spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CleverSgtPep
join:2008-01-06
Columbus, GA

CleverSgtPep

Regular 15 Minute "Off" Time

In the Columbus area, Knology has been a pretty solid competitor in the cable provided internet market. And I have to say that I have been pretty satisfied with the service. Though, I must admit that my regular downstream throughput hovers more around 3.x Mbps instead of the purported 5 Mbps. It's interesting that I brought this up before their support people via phone call after some extensive speed test had been performed. He agreed that the tests indicated that my connection was "on the slow end" but after conferring with his supervisor the decision was made that my connection was within the guarantee.
I was curious if anyone else noticed a 15 minute period late in the evenings were the service is inaccessible? I have noted on numerous occasions that around 3:30am or so I lose connectivity for about 15 minutes, then it comes back up. Since I usually don't work that late it has never really bothered my, but I was simply interested if anyone else had experienced the same outage.

DJ
Premium Member
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL

DJ

Premium Member

NO problem here in Bibb City (Oates Ave). Speeds are usually well over 6mbps, sometimes down to 5mbps when everybody's home using their connection. I'm on the 6000/384 plan.

That late at night, it's quite possible there's network maintenance occuring. Not long enough, though, for Knology to announce it beforehand.
c0nc3pts6
join:2005-01-13
Columbus, GA

c0nc3pts6 to CleverSgtPep

to CleverSgtPep
Speeds here are normally over 6, but tonight it's actually around 3, something is up. Never experienced the 15 min service outage though.
CleverSgtPep
join:2008-01-06
Columbus, GA

CleverSgtPep

DJ -
Maintenance was exactly what I thought as well. It was just a curiosity of mine.

I do have to admit to you gentleman that you are getting far better throughput than I am. I live out in the Maple Ridge area and honestly think that Knology ended up with more subscribers than the node(s) they ran out here can handle. Though I really can't say that I'm complaining. Even at speeds of 3.1 Mbps it's still everything I need to work from my home. If I really relied on Video Conferencing or some other time sensitive material I would probably be a little more vocal about my speeds.

DJ
Premium Member
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL

DJ

Premium Member

Heh, the subscriber density in your area is nothing compared to where I am. Perhaps you're right, though, maybe they don't have the area balanced as well as they should. Knology does a really good job here, because the speeds are very consistent.

Do you ever see anything close to 6mbps? Have you made sure your computer is tweaked for broadband? This board is nearly silent from Columbus, so that in itself speaks volumes for how well Knology is doing this area.