dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« LOLLol »
This is a sub-selection from Where are the money complaints?
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to ShadezeRO

to ShadezeRO

Re: Where are the money complaints?

said by ShadezeRO:

People usually stick to DSL For the reliablilty, and to try and minimize the chance of being on an oversold node.
I thought that first too. Then cable jacked up its speed (I use RR and OOL) so much that even at 1/3 or 1/2 of the advertised speed, IM STILL FASTER than DSL. Upload wise, MAYBE faster. Some cable ISPs have caps and throttling, which makes the upload useless. Some ISPs have 768K or 512K as standard (roadrunner). I have 20/1 RR, so it will always be faster than DSL, even on its worst day.
ShadezeRO
join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ShadezeRO

said by patcat88:

said by ShadezeRO:

People usually stick to DSL For the reliablilty, and to try and minimize the chance of being on an oversold node.
I thought that first too. Then cable jacked up its speed (I use RR and OOL) so much that even at 1/3 or 1/2 of the advertised speed, IM STILL FASTER than DSL. Upload wise, MAYBE faster. Some cable ISPs have caps and throttling, which makes the upload useless. Some ISPs have 768K or 512K as standard (roadrunner). I have 20/1 RR, so it will always be faster than DSL, even on its worst day.
Point noted. I said my post since I comcast is the only thing offered in my area. It's a 8/512 (Maybe 768) tier for something of $59.99 a month I think.
I only pay around 36.99 for 6.0. I use a lot of torrent programs, and WoW does too, and that is a major factor on why I dont switch to cable.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 edit

Ulmo to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

said by ShadezeRO:

I've been seeing boost on my upload lately (Comcast). 5Mibibytes/s and stuff. But, I think it was just compression (it compressed to 1.5MBytes), but still that's pretty darn fast, even for just 1.5MB. Very repeatable. (I suppose I could test it.)

EDIT: I did test it. Wow, was I wrong. It always helps to test.

A 10,485,760 byte compressed file tested with lftp:

Inbound 2.56M/s 4s (=around 2,621,440 bytes/s -- not a good sample size)
Outbound 164.5K/s 62s (=169,125 bytes/s)

Tested with scp:

Outbound 167.9KB/s 61s (=171,897 bytes/s)

A 104,857,600 byte compressed file tested with lftp:

Inbound 1.21M/s 83s (=1,263,344 bytes/s)

Obviously, boost ran out for that download.

I'm supposed to have the lower speed tier right now, but the triple play doesn't finish getting installed until the 10th of January so I don't know (I used to supposed to have the higher tier of speed).

I'm leaving my mistaken compression-based exuberance above, since it's a bit more honest to show the trail of blood.
« LOLLol »
This is a sub-selection from Where are the money complaints?