Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

macrospect
All The Little Stuff
Premium
join:2005-08-25
Doylestown, PA

MI424WR- Assigning Static IP's (STB Problem)

Although I personally do not have FiOS (sure wish that I could!) a friend of mine does. Here is a quick rundown of my problem/inquiry. I had to install a repeater for the wireless Actiontec MI424WR router which Verizon provided with their FiOS service. To make it easier to manage the two computers that they have I assigned Static IP's to them and disabled the router's DHCP server. Well, low and behold at the time I did not know that the STB for their TV utilized the router. As a result just about everything stopped working on the STB (aside from the TV signal). The guide, VOD, and menu's were not able to update and infinitely sat there saying "Please wait while the guide updates".

Now, I am not sure if disabling the DCHP server had any effect on the STB (I have a good feeling that it did).

My question, is there any way to assign a static IP to a STB on Verizon FiOS TV or is it mandatory that a DHCP server is handing out IP's?

Thanks for any replies!

Dr The Funk

join:2004-03-01
Melville, NY

Here is what I would do to fix the problem.

Re-enable DHCP so the set top boxes can get a new ip. Log into the actiontec router, click advanced-> ip address distribution -> connection list.

At this point you should see any computers/ STBs that are currently assigned an ip address by DHCP. You can then click the button to the right to make it static.

Not sure what will happen when you disable dhcp again so good luck. I would try and keep DHCP on if at all possible and just give the computers themselves static IPs.

macrospect
All The Little Stuff
Premium
Doylestown, PA

Wouldn't both enabling the DHCP server and assigning Static IP's cause potential IP conflicts?

Dr The Funk

join:2004-03-01
Melville, NY

said by macrospect:

Wouldn't both enabling the DHCP server and assigning Static IP's cause potential IP conflicts?
If DHCP is working correctly it will not assign another computer the same ip no matter if it's static or not.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to macrospect

The STB's are given a static IP "reservation" based on their MAC addresses. These are usually reserved within the .100 range. The STB's are not connected constantly. You MUST leave DHCP turned on on the router. You can change the size of the DHCP scope (pool) of IP addresses, so that, for example, it will only hand out addresses in the range .20-254. This will allow for the static assignment of IP's using addresses .2-.19. Just leave the range .100-.110 alone.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to macrospect

said by macrospect:

Under ADVANCED->IP ADDRESS DISTRIBUTION->NETWORK, you can set the range of IP addresses reserved for DHCP assignment. The default is 100-199. As long as you pick a static IP address outside this range, there won't be a conflict.

While DHCP should not assign a dynamic address, if it is in use as a static IP address, it's not a good idea to rely on that. The screwy ActionTec firmware marks static IP addresses as "expired".

Pest

@verizon.net
reply to macrospect

Since the latest update I haven't been able to get static IP's to work from the actiontec. It seems to let you assign them is the usual spot but when you hit apply nothing is saved. Does anyone know of a work around?

Sycophant

@verizon.net
reply to macrospect

I have exactly the same problem. It seems to take the addresses, but does not show them in the connections list. If you try to assign them a second time it warns that they are already taken. But it does not assign the IP based on the MAC address. The only work around seems to be fixing the DHCP assigned IP with the check box at the bottom connection list.

wkearney99

join:2000-12-05
Bethesda, MD
reply to macrospect

The boxes themselves are requesting addresses. So unless something is listening on the coax connection, and giving out addresses, the boxes are going to fail.

I've got my actiontec setup to relay DHCP requests to a DHCP server running on a windows box. Seems to work well for PCs. Haven't had a set top box request an address yet. Does power-cycling the STB trigger a DHCP renewal?

macrospect
All The Little Stuff
Premium
Doylestown, PA
reply to macrospect

Hey guys, sorry to abandon this thread!

Thanks for all of your recommendations and posts. I figured that the DHCP server on the modem was critical for the STB to function (and update).

I found a workaround for the network I was working on and decided to just leave the DHCP server on. It was not causing any issues in the first place.

FWIW, thanks for notifying me about the IP range which the STB's typically use. I have a feeling that information will be very useful should I come across the same problem.

Lastly, I noticed that STB is now listed in the the modem's connections (although it is not an active connection), and the STB has been functioning fine since!

Thanks again for the replies!