how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tim618

join:2003-10-14
USA

toshiba laptop wont boot, asking for bios password

Im having trouble with my toshiba laptop. It was working fine yesterday, and today it booted and wanted a bios password or for me to swipe my finger. I swiped my finger and it worked. I shut it down and turned it back on later, now it wants a password, and doesn't give me the option to swipe my finger. Every password i try will not work and its locking me out. I have no idea how this happened, but if any of you know of anything i can try, i'll do it. I called toshiba, they wouldn't tell me the password, they said i had to go to an authorized service provider, which happens to be 46 miles away. Any ideas??

-Tim

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Shrapnel64
Premium
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA
kudos:1
reply to Tim618
I am not sure if you have tried this or not...but, on my Toshiba A70-S256 laptop, simply taking out the battery, pushing the power button with it out, and then reinstalling the battery will clear the BIOS and the password. So, you will just need to bypass the BIOS error message (about it not having the correct time), and then you just boot into Windows (you may need to reset the time).

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
I presume you mean the CMOS battery, not the "regular" battery.

Tim618

USA
reply to Tim618
i don't know how to remove the cmos battery.. Cudni, i've tried all the suggestions on that website. The one that looked promising (keydisk) requires a floppy drive, which i do not have on my laptop... Any other ideas?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
Someshire

1 edit
finding cmos batter, which looks like a watch battery, takes some effort, see similar
»www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/T···ly_1.htm

edit:also see
»www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

what happens when you run keydisk?

Cudni
--
"Mercifully, he hit him with the soft end of the pistol."
Help yourself so God can help you.
MVP, Microsoft Windows Security 2006-2007

Tim618

USA

1 edit
reply to Tim618
i can't run keydisk because the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive...that wiki page didn't say too mcuh either :-/

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
Someshire

1 edit
I understood that but i what meant is there an error message or something

edit: what about the recovery tool?

Cudni

Tim618

USA
reply to Tim618
error message with what? When i boot up it asks for the bios password, you get 3 attemps then it locks you out of the system and it shuts down, then you can turn it back on and get 3 more. What recover tool??

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Cudni
said by Cudni:

edit: what about the recovery tool?
The one that you download and run from a floppy ?

Tim618

USA
reply to Tim618
thats teh problem , i have no floppy drive...

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
Someshire
but does it have to be a floppy (hence the question about the error message), can you put it on a cd or usb device?

Cudni

Tim618

USA
reply to Tim618
ill give it a shot with a thumb drive...

Tim618

USA
reply to Tim618
didn't work.. looks like i have to take it in..yay.. ill let you guys know how it goes.

ale213

@speedy.net.pe
Hi Tim:
i got the same problem... the weird thing is I do remember my password.. but somehow it doesn´t work out.. and after three attempts.. goes off...i´ll appreciate any help. mine is toshiba Satellite M45 S169.

longstreet

join:2004-11-14
Plano, TX

1 edit
reply to Tim618
most bios's have a reset switch - clears everything . ..not rocket science to find

then again it's a laptop - good luck.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Tim618
said by Tim618:

...I called toshiba, they wouldn't tell me the password, they said i had to go to an authorized service provider...
I am too lazy to lookup the specs for your Toshiba notebook, but if it is like my HP notebook, they may need to replace the system board if clearing the CMOS memory does not clear the password.

said by HP user manual :

If the computer you are servicing has an unknown password, follow the steps below to reset the password. These steps also clear CMOS.

The following steps will not clear an unknown password if the stringent security option has been enabled in the BIOS. If stringent security is enabled, the system board must be replaced to reset an unknown password...
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.
Test your firewall.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to Tim618
have you tried Toshiba as the bios password? I've come across a post somewhere that using that sometimes works,I have a toshiba laptop and I hope like heck that never happens to me

Zorack

Fayetteville, WV
This is the site I referred to in my last post: »www.techenclave.com/forums/how-t···230.html

Ghost1133

@rr.com
reply to Tim618
This works with a Toshiba, just proved it last night with my sons girl friends computer. Forgot her bios password, that asks you right from the start up.

Resetting a Toshiba BIOS Password

Toshiba laptops can be convinced to boot without their power-on BIOS password by attaching a dongle to the parallel port which crosses a number of the pins. The pins to connect on the plug are:

1-5-10
2-11
3-17
4-12
6-16
7-13
8-14
9-15

This is a loopback connector easily made to connect to your parallel port. Only need to use it once. It clears the password completely.
If you are not sure about making one, do not go to best buy or staples, they will just stare at you and stutter. Go to a local shop.

Here is the link:

»www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml

Look about half way down the page for resetting Toshiba Bios password.
Didn't cost me anything but the hassle of making up the loopback plug from an old parallel cord.
Pluged it in one time, powered up and that was that.
Saved it from becomming an expensive door stop. I know alot of people will not understand this. so take this link to a local computer shop. Should not cost more than ten or fifteen bucks.
If they want more than that.....
They're too hungry...........
email. me
jnb@hotmail.com
Won't be overnight service.....
but I will send you one. a local computer shop could do it faster, Only works on Toshiba, and not some of the newer ones....

Zorack

Fayetteville, WV
reply to Tim618
Tim: Did you get it fixed?