All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnonymousCoward
@162.53.103.x

AnonymousCoward

Anon

Acanac, bandwith shaping and content filtering question.

I`m hoping someone from Alcanac will be able to address a few questions i have prior to trying your service.

Do you block access to any sites? (this may seem like an silly question but i'm curious)

The next question is similar in nature. Bell Canada has recently admitted to actively shaping traffic on their networks :

Bell and Traffic Shaping - copied directly from »www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 355/196/

"Wednesday November 07, 2007
Many people have written to note that new reports from P2Pnet, Ars Technica, and Technaute.com indicate that Bell has admitted that it is traffic shaping peer-to-peer applications such as BitTorrent. I argued a couple of weeks ago that the starting point to address these issues is for far greater transparency from Canada's ISPs."

Does Acanac also use traffic shaping or can i expect my network traffic to be received as it was sent (unmodified).

Although traffic shaping is not a concern of mine I simply don't like the idea of a service provider modifying my service along the way. If i understood correctly being in the Quebec region Bell will be the company providing the last mile to my location.

Please note I'm thinking about getting the naked dsl option.

I appreciate any replies to these questions from Acanac users or staff.

Steve.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

Thank you you for your interest in our service.

Acanac does not block access to sites. The only exception would be if someone from the same IP range started some type of an attack on our network. An example would be a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack). »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De ··· e_attack
We would have to block the IP range until the attack stopped.

Acanac does not do any type of traffic shaping. Please be aware that Naked DSL costs an extra $8 per month.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Best Regards,
Paul
»www.acanac.ca

Sympatico User
@dsl.bell.ca

Sympatico User to AnonymousCoward

Anon

to AnonymousCoward
Hi,
Please, if you really do not perform Bandwith Traffic Shaping, put it up on your Acanac.com front page in big bold letters, accompanied by "unlike Bell Sympatico and Rogers", since it is all about internet freedom and companies honesty.

»www.azureuswiki.com/inde ··· g#Canada

Bell is now admitting performing such traffic shaping, yet still denies targetting especially P2P applications, which other users (and I) have clearly tested out.

Please also look at ticket JHF-63782 which was too vague to my opinion, since already Bell is being evasive...

Thanks,

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Hello,

We have taken your request into consideration and updated our website. Please see »www.acanac.ca/DSL.html

Thank you
Sandro H.

Bell User
@dsl.bell.ca

Bell User to AnonymousCoward

Anon

to AnonymousCoward
Hi,
Sorry to point out a contradiction in your services, but I was replied the following today...

"Hello

Our high speed internet service has Bandwidth Traffic Shaping as the same as Bell service
Best Regards,
Acanac Inc."

Ticket is JHF-63782, sender of email ( Reza )

Please then "re-update" your main page "acanac.com" (if that someone is right).

Regards

fiestaware
join:2008-01-07

fiestaware

That's very interesting, if true. I'd like to hear an answer to that.

Recently, I received a reply stating:

"You ask about our $18.95/month promotion. The promotion is set to end the end of this month, namely November 2007." [signed by nicholasy]

You'll notice that the promotion hasn't changed.

It seems that the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing at Acanac. Strange for such a small company.

I'm glad I didn't take a chance with them.

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Hello,

Sorry about the response. We have corrected that individual. With respect to fiestaware's comment. This person is new and in training. They made a mistake and they have been informed correctly. Regarding such a small company. Many people are not aware but canaca & acanac have approx 120 employees together. We are always adding new staff as we grow. Between both companies we service approx 80,000 Clients.

Sandro H.

fiestaware
join:2008-01-07

fiestaware