uniqs

Ben
Premium Member
join:2007-06-17
Fort Worth, TX

Ben

Premium Member

AT&T Needs More Knowledgable Sales People

I know this post might be construed as anti-AT&T, in the AT&T forum no less. However, I feel my complaint is valid.

So, I tried to order DSL in mid-December, being told that I could get it.

I have problems, and I can't get a DSL signal, as I outlined in this post.

So, I called up tech support. I'd normally slam the Level 1 support, but then I figure that most people aren't as technically inclined as I am, and the company does need to appeal to the masses who ask "What's the Start button?" and "my cup-holder (Optical drive) is broken."

So, I get to the line maintenance people. The very nice fellow said that I'm 22,000 feet from the C.O., which is way too far. He also checked for U-Verse Internet, though of course that didn't work either. U-Verse came to St. Louis and the surrounding areas, but not on the IL side.

He explained to me that the info they had to perform calculations was wrong, that they'd only figured that I was 16,000 ft. away, although he said they shouldn't have tried to sell it to me even then, which makes sense.

The company really needs to either educate their sales people, or provide them with better information.

One good thing I can say is that while some of the people may not know what they're talking about, I didn't encounter any rude people.

This may sound like a rant, and in some ways I suppose it is, as I'm expressing displeasure. However, it's more of a suggestion than anything, to prevent issues like this in the future.

I can also say another good thing. Upon that fellow's announcement to me that I can't use the DSL, he said that I won't have to pay any DSL related fees and that they'll send me a UPS shipping label in the mail so I can return the modem without paying anything.

But I must also mention that if they had better internal communication, then they could have prevented this. They could have saved money on shipping the modem, as well as time, both mine and theirs.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

I remember simelar posts in 2000.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to Ben

Mod

to Ben
crap....sorry about that. Things are always going to slip through the cracks somehow, but it still sucks when it happens.
syscom123
join:2007-12-19
Cleveland, OH

syscom123 to Ben

to Ben
Similar problem here but with Worldnet and my local SBC(Ameritech). Had been told back in 2004 that I am well within CO range to get Preferred Plan which was up to 3.0 Mbps download. Worked fine and slowly degraded with connections. Found out due to old plant, noise on line, etc. Speed was reduced to safe mode. Last month so much noise that I went to 1.5Mbps until repaired. The 2 Worldnet reps argued back and forth while my charges were reduced temporarily "that if I restore to 3.0 from 1.5 I was to be charged an additional $39.95" even though it was their problem. WTF?? The line has been cleared and the SBC(AT&T) craft person said I was good to go at 3.0 again. Now Worldnet says I am too far from the CO (15200ft)and should never had the 3.0. What was I paying for those years? BUT..Hopefully with the help of the techs on this site some of the questions are clearing up..as far as concerned this is the best site for help. Thanks

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Why Worldnet? In Ameritech space, why not 'at&t Yahoo! HSI'?
AFAIK, Worldnet rides on CLEC service from Covad, instead of a direct ATTIS provision.

armyrebel4
Dream Chaser
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Springfield, IL

armyrebel4

Premium Member

Don't even get me started with that. Earthlink through covad used to be horrible. You couldn't even keep sync for an hour back in 2002.
syscom123
join:2007-12-19
Cleveland, OH

syscom123 to NormanS

to NormanS
I had Worldnet prior to the SBC Yahoo offer and they would not switch e-mail address like they do now, or I was told. We still have old plant in the neighborhood and little FO installation yet. Until it's upgraded this is what you get. I am still satisfied with Worldnet but they should have been upfront with available service and quality I would get due to location. Even now I can still have the 3.0 but service can't be guaranteed. When you order the service and it says it's available for your number I would expect it to be available is all.
syscom123

syscom123 to armyrebel4

to armyrebel4
I agree..Earthlink was not very good with Covad. Even if Covad, Worldnet still maintains the circuits I was told.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to syscom123

Mod

to syscom123
This *is* the AT&T forum right?

ryder9
join:2003-01-09
here

ryder9 to Ben

to Ben
maybe it they stop firing people like my wife for giving FULL SALES DISCLOSURES and not selling "enough" affiliate services(like "Dish") and hiring sales drones under a different job title for 40% less pay and no bene's, the drones are there for sales and sales only, they could give a shit about service as long as they sold you dsl.... Just like at&t refuses to arbitrate PAR like the state and appellate court said, trying to take it to the SCOTUS, where they won't hear the case and they will have to HIRE the SERVICE REPS back, and pay out the ass.... next time you call at&t ask the girl(or guy) what her tittle is... 8/10ths of the time they'll say a service consultant.....

/rant off

Ben
Premium Member
join:2007-06-17
Fort Worth, TX

Ben

Premium Member

said by ryder9:

maybe it they stop firing people like my wife for giving FULL SALES DISCLOSURES and not selling "enough" affiliate services(like "Dish") and hiring sales drones under a different job title for 40% less pay and no bene's, the drones are there for sales and sales only, they could give a shit about service as long as they sold you dsl.... Just like at&t refuses to arbitrate PAR like the state and appellate court said, trying to take it to the SCOTUS, where they won't hear the case and they will have to HIRE the SERVICE REPS back, and pay out the ass.... next time you call at&t ask the girl(or guy) what her tittle is... 8/10ths of the time they'll say a service consultant.....

/rant off
I don't know if they work on commission, but if they do, they still have to be sure that the service works. If it doesn't, do they really expect me to just overlook the fact it doesn't work and keep paying for it?

If the service doesn't work, then I'm going to cancel the next day. And if the sale isn't made, then they don't get a commission.

If they don't work on commission, then what motivation do they have to make any sales at all?
Ben

Ben

Premium Member

So now I'm wondering, if there's anyway I can ensure that I can get it before I try ordering later.

Perhaps I should just call tech support and ask for the line maintenance department? Have them tell me how far I am from the C.O.?

ryder9
join:2003-01-09
here

1 edit

ryder9 to Ben

to Ben
as far as the company sees a completed order, its a completed sale,.......It may come out the NEXT month, but its still a sale and they don't get ding for it... And they do get commision checks, avg. between $3-5k. I think once the moth is closed.... It's closed and outs don't cout against THEM..... I'm not sure, I'll check with my wife, for clarification