spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cspector
join:2000-05-05
Chesterfield, MO

cspector

Best AT&T DSL Modem

Could someone please provide some suggestions or oppinions on the best at&t dsl modem to use. I have been looking at the 2wire, but currently have the motorola 2210.

dslwanter
20 years on this site
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

dslwanter

Premium Member

What's wrong with your current modem? The Speedstream modem series from Efficient Networks however are pretty standard and seem to do very well. I heard the old Westell modems are pretty good too.

I have a pretty crappy loop, but between a 2wire and a Speedstream the Speedstreams have proved more efficient.

How long have you had service? You may be able to call up and say "hey, I've been a customer for X years, any chance I can get an updated modem"? Or you can look on eBay or perhaps Best Buy.
cspector
join:2000-05-05
Chesterfield, MO

cspector

I just got service and have the motorola 2210. I didn't ask you where I would purchase them. I asked oppinions on what the best DSL modem is out there.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to cspector

MVM

to cspector
I think the best modem available has been the 4100b. It remains to be seen if the 2210 is its equal. Under certain types of poor loop conditions, the recent model 2Wires can perform better because they don't "try" to use every possible tone bin. By not "trying" to overachieve, they don't set them selves up for failure (loss of sync and higher CRC errors).

dslwanter
20 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 edit

dslwanter to cspector

Premium Member

to cspector
said by cspector:

I just got service and have the motorola 2210. I didn't ask you where I would purchase them. I asked oppinions on what the best DSL modem is out there.
Alrighty then, specifically the Speedstream 4100 has done well for me.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

OSUGoose to cspector

to cspector
FYI in the future, its best not to be rude when given information. He gave you your answer and provided you ways to obtaion one.
derk0
join:2000-08-31
Cleveland, OH

2 edits

derk0 to cspector

to cspector
I am using an Efficient Networks Speedstream 5260 that I started using in July 2000 when my first DSL was XO Communications through Covad . It worked fine when I switched to Speakeasy in 2002 and to SBC Yahoo now ATT Yahoo DSL in 2005.

Speakeasy also supplied me first with a Zyxel 645 for free and then a Briteport something later. Zyxel and Briteport work as well and they are my backups.

dslwanter
20 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

dslwanter to cspector

Premium Member

to cspector
All of the speedstreams seem very effective. My 4100 has a lot, and I mean a lot, of mileage on it. I broadcast my internet radio station live 24/7/365 at 64kbps. Only time it isn't doing anything is when I'm having one of those summer days with thunderstorms and sync loss or if there's a network outage or maintenance I have to do on the station itself.
Expand your moderator at work