spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

VirtualSlew

join:2008-01-18
Ambler, PA

New IMG Reminders do not change channel.

I live in the Philly area and got the upgrade a couple of days ago. I do not have a FIOS DVR, I use my own standalone Philips DVRs because they have DVD recorders built in and I can edit and burn from the DVR to a DVD. It's important for me to have the basic functionality of scheduling a channel change. My old Directv recevier was great in that I could schedule it to turn on to a particular channel at a particular time on a one time, daily or weekly basis. I lost that functionality with the FIOS STB, but setting a Reminder would still change the channel on a one time basis, as long as the STB was powered on. Now with the upgrade, the Reminder pops up, giving you the option to change channels. If you're not there to accept the Reminder, the channel does not change. This of course is of no use if you're not at home. I can use a glink cable from the DVR, but I would prefer not to. I sent Verizon an email stating that I'm unhappy with the reduced functionality, but I haven't heard from them yet. I suppose it's their attempt to get people to pay for their DVR service. I choose not to.

ENFiOS

join:2007-11-09
MontCo PA

1 edit

I kinda agree with the way it works NOW. It's a reminder. If you have the option of using a "glink" cable to do the same thing you should use it. Maybe others didn't think the reminder should change the channel and this was a FIX for the IMG . .just MY opinion. . .everyone has one. .

VirtualSlew

Ambler, PA
reply to VirtualSlew

I don't mind the reminder not changing the channel as long as they give you some other timer or scheduler to use. 20 years ago cable boxes had the ability to schedule a channel change. It just seems like a very basic function. I don't understand why it wouldn't be there. It's annoying. What if I'm not very technical and I'm just using a VCR to record. How am supposed to record shows on different channels when I'm traveling? I don't think I should be forced to use and have to pay for their DVR service.

ENFiOS

MontCo PA

Very true, but - what's the problem w/ the "glink cable"? Is that a remote transmitter?

VirtualSlew

Ambler, PA

The glink works, but it causes problems with the remote. When the glink cable is in place, there is sometimes a second or 2 delay when changing channels. Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but I just think a function that exists on every other cable/satellite STB I've ever uses should be available on the FIOS STB.

crankerchick
Premium
join:2007-11-26
Ellicott City, MD

1 edit
reply to VirtualSlew

said by VirtualSlew:

My old Directv recevier was great in that I could schedule it to turn on to a particular channel at a particular time on a one time, daily or weekly basis. I lost that functionality with the FIOS STB, but setting a Reminder would still change the channel on a one time basis, as long as the STB was powered on. Now with the upgrade, the Reminder pops up, giving you the option to change channels. If you're not there to accept the Reminder, the channel does not change.
I tend to agree with you. For one, there are still people who use VCRs believe it or not. My mom is one, so no FIOS for her because it means she has to go back to remembering to leave the stb on the right channel to get her soaps everyday, which is a dealbreaker. I can't quite convince her to get a DVR yet.

Also, aside from the recording thing, I can still see other uses for having the reminder flip the channel. One being I leave the room for whatever reason. If the channel would flip, then the box would be buffering that channel and I could rewind to see the few minutes I might have missed while I was in the bathroom. Or perhaps I'm cooking in the kitchen (I watch tv from the kitchen), it would be nice if it would flip for me so I don't have to leave what I'm doing.

I think a reasonable, easy to implement feature would simply be to keep the current functionality as it is--to present the menu. But, if there is no menu selection made by the time the show is supposed to start, then the STB should change to the channel. And for crying out loud, give me reminders on my DVR box, just because I CAN record something doesn't mean I always WANT to, maybe I just want to be reminded of the show without actually recording it!

Simple, and compromising to everyone

ENFiOS

MontCo PA

The OP doesn't have a DVR. . .so there's no buffering. How 'bout having this be a optional feature in settings - whether or not to change the channel w/ reminder?? (I know - there's no reminder w/ DVR yet)

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 edit

That's a pretty good suggestion, have a setting to make the reminder change the channel or put up a reminder. I'll second that.

crankerchick
Premium
Ellicott City, MD
reply to VirtualSlew

That is in effect the same thing I suggested. The box would just give the reminder. As long as you dismiss it, it wouldn't change the channel for you.

ENFiOS

MontCo PA

Not the same as a setting

crankerchick
Premium
Ellicott City, MD
reply to VirtualSlew

so you are saying that you would want just a pop up reminder, with no menu to click? so the setting would be to either just have the pop up or have it flip channels?

don't the boxes currently have the menu pop up?

ENFiOS

MontCo PA

3 edits

If I was the one writing the requirement, I'd have the option in the Settings Menu so you could choose to either:

a) Have the reminder pop up a window with the choice to change or ignore, or

b) Have the reminder change the channel for you

c) Leave reminder on the screen for xx seconds then close it automatically

You set it to your preference and it will perform your choice for ALL REMINDERs

crankerchick
Premium
Ellicott City, MD

1 edit
reply to VirtualSlew

Gotcha.

I would prefer:
Have the reminder window pop up with the options to change or ignore.

The menu setting would then be:
a.) have the channel change for you if no response on the pop up menu
b.) never have the channel change for you.

I remember on the comcast scientific atlanta box that the reminder pop up would stay on the screen indefinitely, such that if i left the room for 30 mins and came back, the window was still on the screen, waiting for my response. I would definitely not want this on my plasma tv, so having a way to automatically dismiss the reminder (and change the channel or not) would be a requirement for me.

ENFiOS

MontCo PA

OK - that would be:

c.) Leave reminder on the screen for xx seconds then close it automatically

crankerchick
Premium
Ellicott City, MD

1 edit
reply to VirtualSlew

LOL, according to your menu options, if a person selected c, then it would never change the channel for them

In your example, C would need to be another menu setting in order for folks to have the choice of having the STB change channels or not.

But we've hijacked the OPs thread over useless jargon because VZ will never listen to us and implement anything halfway useful

VirtualSlew

Ambler, PA
reply to VirtualSlew

Before the upgrade, the reminder would popup on the screen 2 minutes prior to starting time of the program. You then had the option to push OK to "Watch" which changed the channel immediately. If you did not respond, the channel automatically changed at the Reminder time. This worked fine for me.

ENFiOS

MontCo PA
reply to crankerchick

said by crankerchick:

LOL, according to your menu options, if a person selected c, then it would never change the channel for them

Isn't my C the same as your b.)?

crankerchick
Premium
Ellicott City, MD

4 edits
reply to VirtualSlew

In my version, the dismiss after xx minutes is always. Either you pick a) and get a menu to respond to and if you don't respond, after xx minutes it goes away and doesn't change channels, or you select b) and if you don't respond to the menu by the time the show time arrives, the menu goes away but the channel changes.

In your example, if a person picks a) and then leaves the room, the menu is going to sit on the screen until they return (because you can't pick both a and c).

quote:
Before the upgrade, the reminder would popup on the screen 2 minutes prior to starting time of the program. You then had the option to push OK to "Watch" which changed the channel immediately. If you did not respond, the channel automatically changed at the Reminder time. This worked fine for me.
I want this, with the option to have it automatically change the channel or not, but either way, the menu popup to go away after the time has passed.

More then that, i just want reminders on my dvr box, lol.

Again, im' not sure how the reminders work on the SD boxes (i've never used them actually), but on comcast, you got the notification like 2 minutes before teh show start and also at the time the show started. If it doesn't work this way now on VZ, I would also like to see that. I'm not really interested in changing to the channel 2 minutes before the show start, especially if the show I'm watching isn't over yet, but I still want to be reminded again when the new show actually starts.

VirtualSlew

Ambler, PA

1 edit

said by crankerchick:

Again, im' not sure how the reminders work on the SD boxes (i've never used them actually), but on comcast, you got the notification like 2 minutes before teh show start and also at the time the show started. If it doesn't work this way now on VZ, I would also like to see that. I'm not really interested in changing to the channel 2 minutes before the show start, especially if the show I'm watching isn't over yet, but I still want to be reminded again when the new show actually starts.
I don't have HD or FIOS DVRs. I have SD boxes. I just want some way to change the channel when I'm not there. It's a very basic function. It's idiocy that the upgrade removed this basic function. I don't care what comes up on the screen or how long it's there for, I just want the ability to change the bloody channel when I'm not there. As I said previously, the way it worked before the upgrade was fine. It would be nice to have timers like the Directv receivers, but I can live with the basic functionality of a Reminder changing the channel for me.

ENFiOS

MontCo PA

Please - let us make a mountain out of your molehill!

crankerchick
Premium
Ellicott City, MD

said by ENFiOS:

Please - let us make a mountain out of your molehill!
Exactly!

We understand your concern. We just hijacked your thread to go on and on about extended features beyond your request because, lets face it, now that the IMG is rolled out everywhere, what else do we have to talk about besides on screen caller id?!

VirtualSlew

Ambler, PA

I understand. I appreciate your ideas. Hopefully Vz will take some of these discussions into account. It would be nice to have some flexibility built in.

crankerchick
Premium
Ellicott City, MD

It has been rumored that VZ does have folks monitoring this forum.

ParallaxG

@verizon.net
reply to VirtualSlew

I like to second the suggestions made by the OP. I'm in the same boat. This new reminder not changing the channel IMHO makes this function virtually useless.

I work in software development, and one of our biggest commandments is that new functions should cause no day-one impacts to the system’s existing behavior. If that is unavoidable, an option setting must be provided to give the new behavior an on/off switch. The reminder function should still provide the ability to automatically change the channel.
Maybe this is Verizon’s master plan to force people to rent their DVRs, but for my usage there’s no way to justify an extra $200/year.

Other issues I have with the upgrade
-Lag time is way too excessive. 3-5 seconds from button push to guide?
-Why do I need to enter 4 digits to change channels without a delay when I have no channels above 3 digits? Plus, when I type in 4 full digits (like 0054), the 'Last' function doesn't work.
-I can't exclude channels from the guide except by using favorites, and when in favorites mode I can't type in a channel # to jump to that spot in the guide.
-Why does the info box pop up on the screen when a new program starts? I know what I'm watching, that's why I'm there. This should also be a toggle option.
-Why does the STB display the channel for 45 seconds after a change? 3-5 seconds is more than enough. I'd rather see the clock.
-And why the STB clock is perpetually a minute behind the actual time in the guide I'll never know...

Did they code this themselves, or buy it from somewhere? It's like they found a new software package that had one new feature they wanted, and didn't care that other changes negatively affected the customers usage of the system.

lrmayer

join:2000-02-19
Arlington, VA

Thank you for this thread! I am new to Fios (this week) and this "feature" is one I was hoping to use (change of channel on STB with a reminder) I do have a DVR, but at times, for things I want to keep permanently, prefer to go direct to VCR or DVD-R.

I hope Verizon is "listening" -- please make a change so we do not loose functionality relative to that previously -- or even that of an analog capability.

Point of fact, I had Comcast analog (no STB) and got better DVD recorded quality for HD channels (in the clear) than copying from the DVR to the DVD. Rest, without question is far superior! Of course, for Fios, there are no HD channels, except through the STB. Consequently, trying to figure out how to avoid loss of capability (although set up "rabbit ears" in a window this morning to get OTA HD local channels - which works well -- and this might help to mitigate the problem)!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

said by lrmayer:

Point of fact, I had Comcast analog (no STB) and got better DVD recorded quality for HD channels (in the clear) than copying from the DVR to the DVD. Rest, without question is far superior! Of course, for Fios, there are no HD channels, except through the STB. Consequently, trying to figure out how to avoid loss of capability (although set up "rabbit ears" in a window this morning to get OTA HD local channels - which works well -- and this might help to mitigate the problem)!
Relative to the portion of your post that I emphasized above, if you have a DVD Recorder with QAM tuner (it sounds like you do) you can get the same Clear QAM local channels (SD and HD) as you did with Comcast using FiOS.

lrmayer

Arlington, VA

Do have QAM -- but local HD channels on Fios here are in "800" series and AFAIK also encrypted with all channels above 49. Digital QAM on DVD recorder picks up "no" digital channels.

In contrast, Comcast did not encrypt local HD channels. By the way, neither carry Baltimore channels, but OTA, the Digital Baltimore channels come in fine, while the analog are close to unwatchable.

If you have a way for me to wire the DVD recorder and get HD locals (with Fios) without the STB, let me know -- I certainly have not figured a way to do that leaving the STB out of the loop.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

Cable companies are *required* to carry local HD channels in the clear if they carry them at all. In other words, they don't have to carry the HD channels but must not encrypt them if they do. No areas, to my knowledge, see FiOS encrypting the local HD channels or the digital local SD counterparts.

I have not read about anyone in your area being unable to pick up the local HD channels in the clear using QAM equipped TVs here and, as witnessed in the "Philly VHO Changes" thread, if it wasn't working people would post on it.

If your QAM tuner was working correctly - or if you were using it correctly - you'd be picking up the digital version of your SD locals and your HD locals as well music choice and Urge music channels.

I don't know how to tell you to use your equipment because I don't know your equipment. But it's pretty clear that FiOS isn't encrypting so something is going wrong user-error wise.

EMC26

join:2007-08-21
Tampa, FL
reply to lrmayer

You should be able to run your cable feed directly into your dvr/tv or whatever has the QAM tuner - don't run it thru the STB first - may have to use a splitter upstream of the STB.

Then run a channel "scan" or whatever your device calls it & it should pick up all the clear channels coming in over the cable - that will include your local HD channels. Your results will show what's available for you to view without the box. The channel "numbers" will be in a different format than you may be used to - i.e. you might have ch 10 which may be the local CBS affiliate & channel 10-1 which may be the local CBS HD broadcast for example.

lrmayer

Arlington, VA

Thanks EMC2 and Knarf829!

Hooked back up DVD-R before STB and did a rescan on a second DVD recorder (with QAM). This time, as you stated, picked up everything -- all you stated and, even the encrypted channels (but of course just black picture on those)

With these recorders a scan sometimes neglects to pick up ANY digital channels -- even though it looks like it is "going through the motions". I have found a solution to this (had the same problem at times with Comcrap) by rebooting the DVD recorder and scanning again. When I first did the scan, the other machine must have encountered that problem -- but I thought that was just the way Fios worked.

Folks, you have not only solved my problem, but now my capability is significantly greater than Comcrap's ever was. Moreover, we will see, might not even need the Verizon DVR given the capability without it (although the multi-room aspect is nice -- avoiding the "sneaker-net" that I long ago remedied on my Computer network with NAS capability).

Thanks again!