Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL

Still a blinking Red Light??

I ordered DSL recently, and today (New Year's Eve) is the first day of my having the DSL service.

I even got the call that said that the DSL was hooked up. Thing is, the "DSL" light on my modem is still blinking red.

So, I'm wondering what's going on here.

I live in an apartment building, so I suppose it's possible that someone else may be getting DSL at my expense.

I also have the Motorola 2210 modem, which I guess is the new thing (no Speedstream).

So how did I make this post? Well, I also have cable and dial-up, and I got the DSL with the idea of dropping the dial-up.

I did everything. I have a filter between the jacks and every POTS device, except the modem of course.

I also went onto the Registration web server using a different Internet connection, thinking that doing so finally enable the service. Although, I certainly hope this isn't what's necessary, since this method requires the user to have multiple connections, something that's true for me but not for most.

Argh!

I'd post in the AT&T Direct forum, but I figure that they can't do anything until the 2nd. I also want to ensure that it's not something I did.

One more thing, a couple times the DSL light blinked green, almost as if a connection could be made. But, it then didn't work and went back to blinking red. Both times took place prior to my accessing the registration server. So perhaps, the registration server is irrelevant to whether or not I should get a green light.

Gurt me

join:2003-06-23
Normal, IL

1 recommendation

We had a complete nightmare getting our phone and DSL service transferred to another address within the SAME city. In short, it took hours on the phone and a MONTH for the Internet to transfer.

They claimed that we cancelled the Internet instead of simply transferring it. Someone screwed it up. We attempted to re-order the DSL 3 times before the order finally went in.

Plus, they charged us a $99 DSL cancellation fee for DSL we never cancelled!

That took another 2 hours to work out.

AT&T support is the ABSOLUTE WORSE!! We dread calling everytime we have to because we end up being on the phone for hours just to resolve ONE issue.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Ben

...um...back on topic...

Since you live in an apartment, the problem is mostly probably with the Inside Wiring (IW) from where ever the telco drops off the pair to your apartment. If I was you I'd call in and try to get a ticket in the system for no sync.

What really needs to be done is a dispatch needs to be scheduled to get that issue resolved. Not a major issue really, just happens some times. With high turn over, and phone/intercom systems apartments are notorious for this.

for the record, a blinking red light means no signal...registering won't do anything....except start your billing of course
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

Mainegirl and my Beer Review's

Toucansam

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Ben

If you have dial-up, I would assume that this is a lineshare and not a dry loop. That being the case, the IW must be connected properly or you would not have dial-tone. That leaves the possibility of an intercom system or unfiltered phone device, such as a satellite dish receiver, your dial-up modem or an answering machine.

TheDuck

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
reply to Ben

Not an answer to your problem but with AT7T DSL you have free dial up. Just use your DSL log in and password.
As was mentioned call and get on the list. Also being a holiday week end it may neo be connected yet so keep an eye on it till midnight....

Ben
Premium
Glen Carbon, IL
reply to Dennis

Click for full size
My Phone Line Map
said by Dennis:

...um...back on topic...

Since you live in an apartment, the problem is mostly probably with the Inside Wiring (IW) from where ever the telco drops off the pair to your apartment. If I was you I'd call in and try to get a ticket in the system for no sync.

What really needs to be done is a dispatch needs to be scheduled to get that issue resolved. Not a major issue really, just happens some times. With high turn over, and phone/intercom systems apartments are notorious for this.

for the record, a blinking red light means no signal...registering won't do anything....except start your billing of course
At my apartment, there is no intercom system. Every unit has it's own entrance to the outside.

As for the blinking red light, I feared that it meant just what you said.

At this point, I'm inclined to think there's a problem at their end, not mine. Unless it's something I haven't thought of. I made a map that shows what my phone line set-up looks like.

Some notes about the map:

- If you see two "connections" into a device that isn't a DSL Filter or a Jack, it means that device has a "pass-through" port, as many devices do.

- The "Master Jack" is the Jack that connects me with the outside world. The plug that normally goes into it connects to the rest of the Inside Wiring.

To improve the signal, I tried to connect the DSL modem straight into the "Master Jack." I'd think it would make a difference, but it doesn't appear to do so.

Ben
Premium
Glen Carbon, IL
reply to Toucansam

said by Toucansam :

If you have dial-up, I would assume that this is a lineshare and not a dry loop. That being the case, the IW must be connected properly or you would not have dial-tone. That leaves the possibility of an intercom system or unfiltered phone device, such as a satellite dish receiver, your dial-up modem or an answering machine.
Lineshare? What do you mean?

There is no intercom system.

As for unfiltered devices, I checked for that. There doesn't appear to be any. The map I posted includes everything I have connected to the phone line.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

ok, well...if you think you have all your ducks in a row, have you called in yet and asked for a ticket?

Ben
Premium
Glen Carbon, IL

said by Dennis:

ok, well...if you think you have all your ducks in a row, have you called in yet and asked for a ticket?
I just did. The CSR said that someone in maintenance will call me tomorrow. Hopefully they will, and hopefully I will happen to be home to get the call. If I'm not, hopefully I will be able to call them back directly.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Ben

said by Ben:

"Lineshare" refers to having DSL on the same line as phone service. A "dry loop" is a DSL line without phone service.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

Ben
Premium
Glen Carbon, IL

said by insomniac:

said by Ben:

"Lineshare" refers to having DSL on the same line as phone service. A "dry loop" is a DSL line without phone service.
Oh right. I don't know how that slipped my mind at the time.

OT: Nice sig. /OT

Ben
Premium
Glen Carbon, IL
reply to Ben

I have an update on the situation, which I outlined in this post.