uniqs
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04 to martinburger

Premium Member

to martinburger

Re: How activate Busy Signal

Right, mostly agreed, unless some customers are counting on the existing behavior, have different preferences than you or I do, and are confused by or reject the change.

That might be a non-existent group in this case, but it's still a change and there can always be unintended consequences. My concern is for the possible general state of "differentness" among the various locations, not just for this small change but for other possible variances. Luckily, I suppose, as a provisioned user I'm leaving it in their hands anyhow.

-- B
martinburger
join:2008-01-01
Woodmere, NY

martinburger

As a new customer I am tickled pink that ViaTalk is responsive and responds in a timely manner to reasonable requests.
martinburger

martinburger

said by martinburger:

Thanks, I am now provisioned and pointing to Chicago. Everything seems to be working fine now. I had to change the "number of seconds your phone will ring before it goes to voicemail" to the smallest value offered, which was 5. If a call comes in and one is on the phone, the second line will ring, when the system wants to go to voicemal, it will then generate the busy signal. When set to 5 seconds, this results in the caller hearing one ring then the busy signal. I am fine with this, it even gives me the oportunity to see via caller id who the caller actually was.

Again many thanks for your help.
As an update, setting number of rings to 5 was incorrect, all calls went busy after one ring. I tested it by dialing my number with another phone and picking up after first ring and then tested the busy signal logic by then placing a call.

My current configuration works even better. I set number of rings to 30, more than enough time for my answering machine to pick up. I then disabled my second line via control panel. This resulted in an immediate busy signal to caller if I am on the line - PLUS - I still can make outgoing calls on the second line! The best of both worlds.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04

Premium Member

You can make second line calls even when the second line is "disabled"?

-- B
martinburger
join:2008-01-01
Woodmere, NY

martinburger

So far I am able. I am hoping that it remains this way.

System acts like disabling second line will not flow incoming calls to second line hence the immediate busy signal to caller if I am busy on main line. With call waiting disabled and voicemail disabled and me pointing to Chicago, call has nowhere to go hence busy signal (which is exactly what I want!).

I guess the interpretation of "disabling" second line would be to disable it from incoming calls and all logic that goes with it, but I see no harm in keeping the outgoing calling ability, if one is entitled, after all one does not have to use it for outgoing calls or even to connect a phone to the line2 jack.