spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brugar
join:2002-09-16
Las Vegas, NV

brugar

New firmware for Westell 327W - version 4.4.3

Verizon has posted updated firmware for the A90, B90, And D90 models of the Westell 327W:

»www.verizon.net/vonads/v ··· ault.asp
DrMuga75
join:2007-09-07
Mount Pleasant, MI

DrMuga75

It says "Windows cannot open this file." How do you install a .upg file? Wonder why they didn't go with a .exe.

krenim191
join:2001-01-23
Santee, CA

krenim191

you have to go to the routers webpage and upgrade from there.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Unfortunately, those aren't the instructions they give you. They tell you to run it just like an .exe.
DrMuga75
join:2007-09-07
Mount Pleasant, MI

DrMuga75 to krenim191

to krenim191
Westell won't provide support for the B and C models. Since they were designed for Verizon and Bell South, they point you back to the respective companies.

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

He means to access the modems setup page and point it to the upgrade, as in »192.168.1.1/update.htm and select local update.
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

andre2

I just did it successfully, while running Linux, and it's nice that they're doing it in an OS-independent way. Any idea why they couldn't just make the router's "web update" work instead of "local update"? Unfortunately, the new router GUI is too graphical for my taste. In some places they've replaced words such as "Edit" and "Delete" with icons, and you have to guess what they do.
alrandolph
join:2004-07-11
Jersey City, NJ

alrandolph to brugar

to brugar
thanks for this post, I upgrade, but do prefer the look of the old firmware

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Glad I waited for you guys to be guinea pigs. I have no desire to use the new gui.
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

It's usable, just annoying. Another problem is that they make you click through warnings even if you're trying to look at a page that only shows information. It looks like they were too lazy to separate out the specific pages where config changes can be made and just put a warning upon entering any section containing at least one such page. For example, if you click on "System Monitoring" and then "Advanced Status", you have to click through a warning even though many subpages, such as "Transceiver Statistics", don't allow modifying anything.
m2deux
join:2004-12-13
Copiague, NY

m2deux to brugar

to brugar
If you dont like it, can you downgrade back to an older version?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to brugar

Mod

to brugar
Anyone have a useful change log?
acuariano
Premium Member
join:2004-10-27
Woodside, NY

acuariano to brugar

Premium Member

to brugar
after clciking local update,i have another window for upgrade file...'which" file should be selected to get the upgrade?
jeremiahrs
join:2004-09-04
New York, NY

1 edit

jeremiahrs to brugar

to brugar
anyone mind posting a mirror of the file? i cant access it via the link provided. Thanks.

also, if someone who has already updated can post a screenshot or two of the new gui, it would be greatly appreciated.
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

I'm currently not able to access the link now either - it says they are doing maintenance. But it was working before, so just wait a while.

acuariano: The appropriate firmware file for your router, downloaded from the Verizon link above.
jeremiahrs
New York, NY

jeremiahrs

ya, ill just wait, but id still like some screenys if someone would be so kind as to post them, im curious as to how they look.
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

Click for full size
System Monitoring/Advanced Status/Transceiver Statistics
jeremiahrs
New York, NY

jeremiahrs

wow, thats an eyesore lol, not diggin the red, but looks a bit more modernized. guess ill give it a try when the sites back up. are there any noticeable improvements with this release?
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

My downstream stats _might_ be a little bit improved (same margin with lower transmit power), but I'm not 100% sure. There was a significant improvement in this regard with the last firmware upgrade. Too bad Verizon doesn't bother explaining what the upgrades do. I'm not familiar enough with the old feature set to notice if there are any additions.
jeremiahrs
New York, NY

jeremiahrs

ah well, i guess i have to wait and see what this thing actually will do for me, if any lol.
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

Also, the upgrade may take a few minutes, so don't panic and try to interrupt it if it appears frozen for a bit - doing so could turn the router into a doorstop. After the firmware flash is complete, the web page will indicate that the router is rebooting automatically, and after that it's done.
jeremiahrs
New York, NY

jeremiahrs

thnx for the tip, i hope vz fixes whatever they are doing, but its 3am here lol, they will probably be up tomorrow.
acuariano
Premium Member
join:2004-10-27
Woodside, NY

acuariano to andre2

Premium Member

to andre2
thanks you andre2...i dowloade from link..then upgrade from "local option"

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to brugar

to brugar
It seems I'm being redirected to an older firmware, what's the name of the upgrade file please?
jeremiahrs
New York, NY

jeremiahrs

well i can get to it, the link posted doesn't go there anymore, you just have to navigate to it.
andre2
Brookline, MA

1 edit

andre2 to bluepoint

to bluepoint
For A90-327W15-06 and A99-327W15-00:

»download.verizon.net/web ··· .rel.upg

For B90-327W15-06 and B99-327W15-00:

For D90-327W15-06 and D99-327W15-00:

Edit: Try the OP's Verizon link first, in case they update the firmware again.

flatline_
join:2003-01-18

flatline_ to brugar

to brugar
Well, I just did it on my A90. Didn't seem to do anything, but also didn't seem to harm anything. Therefore, I'm all for it!
jerry47m
Premium Member
join:2006-01-22
Shrewsbury, MA

jerry47m to brugar

Premium Member

to brugar
I just did the upgrade with no problems. the wireless side of this modem was so useless before upgrade i set up a d-link modem just to use my wireless on a laptop. with the boost (4x) i can hook up using the westell only.

Anon Name
@verizon.net

Anon Name to brugar

Anon

to brugar
I'm torn...I like part of the layout. It's nice to see the computers connected to the router on the main page. A few of the other information boxes are nice...but the clicking through "warning: Any changes made in this section may affect your devices performance and configuration." over and over and over again is annoying.

At least one bug fix I see is in the Qos settings. It now allows you to choose Assured Forwarding, etc w/o defaulting back to Best Effort every time.

Just my .02

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

Mike to brugar

Mod

to brugar
Now that I actually looked at the thread, when I got a new modem a month ago, this was the firmware it shipped with.

VER:4.04.03.00