uniqs
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

VOIP issues at G711 setting

Just wondering if I'm alone.

Since Bell's upgrade over the weekend (related or not) I've noticed call quality go way down on my voip lines from both acanac and primus that are set at G711.

I've also noticed ping times jump up on the router I'm on .102 as well speedtests are very inconstant, ranging from 2200 to 4200 x 200 to 668.

I don't think it's an DSLAM issue as the DSLAM card has been replaced, and it was only due to ping times jumping higher than they are now.

This time, I don't think it's just me.... or is it?

koreyb

koreyb

Odd..

What a difference an hour makes..

Ping times have dropped to normal (9 to 10ms, with the odd spike to 56ms... which I can deal with)

VOIP is much better quality wise, but still not 100%.. Maybe outside Teksavvy network issues now?

If you use voip like vonage/primus or acanac... it would be interesting to see if your on the G711 codec (high quality) if you are finding quality an issue as of late?
daboom
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

daboom

Premium Member

Hey Kbray,

I haven't noticed myself yet but my Sitter has complained about recent echoing and (cutout)static on the lines esp to the calling party. We use primus TBB and quite frankly in the three months I've had the service this is the first I heard of it. Mind you I have been doing some heavy downloading during those times which usually doesn't effect things quality wise. Hopefully it was just minor latency issues as you said.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

All issues I've experienced have been for the caller on the other end, not coming back to me..

Daboom, is there anyway you can do some tests and get back to me. IF it's a problem with the new routers or teksavvy/bell equipment at the backbone level, They will need to see that it's more than just me.

This may be directed to the Teksavvy guys... IS there a possibility that the new routers are having issues with voip leaving Teksavvy?

I have been hit by a few different issues with mine, where my dslam was causing packet loss... Which has been corrected, but during PEEK times (evenings & weekends), I have some callers say they can hear cutout/static on their end once and while.. even with very little traffic on my end. G729 always fixes it, but G711 setting is the only one that works with my Fax

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Your wildly varying speeds would seem to be related to the issue. Could you post your line stats? If your line is marginal, and you're on fastpath, it might be worth sacrificing some latency for interleaved mode. While an extra 30-40ms might be a bit annoying for VoIP, eliminating packetloss might be much more important.
daboom
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

daboom

Premium Member

There's no real way for me to test as of Saturday I changed my routers LAN network card to a newer unit and things seem to be snappier and faster esp in the torrent side of things. I know of a few issues that's been going on recently that are posted in the forums wonder if they were related to the problems your having? If you want I can do some tracerts to primus TBB servers etc and post the results or monitor a call using the web gui.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

3 edits

koreyb to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I will have to check the stats again when I get home.

There's no longer packet loss since bell replaced the line card.... Before that packet loss was crazy.. and Ping Times fell off the charts, reaching 200ms in spikes!

Now it's never anymore than 9 to 10ms with 56ms spikes... No big deal.. Line stats all check out... It's been checked by Bell, Teksavvy and myself (on my end)

The major issue has been repaired, I think... BUT now during peek times (nights and weekends) I noticed cuts/static on both my acanac and primus voip lines when set at g711. Ping times and speedtests all seem to check out during these times as well.

Before the replacement of the dslam, I couldn't even carry a conversation... now It's just once and a while... drives most people crazy rather than they can't hear you.

Daboom, Tonight try giving your cell a call or even someone else.. If you hear static on the cell or the other person does, and your not doing much downloading.. that is the answer I'm lookin for.

You won't have to wait long.. 2 min tops before you should hear a little noise.

The wild speed flux just appeared after bell's work over the weekend.

I will try to get on a different router but the voip issue is on going, with both providers, where prior to November has been Top Notch on both.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to koreyb

MVM

to koreyb
g.711 consumes 64kbit of bandwidth (it's uncompressed), while g.729 consumes 8kbit of bandwidth (it uses compression). This may be why g.729 is performing better when you're having speed issues.

It should be noted that latency spikes will probably be treated as packetloss by a VoIP system, as such systems require that packets arrive relatively in sequence, with some leeway. If you send a packet every 10ms (pulling this number out of my ass), and one packet is delayed by 60ms, then it will arrive far later than a bunch of other packets. When it arrives, the system will have already moved further on, and will probably just ignore it. VoIP systems tend to make latency the holy grail, and do everything possible to reduce latency (including using very short (or no) buffers).

If there are intermittent errors on your line, this would cause the kind of problems that you're describing. Most codec have a loss-concealment mechanism where they try to fill in the blanks when they lose packets. Usually they do it by extrapolating the audio to cover the gap. This might be the static you describe.

So, in conclusion, VoIP relies on consistent (not necessarily low) latencies to perform well, and outliers are going to cause audio glitches.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

koreyb

The true test will be when I test the DSL login I just got from Velcom. If it works perfectly on their network, there's going to be no doubt that there's something up.

I've had this dry dsl line since feb of 2007, and it's worked PERFECT with my voip up until November.. which at the same time falls when the new routers and bell upgrades where being installed at Teksavvy.

I just want it to be fixed as I've been spending FAR more time than most would at this point.. Going back to bell/rogers is not an option for phone service.
koreyb

koreyb

So it appears to be something to do with the network/routers at Teksavvy.. I have just tested both ACANAC and PRIMUS voip lines with Velcom DSL LOGIN and surprise! It works perfectly! Which is shocking on it's own based on the teleglobe backbone they use and routing.

I will Open a thread on TeksavvyDirect.

Most wouldn't know if their voip isn't working correctly cause it only effects audio on the other end of the call. (LEAVING YOUR HOME)

The only reason I do, cause this issue was combined with a major DSLAM issue that made the phone lines unusable!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

You may want to try running the DSL reports line monitor, that will track latency and packetloss over an extended period of time, helping to identify if your line (with TSI) is experiencing packetloss.