jtlapp
jtlapp
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
O Fallon, IL

jtlapp

Premium Member

Is AT&T upgrading DSL

We currently have 1.5 MB service for $20 but recently added another desktop, wireless router (for WII) and DISH DVR (cable link to router). The basic service is good for one computer but it will be tough with the new hardware.

I've been told we can not upgrade to the Pro level due to distance. AT&T was working in our development (20 years old) in the fall - not sure what they were doing but thought they were upgrading to permit TV service.

How do we find out whether they are upgrading the network in our area?

Joe
zip 62269-2800

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

I run 3 computers, a Wii and an xbox 360 with no problems over 1.5mb.

If they are upgrading, it's probably all for Uverse....which would mean to get the new speeds you'd have to sign up for it.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to jtlapp

Mod

to jtlapp
AT&T is constantly upgrading.

They just don't seem to be upgrading in my area

I agree with Dennis See Profile. We are doing quite nicely with 1.5M service and several computers. I am not seeing any problems. The occasional large download takes a little longer at 1.5, but is not so slow as to be a problem.
jrb531
join:2001-02-14
Chicago, IL

jrb531 to jtlapp

to jtlapp
It all depends on what you are doing. My son got a 360 and with the voice chat the "up" at 384 just would not cut it when I was using my computer Ventrilo.

The 1500 is not the issue at times... its the 384 on the upside that can be too slow. When you go to Pro speed you get 512 which may not seem like alot but it sure helps with gaming in which the down and up are equally important.

It's too bad that AT&T only allows the standard 1500/384 and will only give you more up speed if you go to the pro service.

Choices are:

1500/384 (was 256)
2000/512
2500/512
3000/512

So even if you do not need more speed on the download side you cannot get more upload speed unless you move to Pro.

Now having said all of this I was running 4 computers off of the 1500/384 without issue. Seldom (unless everyone is downloading) was the line always being used. It was not until I had my daighter downloading, my son on his Xbox 360 and myself using the computer at the same time was 1500 not enough and then as I said it was not the 1500 that was limiting it but rather the 384 on the upload side.

-JB

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

Try turning off the kid's computers running the file sharing or turn off the file sharing. Those can eat your upstream bandwidth by serving out files. Run your X-box and voice and your computer. I would guess you might find things sufficient for that.

»www.ventrilo.com/setup.php says
Bandwidth usage will be determined by what codec the server instructs the client program to use. The default configuration for a server is to use the GSM 6.10 codec and sampling at 11Khz. After compression this will consume approximately 3K bytes per second per voice stream.