how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

martinburger

join:2008-01-01
Woodmere, NY

How activate Busy Signal

I would like to have a caller to get a busy signal if they call me and I am talking on the phone. I asked Viatalk to turn off call waiting, which they did. Now if I have voicemail active then caller gets routed to voicemail when I am on the phone (makes sense). If I disable voicemail then caller gets a "the number is not answering" message. Viatalk support responded with "I am sorry but our system does not provide a busy signal when you are on the phone". When I had Vonage they were able to do it. Is there anything I can do on the PAP2T to get the busy signal or does it have to be done further up the stream.

B
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-28

I never thought about that -- they never provide a busy signal under any circumstances?

-- B
--
In a realm outside causality and function

dmolavi
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Sewell, NJ
reply to martinburger

if it's just one particular number you want to get a busy signal for, you could just put that in to the blacklist temporarily with BUSY as the option. come to think of it, why not just set DND to BUSY while you're on the line?
--
Get your Gizmo Admin Passwords, Unlock Instructions, and How To use your Gizmo with other providers at Sunrocket Gizmo Administrator Passwords.
NukedGallery.net

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

I want my phone to act like it did in the "old" days. If I am on the phone the caller should get a busy signal, if not let the phone ring and my answering machine will pick up the phone (and I can therefore screen the call to determine if I should pick it up or call back later). Nothing more, nothing less.

CyberSultan
Premium
join:2006-07-20

said by martinburger:

I want my phone to act like it did in the "old" days. If I am on the phone the caller should get a busy signal, if not let the phone ring and my answering machine will pick up the phone (and I can therefore screen the call to determine if I should pick it up or call back later). Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't personally know of any VOIP provider that offers something like this (this legacy POTS behavior).

I guess this thread can serve as a feature request for VT, but I doubt it will be high on the priority list (and will probably require a lot more people asking for the same thing).

B
Premium,MVM
reply to martinburger

I hear you (no pun intended). It's somewhat absurd that you'd have to explain how you want a busy signal when your phone is... busy. Then again, I've been trying to "just use my answering machine" instead of voice mail for months now. Sometimes it just goes to voice mail, even though we've never configured or enabled voice mail. (This problem may have been fixed last month but it's too soon to know for sure. There are several threads about it.)

That said, I think the "number not answering" message, while freakin' annoying (and indicative of a non-standard phone system to the caller) is a moderately adequate substitute for a busy signal, as long as it always works the same way.

Come to think of it, I chose "busy signal" for all my blocked numbers. (I think it's the default too.)

-- B
--

martinburger

Woodmere, NY
reply to CyberSultan

I just transfered from Vonage. Vonage had EXACTLY this behavior. I disabled call waiting and voicemail and it did just what I wanted.

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

1 recommendation

reply to B

>That said, I think the "number not answering" message, while freakin' annoying (and indicative of a non-standard phone system to the caller) is a moderately adequate substitute for a busy signal, as long as it always works the same way.

I am afraid that the message "number is not answering" may be interpreted as "you dialed the wrong number or a non-working one" for a new caller. A busy signal or my answering machine message is not ambiguous and will not turn a caller away. They will either call back or leave a message.

CyberSultan
Premium
reply to martinburger

said by martinburger:

I just transfered from Vonage. Vonage had EXACTLY this behavior. I disabled call waiting and voicemail and it did just what I wanted.
I use several VOIP providers, but Vonage is not one of them. So I did not know Vonage had this feature.

You are going to find some similarities between providers...and some completely different feature sets as well. Like I said, if you want to see VT consider a feature like this, you will probably need a lot of consensus from other posters. VT will then need to determine if they want to spend development resources on this and what priority to place on it if they do.

B
Premium,MVM

1 edit
reply to martinburger

said by martinburger:

I am afraid that the message "number is not answering" may be interpreted as "you dialed the wrong number or a non-working one" for a new caller.
Yes; much agreed. Though it's still slightly better than Sunrocket, whose standard unchangeable behavior for anonymous call blocking was indeed to tell callers your phone number was no longer in service!

-- B
--

Fisamo
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
·VOIPO
reply to CyberSultan

Vonage was the first VoIP I had tried. In this regard, they are most like a POTS phone--disable voicemail and call waiting, and your phone will give a busy signal if it's off the hook. Disable voicemail and "Network Down" number forwarding, and disconnect your ATA--you get a "number not in service" message. At least you did about 3 years ago.

As others in this thread have mentioned, it's not all that common for a VoIP provider to send back a busy signal for a busy line. Most VoIP subscribers don't want it--they either expect Call Waiting to work, or they expect hte call to be dumped immediately to voicemail.

That said, I am a bit surprised that a VoIP service that's built off Asterisk doesn't have a fairly straightforward way to have the system detect a 'busy' line state and return a busy signal, provided call waiting and voicemail are disabled.

TexasPlus
Don't Blame Me I Voted For The American
Premium
join:2004-06-16
Bedford, TX
reply to martinburger

I do not know if this would work, but could a ViaTalk number be dedicated to always provide the sound of a busy signal when it answers? Then just route to the "busy phone number".
--
"The world is a book; those who do not travel read but a single page." -St. Augustine

Russell_

join:2006-04-06

said by TexasPlus:

I do not know if this would work, but could a ViaTalk number be dedicated to always provide the sound of a busy signal when it answers? Then just route to the "busy phone number".
And if multiple calls are routed to it at the same time, and it also has voicemail and call-waiting disabled and calls forwarded to that busy number ...
--
Russell

tommy13v
Premium
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY
reply to martinburger

Viatalk, just change the asterisk sound to a busy signal already. My grandma gets so confused and thinks I don't want to talk to her.
--
Click to Call for Asterisk servers
Asterisk4Soho coming soon!

JimDog

join:2007-08-16
Westerville, OH
reply to martinburger

If you're not using ViaTalk's voice mail at all, you could enable it, record your voice mail greeting as a busy signal sound and make it really long so a caller would hang up before they reach the point to leave a message. It's a makeshift way to do it but it would probably work as long as the caller is sent directly to voice mail when you're on the phone. If it rings a few times before going to voice mail, that might be a little weird.

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

Different vendor’s way of handling call waiting/busy etc. has given me nothing but grief. I wish all would adhere to one standard.

As an example, to save my mother some money a few years ago, I switched my mother from Verizon to IDT. Problem turned out that IDT did not offer an option to turn off call waiting. This caused grief to my mother who at 80+ years old could not be taught how to use it, and got annoyed by the call waiting tones interfering with her conversation. For me, it was nothing but grief. If I called up my mother and she happened to be on the phone with another caller, instead of me hearing a busy signal and calling back later, I wind up hearing the phone ring and then get nervous if my mother is ok. Needless to say I had to switch back to Verizon, who fortunately offered their "value" plan, a simple plan without any bells and whistles (i.e. no call waiting, caller id etc. - perfect)

Currently I am dealing with VT as follows. (1)Disable call waiting - this way I am not disturbed on my phone calls. (2) Voicemail with notification to my cell phone. This way I can retrieve messages in a timely fashion. Problem is that I now have to call my wife throughout the day to tell her that she got a call from so-and-so. Annoying to say the least and considering I get 100 free text messages a month on my cell phone plan this will begin to cost me money.

I was hoping that some magical parameter in the PAP2T will make the busy signal work.

iel

@rr.com
reply to CyberSultan

said by CyberSultan:

said by martinburger:

I don't personally know of any VOIP provider that offers something like this (this legacy POTS behavior).

I guess this thread can serve as a feature request for VT, but I doubt it will be high on the priority list (and will probably require a lot more people asking for the same thing).
Callcentric does this in their call treatments: »www.callcentric.com/img/screensh···reat.gif but not surprising that this isn't a common feature.

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

I would be satisfied if ViaTalk would allow one to replace their "the number is not answering" message with a user recorded message. This way I would replace it with something along the line - "Hello, this is " - your name - ", I am either busy or have a problem with my phone line, please try again later, thank you".

CyberSultan
Premium

said by martinburger:

I would be satisfied if ViaTalk would allow one to replace their "the number is not answering" message with a user recorded message. This way I would replace it with something along the line - "Hello, this is " - your name - ", I am either busy or have a problem with my phone line, please try again later, thank you".
Not to side-track this thread, but you reminded me of something I would like added to the Custom Call Routing feature. Just like the DND feature has a "Do Not Disturb" message option which basically says no one is currently available to take the call, I would like that same option made available in Custom Call Routing as well. The option plays a message for the caller and does not allow them to leave a message.

I think a better label for the option might be "Announce Only", though.

Russell_

Yes, "Announce Only" as them old fashioned answering machines have would be a useful feature addition.
--
Russell

LottaMoxie

join:2007-06-04
reply to martinburger

Well I suppose you could use something like GrandCentral which allows you to have a custom greeting for each caller and then record a busy signal as your 'greeting' and assign it to that caller, but then again they would always hear a busy signal when it went to voice mail.

Hmmmmm....

interesting dilemma.

VTBrendan
Viatalk
Premium
join:2005-06-27
Clifton Park, NY
kudos:1

Hi,

Try connecting to chicago-1a and see if it gives you the behavior you are looking for.

-Brendan

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

said by VTBrendan:

Hi,

Try connecting to chicago-1a and see if it gives you the behavior you are looking for.

-Brendan
Brendan, I am new to ViaTalk, how do I do that.

CyberSultan
Premium

said by martinburger:

said by VTBrendan:

Hi,

-Brendan
Brendan, I am new to ViaTalk, how do I do that.
Are you a provisioned user or BYOD? If you are a provisioned user, call Tech Support (or a ticket) to get the Admin name and password for your adapter. Once you have that, you can go into your adapter, turn off provisioning temporarily (setting 'No' on the Provisioning tab once you switch to Advanced viewing mode), then change your servername on the Line1 tab to 'chicago-1a.vtnoc.net'.

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

I am, what you called "provisioned", and I do have the admin password and will try it when I get home from work.

Thanks!

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

Brendan, fantastic! Works like a charm! I turned off provisioning, disabled voicemail, dialed my own number from my phone and got a busy signal. I then called my number from another line and then called my number from my cell phone and got a busy signal!!!!

ViaTalk rocks! First you guys were able to disable call waiting for me and then this busy sgnal fix, that is what I call service!

Now what do I have to do i.e. leave my PAP2T provisioning off and pointing to Chicago or will you roll this fix over to all servers (I assume the fix was to generate busy signal if voicemail is turned off and line is busy or not reachable)

Russell_

said by martinburger:

Now what do I have to do i.e. leave my PAP2T provisioning off and pointing to Chicago or will you roll this fix over to all servers (I assume the fix was to generate busy signal if voicemail is turned off and line is busy or not reachable)
Or, just open a ticket and ask them to move you to chicago-1a. Then you can turn provisioning back on as you'll now be provisioned on chicago-1a.
--
Russell

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

Thanks, I am now provisioned and pointing to Chicago. Everything seems to be working fine now. I had to change the "number of seconds your phone will ring before it goes to voicemail" to the smallest value offered, which was 5. If a call comes in and one is on the phone, the second line will ring, when the system wants to go to voicemal, it will then generate the busy signal. When set to 5 seconds, this results in the caller hearing one ring then the busy signal. I am fine with this, it even gives me the oportunity to see via caller id who the caller actually was.

Again many thanks for your help.

B
Premium,MVM

I can't help but say this -- how can entire swaths of customers in good conscience be treated differently based on what SIP server they're on? Because of martinburger's request, now EVERY customer who HAPPENS to be using chicago-1a is getting different behavior than every other customer? That's just... wrong. It's like being in a beta program without asking for it.

I guess if it's VT's intent to quickly spread his new settings (which as noted I happen to prefer anyway) to the other servers then it doesn't much matter, but I don't like the idea that different servers are going to lead to unpredictably different results... I'm provisioned at present so I'm not exactly in control of it either.

-- B
--

martinburger

Woodmere, NY

I assume most people use voicemail so will not see any difference anyway.

I of course would prefer that this behavior to propogate to all servers. From an operational point of view, changing on one server makes sense, this way if there is a problem, it will not impact all users, after a period of time and there is no prblems with the change then they can propogate changes to all servers.