spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DiogenesUK
join:2003-05-19
UK

2 edits

DiogenesUK

[Resolved]DIR-655 Restrict gaming bandwidth?

Hi Folks,

I've had the above router for a few months now,along with a successfully updated 1.11EU firmware.

I'm using it hardwired on XP sp2,and have both my kids connecting wirelessly,we use wpa2 AES if I remember correctly,with fairly strong encryption & broadcast range set to medium or low,so my issue isn't with any unauthorised access atm.

I need to know if it's possible to restrict(rather than stop completely)bandwidth to my lad's laptop(vista home 32bit),as he's an obsessive online gamer,and quite frankly myself & my daughter are sick & tired of waiting anything up to 30 seconds for some webpages to load when he's online.

This 'problem' never occurs when he's not using the lappy,as we have a (supposed)20Mb cable broadband connection,which is pretty stable 99.9% of the time.

Sooooo,my basic question is this:

Am I able to somewhow reduce/restrict his gaming bandwidth via the router configuration,and/or a software such as NetLimiter,or do I simply pull the plug on him completely,which I'll happily do if absolutely necessary.....I pay all the bills incidentally,as do most parents with similar issues,but once he can pay his own way he can have his own BB account & use as much b/w as he likes.

slpip3
join:2007-02-20
Springfield, VA

slpip3

Re: DIR-655 Restrict gaming bandwidth?

Disable the QOS Engine and WISH functions.
DiogenesUK
UK

DiogenesUK

Thanks for the confirmation slpip,I was wondering if they'd produce the required effect.

It's only really necessary from sunday evening to thursday evening,as I'd quite like him to do some homework occasionally.

Your quick reply is very much appreciated.

slpip3
join:2007-02-20
Springfield, VA

slpip3

Disable the QOS Engine and the WISH function would disable the priority of the game bandwidth.
DiogenesUK
UK

DiogenesUK

I followed your advice & it now appears to be sorted.

Thank you slpip