Search similar:

uniqs

cs
@plus.com

cs

Anon

IPTV through router

Hi,
I have broadband in Sweden provided by Telia and they supplied a Zyxel P660H.
However for work reason we changed this to our own P661HW-D1.
The problem is that we cannot get IPTV to work when it is plugged into the P661. Telia say that we must use their router which isn't much help as there must be some configuration to do
IPTV is through Motorola VIP1500 box
Anyone know of configuration to Zyxel P660H or what I should change this to on the P661HW?
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

1 recommendation

JPedroT

Premium Member

You must turn on multicast for both the wan and lan interface and then allow multicast through the firewall.

And check the autoexec.net and remove the command ip igmp forward all.

That should get you going, unless Telia got some homecooking going also
Riuski
join:2005-12-16
Alhambra, CA

1 edit

Riuski to cs

to cs
Some P660s have been customized for ISPs to allow multiple VCs mapped to different Ethernet ports. One port may be for TV, while the another for LAN, etc. I'm not sure if those VLAN settings can be changed without ZyXEL R&D.

Edit: Looks like VPI/VCI mappings to Ethernet ports CAN be changed by the end user, but only through CLI. So the trick is to figure out what those settings are on the P660H, and try to duplicate them (if possible) on the P661HW.
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

I do believe that sys tr port should give the info if there is port to pvc stuff being used.
Bwuutje
join:2005-01-10

Bwuutje to Riuski

to Riuski
It (multiple VC's) can be changed (added) by the end-user and thru the GUI.

Enabling triple play and mapping ethernet ports to specific VC's can also be done by the end-user but only thru the CLI.

Bwuutje.

CS
@plus.com

CS to cs

Anon

to cs
Thanks for all the suggestions and I almost follow what I have to do

Is there a guide to the CLI?

So through the CLI I need to enable triple play and setup a VLAN on one of the ports; what commands would I use to firstly get the settings from the P660H and then secondly put them into the P661?
Bwuutje
join:2005-01-10

Bwuutje

In every firmware file (.zip-file) is a PDF-document called "Release Notes" included. Read i for a change. And you will find all CLI commands at the end

Bwuutje.
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT to CS

Premium Member

to CS
First thing you should do is check the P660 and see if it is setup to use multiple VC.

And does iptv only work on specific switch ports or can you connect your stb to any port?

If both of the above is no, then turn on multicast for lan and wan ports and allow it through the firewall or even just disable the firewall for a quick test.
apito
join:2008-01-14

apito to cs

to cs
The ISP has advised that the IPTV only works in port 2 of the P660.
I will log on and try to figure out how to check the settings for this port then update

C
apito

apito to cs

to cs
I am not able to get into the P660H. It seems that it is not DHCP and was possible configured to pass internet connection straight from DSL line to port 1 where there was a P320W to provide wireless

Since it is not DHCP then I cannot pick up any IP address from the P660H to begin to get into it

Using the reset button to reset to factory defaults does not change anything.

So I am now stuck for retrieving settings to use to get the TV to work. If I have the TV plugged into port 4 on my P661HW what settings / commands would you recommend to try. Above you mentioned multicasting, multiple VCs or tripleplay. What should I start with on port 4 and how
Thanks
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

We need to know the vpi/vci settings on the P660H if not there are to many combinations to just try.

Try to connect a pc to ports 2-3 and see if it gets an ip then?
If not then zyxel units come with a default ip of 192.168.1.1, but ofcourse your isp can change this.
apito

apito to cs

to cs
In the end although not sure if it was a good idea I have to reset the router to factory defaults
I am hoping this has left the any configuration the ISP may have carried out before despatch

It a menu driven CLI and not commands I was expecting
Menu 11 - Remote Node Setup contains 4 entries which seem to relate to the ports where 1 is Internet, 2 is IPTV 3 is VoIP and 4 is Unspecified
All of them have the same configuration as the WAN which is below. This may be because I reset it to factory settings
Mode: Bridge
Encapsulation: RFC 1483
VPI: 8
VCI: 35

My P661 was setup with the same VPI and VCI numbers but in Routing mode with Ethernet (ENET ENCAP) as the encapsulation

Would this difference in modes stop the IPTV working or do I need to look for something else?
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

The P661 setup does not really matter since it does not work ;D

Are 110% sure about the vpi/vci setting for each of those remote nodes, I am quite confident that ZyNOS does not let you have the same vpi/vci values on multiple pvcs. Exception is if a remote node has been set as inactive.

When you check it, do you do it in the correct submenu for the remote node, you should have an option per remote node that says ATM Options or something similar, set that to yes and see what shows up on the vpi/vci settings then.
apito

apito to cs

to cs
I'm starting to get confused now and will have to get a better understanding of this.
Is it possible on the P661HW-D1 to set a port to work in Bridge mode with RFC 1483 and the other ports to work as ENET ENCAP routing?

If so how would I do this? I was thinking this may allow the TV to work since according to Telia (ISP) the router must function as a modem for the IPTV to work

SmurfLurf
join:2007-12-18
Whittier, CA

SmurfLurf to cs

to cs
The unit cannot operate as a bridge and router, it's either one or the other when it comes to the encapsulation method - ENET ENCAP or RFC 1483. Plus there's only 'WAN' connection...

You can always try setting a DMZ or a default server rule to pass all ports/traffic to a single machine, but this of course can only be done with router mode...
apito

1 edit

apito to cs

to cs
So how would I set the device plugged into port 4 to a DMZ so that it was not blocked by any firewall rules?
If done in the CLI could you give an example, thanks

However I am not sure this would work but I'll give it a try

In the CLI there are the commands associated with "wan node index n" where n is from 1 - 8
What is this wan profile, can only one be active at once?

I think I have found out that IPTV requires the VPI/VCI numbers of 0,35 (whereas internet uses 8,35)
Can I then setup both pointing to different devices?

Thanks for the help
apito

4 edits

apito to cs

to cs
Hi,
Got things a bit more clear in my mind now and now going back to the orginal idea of PVC mapped to ethernet ports ;)
So I carried out the following commands

> sys tripleplay portbase enable 
> sys tripleplay portbase groupadd 1 LAN 1 
> sys tripleplay portbase groupadd 1 LAN 2 
> sys tripleplay portbase groupadd 1 LAN 3 
> sys tripleplay portbase groupadd 2 LAN 4 
> sys tripleplay portbase groupadd 1 PVC 1 
> sys tripleplay portbase groupadd 2 PVC 4 
> sys tripleplay portbase save

where I have the following PVCs
wan node 1 set to ENET ENCAP and vpi/vci as 8/35
wan node 4 set to RFC 1483 vpi/vci 0/35

The part I am now not sure on is should I set "sys bridge on" and "sys routeip off"
Initially I set "sys bridge on", saw that this gave both routing and bridging on but saved the changes and rebooted. When it came back it had reverted to routing on but bridging off
So should "sys bridge on" and "sys routeip off"?