1 edit

Proxy setup through Router?

Is there any router/switch/hub that would allow me
change connection like this:

PC=>Router=>CableModem=>WEB

into:

PC=>Router=>("Proxified" address)=>CableModem=>WEB

Is there way to send all network traffic through
external proxy service using just router settings?

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
None that I've seen. You would need to run proxy software on the PC or use a dedicated PC as a proxy server.
--
Google is your Friend

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Moved from Hardware to Networking

Gres7

join:2001-03-05
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Dogg
I could, theoretically, pop doubleNIC in some old PC and use
it as switch.

I even remember there was some freeware (I think it was Linux
based) that would re-format PC and setup whole PC as
firewall/router. Unfortunately I do not remember name of it.

But the biggest question is will I be able to sent traffic
through any third party proxy services (eg. from www.publicproxyservers.com).

fox7

join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA
reply to Gres7
Gres7:
Looking at the weblink you gave, you would set that up as follows:
PC=>LAN Router=>Cable Modem=> Proxy Server (IP Address)=>Website or location you wish to access.

You steer your traffic through this "external" 'Proxy Server' to for example = be anonymous.

Feel free to comment or question.

fox7

Gres7

join:2001-03-05
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, usage of "external" 'proxy server' is what I am looking for.
But thing is - I am not sure what ports is going to be
used for communication. So I am trying to sort of steer all of
traffic from some specific client on network through external proxy.

fox7

join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA
You say:>>>From some specific client It will have it's own ports associated with it as a client. Don't need to worry about that. OK??

Comments??

fox7

isaserveruser

@mindspring.com
reply to Gres7
The scenario you describe sounds like you need ISA Server from microsoft. Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server is a firewall & proxy server installed on either Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003. When you install the server with ONE NIC only, it is a proxy server only (no firewall capability). With TWO NICs installed, it becomes a full bone firewall with proxy & SNAT capability.

shdesigns