uniqs
share rss forum feed

matrikz

join:2002-08-13
Pottsville, PA

1 edit
reply to axus

Re: 7mbps won't be any different from 3mbps

i got news for you cable guys, the thing is that cable is a shared link... meaning that both your upload and download links are on a shared line with each other, dsl is not.. which means dsl has a lower latency and better pings for such things as games and downloads... all you cable guys try this out, upload a 100mb file to a friend then to download the latest nvidia drivers and see what speeds ya get... i'll bet they're no where near what your dl caps are... we on Verizon however can upload at our caps of 90K/s and download at our current caps of 360K/s at the same time... i use to be a Comcrap customer and dropped them like a bad habbit when VZ came into town and haven't looked back since.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

said by matrikz:

i got news for you cable guys, the thing is that cable is a shared link... meaning that both your upload and download links are on a shared line with each other, dsl is not.. which means dsl has a lower latency and better pings for such things as games and downloads...
This is bull. Your DSL is just as much a shared medium. It shares bandwidth with other users on the local DSLAM, and it shares bandwidth with others in the CO.

What many people get confused by, is that DSL has its own copper line into the DSLAM, which is true, whereas cable is a ring through your neighbourhood, which is also true. That does not mean however that one is better then the other when it comes to sharing of bandwidth.

On top of that, cable has improved a lot, and is using differnt frequency layers that aren't sharing with each other until they get to the local cable office.

On top of all of that, the entire internet is shared. Unless you have a BUSINESS T-1 line, your internet is going to be shared with other even before it reaches your providers backbone, DSL and Cable alike. Only a T-1 and other (pricy) forms of Business internet have a dedicated line all the way to the backbone.

Surprise: Even FIOS is shared.

BTW my local pings (pinging the county newspaper site) is 20ms to 30ms, and the cross-country ping (pinging stealth.net in New York) is around 80ms. No big deal

No thanks. I will stick with my 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up cable.
--
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -
Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father.

Ulmo

join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to matrikz

said by matrikz:

i got news for you cable guys, the thing is that cable is a shared link... meaning that both your upload and download links are on a shared line with each other, dsl is not..
wit a zillion times the bandwit ... gotta go -- it's up to the cableco how fast, not the copper

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to matrikz

Well, I'm a DSL guy now, because what Verizon offered in my area met my needs better than Comcast. I did the speed tests... my Cable connection in VA was better than my DSL in DC, and my Cable connection in MD was equivalent to my DSL in DC.

Cable IS a shared medium, but if they keep down the number of customers using broadband per loop, its fine. Without the filtering packet spoofing crap, of course. I've been fortunate to have providers with low latency that delivered the speeds they advertised. My assessment for my area is Cox > Verizon > Comcast.

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2
reply to matrikz

Sometimes it's funny when people who don't know what they are talking about post mis-information. And sometimes it's pretty annoying.

matrikz

join:2002-08-13
Pottsville, PA

2 edits
reply to maartena

duh every ISP is shared in that sense, however cable has the download line and upload line shared... which for you n00bs out there means that when you are uploading something your download speeds will be cut in half or better... on dsl that NEVER happens as those links are not shared. not tha it is shared with your neighbor or anyone else on the same node.