how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chrisis

join:2007-12-30
Washington, DC

Comcast One Moment Please Message Possible Fix

Like so many people, many of my channels would display the message "One Moment Please - This channel should be available shortly". The shortly was forever. I reset my cable box and the Comcast sent the signal to reset my box several times, but still did not work.

So, I scheduled for a technician to come out. He appears to have fixed my problem. So I wanted to post this in case others still had this problem.

First, he went outside to my cable box on the house. He replaced the cable divider/splitter with a new one. He put on new connectors on the cable ends. This time though he put the kind you cannot get off. From my research online, they seem to be Gilbert locking terminator (F port locking terminator with resistor 75 ohm - SGLR-01) see this website:
»www.coastcatvsupply.com/Pico/SEC···-E14.pdf

The technician also replaced cut part of the cable oustide where it was bent and looked like it had a kink in it.

He then replaced several but not all of the splitters/dividers inside and put new connector ends on my cables inside as they go to the Cable Boxes and splitters. I keep saying splitters/dividers cause I don't know the proper term for that one input and several output connectors. On it is says, Extreme Broadband Engineering, BDS 120H.

My Internet connection used to drop alot so I think my signal strength seem to increase.

Well after this, I have never seen that "One Moment Please.." message.

If I had to guess, I would say that the fix was the locking 75 ohm resistors. Of course them being locking means that I cannot take them off and add more connections myself. So, I would suggest you find the kind that boost the signal without locking.

I was thinking of getting a CTV Signal booster. But we will see. Hope this helps someone.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
If he put security shields on them or locked open ports then he is suspicious of theft and tampering. It has nothing to do with the OMP message unless they were bad or corroded connectors.

The message means your box knows it should get that/those channels but cannot see them. This is caused by low signal or a high noise floor.
Everything you described is normal trouble shooting and maintenance.
I dont think "So many of us" have this issue. I think people with signal issues have this issue. And what can cause them can be one or all of a million things.

With the knowledge demonstrated in this post I would adivise against getting an amp, for no reason, or adding outlets on your own.
The fix had nothing to do with the terms, or "75oHm locking resistors" It most likely had to do with replacing all the crap splitters and connectors.
The terms he put on your splitter or at the tap are simply to prevent theft of service and cap open ports for leakage.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Cableteked
Premium
join:2007-11-22
Aurora, CO
reply to chrisis
Well put Tool. I’m only wondering why the tech stuck terminators on a splitter outside the SFU instead of reconfiguring down to only the needed ports and correct split config!

danham

@comcast.net
reply to CableTool
said by CableTool:

The message means your box knows it should get that/those channels but cannot see them. This is caused by low signal or a high noise floor.
Can you explain if there are other legitimate reasons for the message to appear? I ask because Comcast says it appears on several channels at my house because we do not have them in our tier. Quick explanation: We have basic plus digital with HBO and an HD box. So what's "missing" (on purpose) is a middle tier with lots of shopping and old movies and stuff we don't want.

But some of those have HD equivalents up higher in the numbering scheme and those are the ones that say "available shortly." The HD versions of stations we do pay for come in just fine, BTW.

Thanks,

-dan

comtech33

join:2008-01-01
If your tv says one moment please there could be many reasons, it could be low signal, too much signal, bad box, noise in ur line, a cut drop etc many things could cause it. If you are not supposed to get those channels it says Not authorized or subscription services. I hope this answered ur question.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to danham
said by danham :

said by CableTool:

Can you explain if there are other legitimate reasons for the message to appear? I ask because Comcast says it appears on several channels at my house because we do not have them in our tier. Quick explanation: We have basic plus digital with HBO and an HD box. So what's "missing" (on purpose) is a middle tier with lots of shopping and old movies and stuff we don't want.

But some of those have HD equivalents up higher in the numbering scheme and those are the ones that say "available shortly." The HD versions of stations we do pay for come in just fine, BTW.

Thanks,

-dan
You might not get the equivelant if you do not have an HD package. Usually with just basic and an HD box you will only have locals in HD, maybe a few others depending on your market.
But as stated ONE MOMENT PLEASE means there is an issue. NOT AUTHORIZED means just that.
You will need a tech out to find out why you are not getting those channels.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"