Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

4 edits

11 recommendations

[POLL] Newsreaders - 2008 Member Choice

News Clients (formerly Usenet Newsreaders or NNTP Clients) allow access to Usenet newsgroups. Newsgroups (aka UseNet) are organized by hierarchy and include almost every conceivable topic. These message forums or discussion groups reside on thousands of Usenet servers which communicate with each other and with end users via NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol), RFC 0977 and RFC 2980. Most serious discussion takes place within the "Big 8" hierarchies (comp, humanities, misc, news, rec, sci, soc, and talk). Newsgroups encompass everything from some of the best high level discussion forums, to a haven for the worst flaming, kooks, trolls and sockpupets in all the internet. It is also a massive file sharing venue for every possible subject, most of which is posted in the alt.binaries.* hierarchy.

In recent years, the amount of material available on Usenet has grown dramatically and continues to increase. Today, a full Usenet feed is over 2 terabytes per day, most of it from the posting of binaries. Some newsreaders are designed for downloading binaries, others are for reading text and participating in discussions, and some work well for both. With so much material available daily, services have arisen which attempt to index the binary content of Usenet. One of the most popular is NZB (NewZBin) indexing. An NZB indexing service creates a text file which can be read by your NZB aware NNTP client to automatically download the files you want, without downloading and searching all the overviews (headers) in each newsgroup. An excellent introduction to newsgroup binaries for beginners is Slyck's Guide to the Newsgroups.

This poll is about Usenet NNTP clients only. Please do not post RSS Aggregators (sometimes called "NewsReaders") here. They are not related to Usenet or NNTP. If you access Newsgroups via the web, e.g. Google Groups or MailGate, please include that information in your comments. Also if you run a local NNTP proxy server such as Hamster or NewsPlex, please mention it in your comments. Please supply reasons for your choices. Include your personal experiences, pros & cons, any comparisons with other readers, what newsgroup providers or indexing services used, and anything else that you think might be useful.

This year, there is no choice of "other." Last year that choice was used only by people who thought the poll was about RSS Aggregators and it messed up the results. If your choice is not on the list, it is likely your favorite "newsreader" is actually an RSS Aggregator. If you use an unlisted NNTP client please provide a link to the home page if possible.

Special thanks to fourboxers See Profile and lilhurricane See Profile for patiently helping me learn how to create a poll.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA

I love newsleecher although I have been thinking about switching to newsbin since they offer a lifetime license.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to jmorlan

Grabit.
Free and it works.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to jmorlan

Thanks for the great poll jmorlan See Profile!!

NewsBin Pro v5 is my choice.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to jmorlan

Great poll, jmorlan See Profile!

Thanks for the compilation..I chose none here.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to jmorlan

Nice job on the poll jmorlan See Profile.
Opera and Thunderbird.

Jigsaw
Stardust We Are
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Cleveland, OH
reply to jmorlan

Been using newsbin Pro for a while now.

Dread
On course
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY
kudos:6
reply to jmorlan

I'm forced to use Unison on mac
Newsleecher was the best newsreader I have ever used.. too bad it's windows only

so I guess my "choice" is Unison
--
48-27

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Ditto. I find myself in Boot Camp more often than I'll run Unison 'cause I miss Newsleecher+SuperSearch so much.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to jmorlan

Thanks for the good comments. Keep 'em coming!

I voted Forte Agent which I have been using since I first moved from DOS to Windows. The newest version does a good job of multiplexing multiple servers and supporting NZB. My main gripe about Agent is that its filtering system seems rather primitive. E.g. you cannot easily filter sporge that is coming from a particular provider.

I used to use Newsplex as a local proxy to multiplex new-servers, but no long see the need when Agent does it all. I just wish it were possible to prioritize more than one server at the same level. That worked great with NewsPlex, but is not available in Agent.

I occasionally access text newsgroups on the web via Google Groups

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to jmorlan

Nice poll jmorlan See Profile!

After using a combination of Agent and XNews from 1994 through 2004, I finally switched to Newsleecher and it's been one of the best pieces of software I've ever had the privilege to purchase.

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to jmorlan

In the past I've played with a couple (don't remember which) when I learned Comcast gave a "free" membership(?) to one.
That was 2 systems ago.
I also voted none.
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

chRoniX10
Peace sells, but who's buying?
Premium
join:2004-05-22
Chatsworth, CA
reply to jmorlan

I use Grabit, when I first discovered Newsgroups I decided to try this program. It works great, has native NZB support and did I mention that it was free?
--
~smooth operator~

RX9735
Premium
join:2002-09-06
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to jmorlan

I have tried all and PAN is the best. It is really a no brainer for the serious usenet fan. It is free and works in both windows and linux.
--
David

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to jmorlan

grabit (mainly) for it's nzb support and outlook ex for general use.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to RX9735

said by RX9735:

I have tried all and PAN is the best. It is really a no brainer for the serious usenet fan. It is free and works in both windows and linux.
I just looked at PAN screenshots - If I wanted a flatfile database view of Usenet, I'd use XNews on Windows - it has all the bells-and-whistles and its interface is not quite as clumbsy looking.
As for my preferred newsreader - Unison on Mac. It sets a new interface standard. If you spend any time browsing the groups, and not just clicking nzb files to launch a newsreader, then you should check it out sometime.
After reading the above comments about Newsleecher being preferred over Unison (by those that have Intel Macs and can Bootcamp or VM into either OS), I'm anxious to try it out. The last time I used Usenet on Windows, XNews was my favorite, and I'm not sure if Newsleecher was even available.

BTW - pretty impressive that Unison is scoring so high though for a commercial application on a non-Redmond OS. Although this is also a bit of a problem for Mac users. While it is an outstanding app in terms of interface, it does lack some of the power-user features that are found elsewhere, and it would be nice to have some worthy competition. Users have been clinging to Thoth, waiting for another power-user option.

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON
reply to jmorlan

I'm still mainly running Newbin Pro v4.32, but I'm using my ISP's usenet service which only has 1 week retention, so I pull headers manually. Of all the clients I've used, including the newer NBP, it still has the cleanest interface IMO. Unfortunately no nzb support in that build.

Recently got my mom setup with TekSavvy, which allows access to usenetserver, and I'm loving NewsLeecher, primarily because of the nzb interface. NBP v5 just didn't seem to work properly.

So, I voted for both, but each have strengths. That said, I could see myself converting to NewsLeecher permanently at my place soon

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to jmorlan

Back when I first started on the `net (don't remember when, but it was on a IBM PS/2 30-286 and used Mindspring Dialup), I received a startup disk from my ISP (the aforementioned Mindspring) that had FreeAgent on it. Ever since then, I have stuck with FreeAgent until a few years ago, then I started buying Agent. Used it ever since...

I have used other programs, but nothing works for me like Agent/Free Agent....
--
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
"We're either gonna die or gonna fly...", Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters - M5 Industries

dot_null
Premium
join:2004-06-28
Kennesaw, GA

1 edit
reply to jmorlan

GrabIt (easy to use, free, has NZB support) on Windows and iGrabNews (free, NZB support) on my Mac

xmc17

@optonline.net
reply to jmorlan

Free prog. Alt.Binz. It's one of the best

penguins4evr
Premium
join:2002-01-17
reply to jmorlan

I checked SABnzbd. Actually I use its successor, SABnzbd+, since the original SABnzbd was abandoned.

I like how it works so well with my Firefox browser.
--
Team Discovery
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Shamayim
I already have a Messiah.
Premium
join:2002-09-23

1 edit
reply to jmorlan

KCrimson wrote: "Users have been clinging to Thoth, waiting for another power-user option."

I use Unison and used to use Thoth. I don't know what Thoth can do that Unison can't.

--
"tick...tick...tick..."
»www.jtf.org/

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ
reply to jmorlan

opera's built in newsreader

FBM

join:2002-07-25
Chicago, IL
reply to xmc17

said by xmc17 :

Free prog. Alt.Binz. It's one of the best
Another vote for alt.binz (that is not in the poll)

Digital
As-Salamu Alaykum
Premium
join:2000-07-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to jmorlan

Grabit/Xnews. (Used NewsX before Xnews.)

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to jmorlan

You should really split Pan into two categories. The new betas (which are extremely stable) are much different (written in C) than the older(stable) version (not written in C). Some people still prefer the older version, although I personally do not understand why.

For text based I use the New Pan, but for NZBs(binaries) Klibido (on my system) is about 20% faster.

TheAnalyzer

join:2006-01-20
reply to jmorlan

Very nice Poll jmorlan

I am using:
Opera

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

Cat Scratch

join:2005-06-27
Portland, OR
reply to jmorlan

Another great poll here on dslreports.com !

Been using Forte Agent when it was v1.92 (still have the floppy somewhere), and upgraded through the years.

I've tried (and LIKED!!) NewsLeecher but it is such a resource hog on my system. Plus having to install .NET Framework.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jmorlan

I would have voted "other" if there were such a category.

I mainly use nn, which is a text mode reader on unix. I occasionally use knode, when I want a gui. I have tried 'tin', 'slrn', 'Thunderbird'. None of them does the job as well as nn (in my opinion).
--
AT&T dsl; Westell 2200 modem/router; SuSE 10.1; firefox 2.0.0.8

Nancymca
Security Goddess, retired.
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Voorheesville, NY
reply to jmorlan

Unison. Tried Nemo in beta and had a hard time with it. Wonder if they ever got it going.....
--
The overall happiness level of the average clam has not yet been precisely quantified.