Search similar:

uniqs

MadMANN3
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19

MadMANN3

Premium Member

Where are the money complaints?

With all of the complaints of cable prices around here, I am surprised not to see any complaints about the $48 price.

Comcast 8/768 or 16/2 = $52.95

Not much of a difference MB for MB, and whatever speed tiers are available in your system are available for everyone, despite length from the headend.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Because nobody will say a bad thing about their beloved telco, the almighty Verizon. For a whole $1.91 more I get 15Mb down/1 Mb up Road Runner. DSL is the new dial up, they could offer me their crappy speeds for free and I wouldn't take it. God I can't wait until I can get digital phone from TW so I can get away from Verizon for good.
ShadezeRO
join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ShadezeRO

People usually stick to DSL For the reliablilty, and to try and minimize the chance of being on an oversold node.

It's also generally cheaper, with a larger variety of tiers available.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Right now Verizon has two residential tiers, Granny and 2003. Granny DSL, 768Kb and 2003 DSL, 3Mb. I called it 2003 DSL because 3Mb was the speed of Road Runner back in 2003, it's now 2008. Here TW has three speed tiers, some franchises have 4. Cheaper, well you get what you pay for, breaking the price down, DSL is MUCH more expensive. I pay ~$3.33/megabit per sec per month. Granny DSL is $20/month for less than 1Mb. My cable service has been nothing short of reliable, three outages in five years, two of them on my end (crushed cable replaced the next day, lawn mower sliced cable, TW was out here two hours after it happened) and one ten minute outage at 1 in the morning a few years ago for system maintenance.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 edit

plat2on1 to MadMANN3

to MadMANN3
said by MadMANN3:

With all of the complaints of cable prices around here, I am surprised not to see any complaints about the $48 price.

Comcast 8/768 or 16/2 = $52.95

Not much of a difference MB for MB, and whatever speed tiers are available in your system are available for everyone, despite length from the headend.
of course thats if you subscribe to expensive cable tv...otherwise you are looking at $67.95 for 8/786 or $57.95 for 6/384.

i'd jump on this in a heartbeat if verizon was my telco

MadMANN3
Premium Member

MadMANN3

Premium Member

said by plat2on1:

of course thats if you subscribe to expensive cable tv...otherwise you are looking at $67.95 for 8/786 or $57.95 for 6/384.
And you need a phone line to sub to Verizon's DSL. Add about $15 for bare bones dial tone, plus all of the taxes and fees.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 edit

plat2on1

said by MadMANN3:

said by plat2on1:

And you need a phone line to sub to Verizon's DSL. Add about $15 for bare bones dial tone, plus all of the taxes and fees.
i'm pretty sure verizon does dry dsl.

and even still atleast i get something for that $15, comcast just jacks the price up $15 for no reason

MadMANN3
Premium Member

1 edit

MadMANN3

Premium Member

said by plat2on1:

i'm pretty sure verizon does dry dsl.

and even still atleast i get something for that $15, comcast just jacks the price up $15 for no reason
Actually you are right. However, in the areas where I have read that dry DSL is available, the price reflects more than or the same as if you had a basic phone line.

You can get limited basic TV and internet from Comcast in the same manner where, in most cases, it is actually cheaper than HSI only service.

No matter which service you choose, if you do not really need the TV service or the dial tone, you are paying for something you are not using or need. Therefore, the MB to MB price comparison is still the same.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to ShadezeRO

to ShadezeRO
said by ShadezeRO:

People usually stick to DSL For the reliablilty, and to try and minimize the chance of being on an oversold node.
I thought that first too. Then cable jacked up its speed (I use RR and OOL) so much that even at 1/3 or 1/2 of the advertised speed, IM STILL FASTER than DSL. Upload wise, MAYBE faster. Some cable ISPs have caps and throttling, which makes the upload useless. Some ISPs have 768K or 512K as standard (roadrunner). I have 20/1 RR, so it will always be faster than DSL, even on its worst day.
ShadezeRO
join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ShadezeRO

said by patcat88:

said by ShadezeRO:

I thought that first too. Then cable jacked up its speed (I use RR and OOL) so much that even at 1/3 or 1/2 of the advertised speed, IM STILL FASTER than DSL. Upload wise, MAYBE faster. Some cable ISPs have caps and throttling, which makes the upload useless. Some ISPs have 768K or 512K as standard (roadrunner). I have 20/1 RR, so it will always be faster than DSL, even on its worst day.
Point noted. I said my post since I comcast is the only thing offered in my area. It's a 8/512 (Maybe 768) tier for something of $59.99 a month I think.
I only pay around 36.99 for 6.0. I use a lot of torrent programs, and WoW does too, and that is a major factor on why I dont switch to cable.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 edit

Ulmo to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

said by ShadezeRO:

I've been seeing boost on my upload lately (Comcast). 5Mibibytes/s and stuff. But, I think it was just compression (it compressed to 1.5MBytes), but still that's pretty darn fast, even for just 1.5MB. Very repeatable. (I suppose I could test it.)

EDIT: I did test it. Wow, was I wrong. It always helps to test.

A 10,485,760 byte compressed file tested with lftp:

Inbound 2.56M/s 4s (=around 2,621,440 bytes/s -- not a good sample size)
Outbound 164.5K/s 62s (=169,125 bytes/s)

Tested with scp:

Outbound 167.9KB/s 61s (=171,897 bytes/s)

A 104,857,600 byte compressed file tested with lftp:

Inbound 1.21M/s 83s (=1,263,344 bytes/s)

Obviously, boost ran out for that download.

I'm supposed to have the lower speed tier right now, but the triple play doesn't finish getting installed until the 10th of January so I don't know (I used to supposed to have the higher tier of speed).

I'm leaving my mistaken compression-based exuberance above, since it's a bit more honest to show the trail of blood.

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
join:2005-08-23
Woodbridge, NJ

Travelfan1 to MadMANN3

to MadMANN3
Hey MadMANN, I guess you missed my post

»Re: Lol

See, I am really not one of these Comcast bashers, teleco lovers...

MadMANN3
Premium Member

MadMANN3

Premium Member

said by Travelfan1:

Hey MadMANN, I guess you missed my post

»Re: Lol

See, I am really not one of these Comcast bashers, teleco lovers...
Haha. I always knew there was a good quality about you!

But, actually, if you look at the timestamp, my post came first.