spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shaun

@opaltelecom.net

Zyxel Wireless Router continually losing its connection.

Hi hope somone can help.
I'm having big probs with a Wireless Router I purchased recently. First time I've ever used one, it was purchased to share my internet connection with my daughters new xmas laptop running Vista Home Basic to my desktop running XP Home.

However, although the laptop connects effortlessly to the internet when the router is showing a connection on my PC, it's continually losing the connection on my PC. It will keep its connection for perhaps 20-30 mins and then lose it. Even restarting the router doesn't make any difference. So far the only way I've found to correct it is to re-boot my PC which will, on most occasions, give me a good connection. However, it will then lose the connection all over again some 20 mins later.

The router is ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v2 with Zynos Firmware Version v3.40 (AXL.0). Release Date 28/05/07.
I'm really not in the know regarding setting routers & networks up. I was hoping to network my PC and the laptop together if only to allow my daughter to wirelessly print things from her laptop to the printer connected to my PC but haven't been able to. Anyway, thats another story for another day.

If I'm being honest I don't think I've got the network side of things quite right. For instance when I go into Network Connections on my PC and highlight the ZyXEL Wireless Connection I get the message 'Windows cannot configure this wireless connection'. It then goes on to say something about starting the Wireless Zero Configuration Service, whatever that is??

Another thing which is puzzling me, the router came with the G202 Wireless USB Adapter. This is continually plugged into my PC. Is this correct? Or should it be plugged into the laptop? I removed it from my PC to try it in the laptop and it lost the connection so I'm assuming its right to leave it in my PC.

However, if anyone can help me with the more pressing problem of the router losing its connection I will be eternally grateful.

Hope I haven't confused anyone with my non-techo speak but I feel I've explained things as best as I can.
Looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

Regards - Shaun

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO

2 edits
Start ...Run...type services.msc enter
Down the bottom of the list is Wireless zero service. It should show "started" "automatic" if not right click on it and under properties select automatic. Ok reboot. This may not be your only problem, but it's a start.

tom_thumb

join:2007-12-31
WF6 2HL
Thanks for that.

Yes, done that. Wireless Zero service was showing as set to ''automatic'' but it wasn't ''started''. I've now started it. So what happens now......

Sorry to be a pain.

Shaun

SmurfLurf

join:2007-12-18
Whittier, CA
reply to Shaun
If you have the 'Z' icon in the system tray, down near the time, right-click on it and exit. I'd also suggest going to Start > Run > type 'msconfig' go to Startup across the top and uncheck any box that says ZyXEL, ZyAIR, or G202. This will disable the ZyXEL Utility from starting up and allow WZC to control the wireless adapter. This will just prevent any conflicts caused between the two utilities.

Also, yes you want to leave the G202 in your computer if it is not hard-wired into your router with an Ethernet cable... For quicker assistance I'd recommend contacting ZyXEL support...

tom_thumb

WF6 2HL
reply to Shaun
Thanks so far for your help.

The ZyXEL wireless network now appears in my available network list, which is a very welcome development. However, although the router is not disconnecting as much as it was, occasionally I'm getting the message ''acquiring network address'', which is causing me to lose connection, although I'm able to reconnect directly from the connect button within the network list. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last hour.

Again, any help will be much appreciated.

SmurfLurf

Whittier, CA
reply to Shaun
Ok...aside from updating to the latest driver for your device; »ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/G-202/driver/G-202_2.0.2.5.zip.
Also, ensure you run windows update and have all the necessary updates installed...

Make sure any firewalls running on your computer are either disabled or setup to allow the connection from your router.

tom_thumb

WF6 2HL
Windows update is valid and all necessary updates are set to download when they become available. My firewalls are configured to allow the router connection.

I will try the latest driver and see if that helps.

Thanks.

tom_thumb

WF6 2HL
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding installing G202 drivers? I've downloaded the required file but have no idea how to actually install it.

tom_thumb

WF6 2HL
I would appreciate it if someone can explain the best way to install new drivers for the ZyXEL G202 USB Adapter please.

SmurfLurf

Whittier, CA
reply to Shaun
The wonders of google...»www.cyberwalker.net/article/449

Pretty basic walkthrough and explanation, the actual update process is down towards the last paragraphs at the bottom...

tom_thumb

WF6 2HL
Thank you!

tom_thumb

WF6 2HL
I'm still having lots of problems regarding loss of conection & ''acquiring network address'' issues.

Can someone have at look at my ipconfig/all output and tell me if something is wrong.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : shaun-5aaee2988
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ZyXEL G-202 Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-CB-04-57-66
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 01 January 2008 16:39:08
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 January 2008 16:39:08

C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun>

Thank you!

SmurfLurf

Whittier, CA
I don't see any problems with your 'ipconfig' output...