La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

[FireFox] Scrollbar Width

I'm using a really nice theme called "Aquatint Redone". However, the vertical scrollbar is too narrow, it looks to be half the width it should be. It's driving me nuts as it makes it hard to grab and scroll. Is there a way to increase the width in userChrome.css, and if so, how? I've attached a screenie that I hope will show what I'm talking about. In other themes, the scrollbar is fine.

La Luna

1 edit

La Luna

Premium Member

hmmm, I think I inadvertently fixed it. I opened "customize" on the toolbar, and noticed the scroll bar got wider (normal size) when I did so. When I clicked "done", it stayed that way. Not sure what that did, but it seems fixed now.

Hopefully it will stay.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
Actually, in your first post, it looks like the window is too wide for the screen, or too far right, since the "throbber" is cut off as well.

Maybe the window was resized/repositioned by the option.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

said by DataDoc:

Actually, in your first post, it looks like the window is too wide for the screen, or too far right, since the "throbber" is cut off as well.

Maybe the window was resized/repositioned by the option.
Now this is weird. Narrow scrollbar was back when I started Fx again, but when I opened taskbar "customize" and then immediately clicked "done", it went back to normal. But when I go to another page (like click preview when typing this post), it reverts back to the narrow scrollbar again. Grrrrr!!!

nobody302
Premium Member
join:2004-09-17

nobody302

Premium Member

I agree with DataDoc See Profile. Sounds like the window is "restore down'd" and then resized beyond the size of your resolution. Try clicking the maximize button when this happens. If that doesn't work, could you show us a full screenshot of this?

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

This is so strange. I keep trying different things, which seem to work temporarily, but then it comes back. I tried clicking the maximize button, which worked until I closed Fx and then reopened it, then it was back to narrow scrollbar.

Here is a screenie:

nobody302
Premium Member

nobody302

Premium Member

Try this:
1: Exit all instances of FF (including the download manager)but 1 browser

2: Make it "look right"

3: Hold "Shift" key while clicking the exit button.

4: Open FF again and see what happens.

Worked for me. Good luck!

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Nope, no good.

I just tried two other themes (including default Fx theme), and there is no problem with them, the scrollbar is the normal size. It has to be something with this particular theme.

nobody302
Premium Member

nobody302

Premium Member

Hmm...

Maybe try disabling other extensions to see what happens?

Or you could try creating a new profile for testing: »www.mozilla.org/support/ ··· file#new

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

La Luna

Premium Member

said by nobody302:

Hmm...

Maybe try disabling other extensions to see what happens?

Or you could try creating a new profile for testing: »www.mozilla.org/support/ ··· file#new
Or, I could just shut up and live with it.

Ehh, it's annoying, but not the end of the world. As long as I know it's only some kind of glitch with this one theme (which it appears to be), I'll live with it I guess. I'm sure I'll be switching the theme at some point, although this one IS very nice.

Gunga Din
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Bellmore, NY

4 edits

Gunga Din

Premium Member

Try Auquatint black 1.1.1 or blackgloss 1.0.1, I use them and they work fine. I have had the same problem with some themes in the past, with some the scroll bar would be as you described and at times vanished!

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

La Luna

Premium Member

said by Gunga Din:

Try Auquatint black 1.1.1 or blackgloss 1.0.1, I use them and they work fine. I have had the same problem with some themes in the past, with some the scroll bar would be as you described and at times vanished!
Thanks, I'll give them a try too.

Isn't it annoying?

EDIT: FIXED!! I moved the google search bar up to the navigation toolbar, and that seems to have solved the problem.

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051

MVM

said by La Luna:

EDIT: FIXED!! I moved the google search bar up to the navigation toolbar, and that seems to have solved the problem.
Congrats!

In case you should have any future issues may want to move the Google search box to Main Menu toolbar.

I use the Googlebar Lite, and the dev recommends not putting Googlebar Lite search box on same toolbar as the address box because they both have the "flex" attribute set. Recommends that you place the Googlebar Lite search box on the Main Menu toolbar, or on any other toolbar than toolbar with address box.

I have my Bookmarks (Bookmarks toolbar hidden) and Googlebar Lite search box on the Main Menu toolbar, thus only needing two toolbars.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Thanks for that tip!

I think having the google search box on the bookmark toolbar made the toolbar too wide, causing my scrollbar issue (or something like that). It fixed itself immediately upon moving the google search box.

I will move it to the main menu toolbar like you suggested.

Gunga Din
Premium Member
Bellmore, NY

Gunga Din

Premium Member

I'm glad all is working now! Also beware of adding too many things to the bottom status bar as well, I have ran into problems with that as well. Have fun.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

said by Gunga Din:

I'm glad all is working now! Also beware of adding too many things to the bottom status bar as well, I have ran into problems with that as well. Have fun.
Duly noted, thanks!

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik to Gunga Din

to Gunga Din
That's why Organize Status Bar exists: »yellow5.us/firefox/osb/

You can hide things you don't want to see. If I displayed all those items in my status bar out of all the extensions I have installed I'd be out of real estate already.

Gunga Din
Premium Member
Bellmore, NY

1 edit

Gunga Din

Premium Member

I have tried that but when I used it and moved the placement of the icon for the DSL notifier extension, it messed up the popups and notification.

Lanik
Lab-nik

San Francisco, CA

Lanik

I've moved things numerous times haven't messed up anything ... yet.

Gunga Din
Premium Member
Bellmore, NY

Gunga Din

Premium Member

It worked fine for everything but dls notifier, the update popups would be on the right while the envelope was near the middle and clicking on the popup wouldn't bring you to the updated post, But the dsl extension has not been updated since 12/06 so it may be flaky by nature at this point.

Lanik
Lab-nik

San Francisco, CA

Lanik

I have all the DSLR Notifier (I assume that's what you're talking about) icons next to each other and no problems they all work as advertised.

Gunga Din
Premium Member
Bellmore, NY

Gunga Din

Premium Member

Yes that's what I was talking about but it was some time ago and chances are the version of Organize Status Bar has been updated. Also it could have been a combination of extensions that didn't work well together. At that time I just removed Organize Status Bar and reinstalled DSL and all was fine. I ended up cutting down on how many extensions I use and kept the ones I need and use frequently.