uniqs
share rss forum feed

Karride
Slower Traffic Keep Right
Premium
join:2000-04-17
Germantown, TN

1 edit

I think I'm done with Infocus projectors.

I've been a loyal InFocus customer for years now, ever since buying one of their old G series CRT's. So when I went to setup my home theatre on a very tight budget, I choose the X1 projector for my needs. it worked great for about a year and a half, and then the color wheel started making a horrible grinding noise.

By this time of course it was out of warranty, and would cost $500 to fix, so instead I "upgraded" to the X3 (in hindsight, I should have gone with a different company after the first one failed). so here I am, a year and a half later, and about a month ago one side of the screen turned yellow. I opened up the projector and discover that the adhesive on a small tube of mirrors has failed, and the tube collapsed on one side. I painstakingly re-glued it with high temp epoxy, and it worked fine up until this weekend.

This weekend there was a tinkling of broken glass, and the sound of an off balance motor. Today I open up the projector and discover that the adhesive on the blue section of the color wheel has failed, and sent the blue section flying. Unfortunately it shattered, so I can't even try to fix it.

So I guess for now I'll hang my old X1 on the ceiling and deal when the whining motor until I can get something different. Whatever I buy next, it will not be infocus. I know these are both low end projectors, but I don't think its unreasonable to expect a projector to last through at least 1 bulb before it fails.

tahoejeff
Premium
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI
if you paid for them with american express, they provide a free warranty extension, up to 1 year. other credit cards also offer this, just give them a call.
i purchase all of my electronics with my amex blue card just for this free extended warranty.
--
The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to Karride
The color wheel issues normally only come up when you have dirty filters. I learned the hard way that you have to clean them all the time, even if the PJ doesn't see much use. When the power switch is on, the fan runs, sucking in dirt, even when you aren't using it.

I say normally, but obviously not always. I went through the X1, X1a, and X3. (unfortunately I sold my X3 to a friend, who ended up having the same color wheel issues you have described) I didn't have much trouble with them, once I started cleaning the filters every 2 weeks.
--
Intel Quad Core QX6700 @3500Mhz/Asus P5N32-E SLI/4x 1024Mb Corsair/Seagate 750.10/PNY 7800GTs SLI/Silverstone 850W/Custom water cooler

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to Karride
you can thank the US economy, the US people and the cheap building/labor costs in different countries.
because the US consumer doesnt want to spend on quality products, cheaper inferior products appeal instead and the end result is a product that has a general lifetime before failure of 1 to 3 years.
the rich get richer and the poor stay where they're at.
--
S.C.P.D. Live Scanner Feed
N.C.P.D. Live Scanner Feed

paul
Granpa Paul
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2006
join:2001-07-14
reply to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

(unfortunately I sold my X3 to a friend, who ended up having the same color wheel issues you have described)
That would be me who ended up with the X3. While the unit didn't have many hours on it, perhaps it being used (heat) and then shipped to me caused the glue to let loose a bit. Soon after being put in service again, the light tunnel partially collapsed, after some searching by Camelot One, he found out the issue, I tore it down and reglued the light tunnel. Unfortunately, in the process, I bumped the color wheel, and it separated. I reglued it, and used it for a bit, but it has a whine in it now, which leads me to suspect it's fixing to go in orbit.

A mutual friend said if we could come up with a part number for the color wheel (not Infocus's) he could get one for me. A good friend wants a low budget projector for games, I have plans to tear it down again, see if I can get a part number and get it going again. If it pans out, I'll post something.
--
I have no other binding reason to exist