uniqs
share rss forum feed

jniamehr
Premium
join:2003-10-09
Roslyn, NY
reply to DaneJasper

Re: DSL users now get free website hosting

How about exchange server? is that included?

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

4 edits

said by jniamehr:

R U serious?

You just got FREE webhosting and you want email too? But not just email but Exchange?

Have you ever heard the old saying about not looking a gift horse in the mouth? Would you like an explanation?

Can we have 250GB of redundant storage too?

Just kidding around but... seriously... I think that the FREE web hosting was plenty generous to begin with and Exchange mail is an expensive operation... far too expensive to ALSO give away for free. I could maybe see some sort of free web mail or even some sort of POP3 but Exchange seems unlikely.

--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
reply to jniamehr

said by jniamehr:

We are considering launching an Exchange service for business users at some point in the future. Likely pricing will range from $10 to $15 per mailbox user per month. Features would include all standard Exchange capabilities such as shared calendar, document sharing, email, etc.

It's not a real high priority right now however, and it may be some time before we get around to this.

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

Right - and there are a lot of providers out there already - mail2web does a decent job, and even has a free product (live.mail2web.com) so this is a pretty crowded area.

The free hosting is nice. Can we BYOD (bring your own domain?)
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

I think he said new accounts and new domain names only.

said by »Re: DSL users now get free website hosting :

the new personal hosting special offer provides you with a free new domain name and hosting of that new domain name. It can't be a registration transfer or an existing domain, that's one catch.

--
STFU & RTFM | Iraq Coalition Deaths | bobrk

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

Yeah, but he said that DAYS ago... long flushed out of the cache.

Sorry, carry on

burrowowl
Sonic.Net

join:2003-01-22
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to bobrk

said by bobrk:

I think he said new accounts and new domain names only.
Existing accounts, new domains. We don't want to exclude our existing customer base on this. The "new domains only" part is a limitation of the tool at the moment, which we intend to remove (no ETA on that just yet).

--
John Fitzgerald
Sonic.net Technical Support

westpost

join:2002-05-09
Menlo Park, CA

said by burrowowl:

Existing accounts, new domains. We don't want to exclude our existing customer base on this. The "new domains only" part is a limitation of the tool at the moment, which we intend to remove (no ETA on that just yet).

--
John Fitzgerald
Sonic.net Technical Support
Do you happen to know whether the ETA is more like days or weeks or months? I ask because my domains with a different registrar are up for renewal, and it would be great to just transfer them to Sonic.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

Months, if ever. The priority list is pretty huge here, and this isn't as critical as other items. The theory being that "everyone can use one more domain/website" for free.

We would be happy to be the registrar for your domains, the upside would be that you'd have a single point of contact for everything. Pricing is $9.95 per year, and you can manage this transfer in our member tools, linked on the left side of the home page.

-Dane

westpost

join:2002-05-09
Menlo Park, CA

said by DaneJasper:

We would be happy to be the registrar for your domains, the upside would be that you'd have a single point of contact for everything. Pricing is $9.95 per year, and you can manage this transfer in our member tools, linked on the left side of the home page.

-Dane
Can I transfer one or more domains to Sonic, and take advantage of the free hosting package using one of those transferred domains, without registering a new domain? Or do I have to register a new one for the free hosting to work? (I would like to take advantage of the free hosting without having another domain name to renew every year.)

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

No, I'm sorry, this is only offered one way at this point - a newly registered domain.

If in future a site idea or domain name you'd like comes to you, you'd be able to use this. Note that we'll be offering the free hosting forever, but the free first year of domain registration is a special offer which may be withdrawn at some point.

-Dane