spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vky

@eircom.net

how do i get my wireless pass phrase

hey i was just wondering how i find out my wireless pass phrase , i got a new lap top and want to set it up!!!!!!
thanks for the help xx

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

Do you have a wireless network already setup? If so some wireless routers will display the current encryption key in plain text. You need to access the router admin pages and look in the wireless security/encryption window. Make sure the encryption type and key match on both the wireless router and your laptop.

If your trying to connect to an existing wireless network that does not belong to you then contact the network administrator for the wireless encryption key.

Beyond that you really need to be specific as to if your using a wireless router and if so name the manufacturer and model, the wireless hardware in your laptop, what OS (ie. Vista/XP/? OS the laptop is running, what you have done or not done, etc...etc...etc...

Help us help you by being specific....
--
"When all else fails, read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Networking 2003-2007

stevech0

join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA
reply to vky

follow YOUR wireless router's instructions on resetting the product to the factory defaults. This is normally a push button to be held down for several seconds upon power-up. Then reenter the SSID, WEP/WPA pass code (encryption keys).

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

If your going to recreate your wireless network settings as suggested by steveh0 then I suggest using Windows Connect Now (WCN) and save off the settings to a flash drive in case you need to recreate the network in the future or you add wireless clients.

Links on this page along with my wireless security guidelines.

»theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/L···ity.html

Also don't use WEP if at all possible. WEP is terribly insecure. Use WPA2/WPA, ie. the strongest encryption type your wireless router and clients support.
--
"When all else fails, read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Networking 2003-2007

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to vky

You find the scrap of paper where you wrote it down when you set up your router.

If you lost that, you log into your router and set up a new one. If you lost your router login you reset your router to factory defaults, and set it up again. This time, keep the scrap of paper in a known location.

Or, if you are trying to leach, you could just stop leaching off other people's wifi.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us