Search similar:

uniqs

winchester73
join:2003-08-08
Chapel Hill, NC

2 recommendations

winchester73

Ad-Aware ... AskToolbar ?

Looking at the "label" here: http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/01/w...-with-your.html

Is the AskToolbar coming?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Cracks me up ....your 'Label' is in the mail..don't cash it until the end of the month.

»securitygarden.blogspot. ··· ide.html

Corrine
Premium Member
join:2004-08-27

Corrine to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73
Sadly, Winchester73's inquiry at the LS forums directed @urizen has been deleted. My subscription is still there

Current Subscriptions
  Topic Replies Views Last Post 
Post your support issues here
No New Posts @ urizen  ( New Window )
Is the AskToolbar coming?
Subscribed on Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Type: Immediate Email Notification
0 18 Yesterday, 07:14 PM
By: winchester73

but it only took 18 views for the topic to show up missing from http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=15455

At one time I defended Lavasoft. I believed what Ann-Christine and Nic told us. It is quite obvious that the DSLR community was right all along. To each of you, I extend an apology from the time "WhenU" were right.

With regard to the Ask Toolbar, isn't it sweet that so many formerly respected security vendors have made the choice of money over security. See »secunia.com/advisories/26960/
quote:
Ask Toolbar ToolbarSettings ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Advisory Available in Danish Advisory Available in German

Secunia Advisory: SA26960
Release Date: 2007-09-25
Last Update: 2007-09-28

Critical:
Highly critical
Impact: System access
Where: From remote
Solution Status: Unpatched

Software: Ask Toolbar 4.x

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73
Well it all reminds me..

January 2008
18-19 Poor days for planting, seeds tend to rot in ground.

»www.farmersalmanac.com/h ··· ardening

"There arises from a bad and unapt formation of words a wonderful obstruction to the mind." - Francis Bacon

But glad some are now really asking..rather than spreading fertilizer.

winchester73
Chapel Hill, NC

winchester73

Yeah, I saw my thread over there had been deleted. I'm not sure why really ... it was a simple request to urizen for some clarification. There was nothing inflammatory or negative.

I had hoped that there would be a message in my box explaining "why" it was removed or "who" had done so. I guess no one thought it would be a courteous thing to do. When I was a moderator on the old LS forum, I always sent a message to each and every person whose post I tampered with, in any way, even if I was just breaking a link to keep someone from clicking on it.

Oh well, times change.

Not that anyone cares, but count me in the disappointed camp should LS start packaging the AskToolbar with their download.
winchester73

winchester73

Corrine ... spot on: »securitygarden.blogspot. ··· iry.html

Corrine
Premium Member
join:2004-08-27

1 recommendation

Corrine

Premium Member

It seems Lavasoft office staff doesn't work weekends, although someone from Lavasoft certainly spent enough time at my rather obscure blog both yesterday and today:

»securitygarden.blogspot. ··· iry.html

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

Woody79_00 to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73
this is sadly why i walked away from Lavasoft adware a few years ago....

Seems like everyone wants to install a toolbar nowadays

Symantec always trys to push their yahoo toolbar on you
ccleaner trys to push one as well
Adobe is always trying to get you to install google toolbar

The only Toolbar i use is Windows Live Toolbar Straight From Microsoft...it is the only toolbar worth a darn

But i don't see any sites or software activly pushing it though...and my IE has never crashed or anything, plus Microsoft Updates the Windows Live Services though Microsoft Update(including the toolbar)

But the rest of these toolbar just suck...Microsoft is the only one who has gotten the toolbar right with Windows Live Toolbar

the Ask toolbar is just a worthless piece of dung

fatdcuk
Premium Member
join:2005-02-20
England

fatdcuk to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73
»sunbeltblog.blogspot.com ··· -to.html

No matter how it is dressed up,it plainly sucks

Thug21
Just Chillin'
Premium Member
join:2005-08-21

4 edits

1 recommendation

Thug21

Premium Member

I will NOT use any "security" software that comes with a toolbar.

Anti Adware/Spyware software is often used to remove such things - it shouldn't add them!

Maybe these companies need tons and tons of angry emails!

Edit - gotta love all the political double talk in that statement by Lavasoft . What nonsense.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

hayc59 to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73
well, well another one bites the dust!!
goodbye Ad-Aware

winchester73
Chapel Hill, NC

winchester73

Ben Edelman: »www.haloscan.com/comment ··· /#406495

I can certainly understand why a user might want a browser toolbar, and I have no problems with something that isn't a pre-checked option ... but I fail to see why an anti-spyware application needs a toolbar.

Thug21
Just Chillin'
Premium Member
join:2005-08-21

4 edits

Thug21

Premium Member

The Bar will supposedly be "opt in" only. However, any A/S shipped with a toolbar - especially one with a shady background - is just too much to stomach for me.

They claim the reason for possibly including ASK is to "help change the world" but I tend to think that money is the real factor here.

bcastner
MVM
join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD

bcastner to Corrine

MVM

to Corrine
I'm with you 100% on this issue.
I doubt the complaints will stop the practice, but at least it is an "opt-in" choice in Adaware's case, unlike Zone Alarm.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned) to winchester73

to winchester73
Does company getting paid for including a foolbar in their software?

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73
I really don't understand why everyone gets so upset whenever another company includes the option of adding a tool bar when installing their software. Note, please, that I said option. I always choose the "Custom" installation option whenever it is offered, so that I see exactly what is being installed on my computer, and I have no difficulty either checking or unchecking the box regarding the installation of the third-party tool bar, or whatever.

As much as we would like our security and other software providers to remain pristine and "true" to their product, they are after all in the business to make money. If they are providing a product, it's their choice regarding how they package it. And if it is a free product - one that the user pays no money for - to gripe about a way they've found to make money from it seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Don't get me wrong - I do find it annoying when I'm buying a piece of software and the manufacturer is trying to get me to add extra software that I don't need. I am paying enough money for a product that is costing them virtually nothing to transmit to me - no packaging or shipping costs, etc. But as long as they provide the option of opting-in or opting-out of the extraneous features, it remains merely an annoyance to me.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned) to winchester73

to winchester73
I know someone who loves to make foolbars he made tons of useless foolbars claiming the state willing to pay money for the crap he makes

bcastner
MVM
join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD

bcastner to DownTheShore

MVM

to DownTheShore
Yes it is optional.

But to me it would be like finding a cigarette vending machine in the waiting room of my heart doctor.