cooperating with the Intellectual Property industries as intellectual content becomes a larger and larger part of a country's GDP. And no matter what the EFF says, they will find a way to implement blocking of illegal content, even if it means implementing a list of ALLOWABLE IP addresses and web sites. There is just too much money involved(and the amounts of money is constantly growing) for them to do otherwise.
I agree they will try something. It will end up being a PITA the for legit content users like myself and the Bad Guys™ will just find a way around it.

Technology marches too fast for the huge, monolithic companies like AT&T, to react in a timely manner. By the time a bypass is even on their radar, there will be 2 or 3 other ways of bypassing it.

The solution is so simple, but it'll never happen:

- Go after the advertisers.

If you go after the companies that aren't hiding and who advertise on illegal sites, you'll take the money equation out of running an illegal site. It wouldn't take too many companies being sued under the might of an MPAA or RIAA to scare other companies away.

Besides, like someone else mentioned, encrypt all traffic ... now what? List of allowable IP addresses? Proxy.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

2 recommendations

russotto to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

ISPs will start cooperating with the Intellectual Property industries as intellectual content becomes a larger and larger part of a country's GDP.
First thing I found at your blog is a copyright violation, hypocrite.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
And once such a system is in place, it's power and scope will expand, to not only include the illegal, but the objectionable too... and then on to political correctness, and soon, and on to information that the Government or corporations might find embarrasing, and then expand to all material that anyone could possibly take offense at.

And soon we'll have the dumbed down to the lowest common denominator internet access that only allows you to pay for services and watch corporate commercials and have "Fun time Kiddie Chat" ...

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

1 recommendation

Qumahlin to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Well no because the money involved isn't even calculable. Everytime someone download a song or movie the record company/movie studio tries to say its a "loss" when in reality it isn't. For example I have the Alvin and the Chipmunks soundtrack that I downloaded yesterday sitting on my PC. I downloaded it purely because my sister saw the movie and said the songs were hysterical they were so bad (and they are)

Now, had I not been able to download the album, I can assure you I would have simply took her word for it. Now the movie/record studios would say this was a loss of xx dollars...but how is that possible? Had I not been able to download the album I would never in my life had gone to the store and bought it.

If they decide to enforce this and everyone moves to encrypted traffic you just made the problem worse and at the same time helped the "criminals" even more.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to russotto

Premium Member

to russotto
said by russotto:
said by FFH5:

ISPs will start cooperating with the Intellectual Property industries as intellectual content becomes a larger and larger part of a country's GDP.
First thing I found at your blog is a copyright violation, hypocrite.
You're wrong and ignorant of what constitutes copyright infringement to boot. There are no violations.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto

So the creator of that video has obtained the required permissions and paid the composer, songwriter, and recording royalties?
grandpinaple8
join:2006-01-03
New York, NY

grandpinaple8 to Qumahlin

to Qumahlin
There is money for the RIAA and MPAA, but artists are starting to wake up and smell the money to. The RIAA and MPAA are nothing but litigation machines without their slaves.