spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jerlands
join:2002-02-04
Houston, TX

jerlands

Check distance to nearest telco/central office

I'm relocating and want to check the distance from my new address to the nearest telco/central office. Is there anyway of doing this online or do I need to contact the phone co.?

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-01-12
Universe

Mountaineer1

Premium Member

»/coinfo
jerlands
Houston, TX

jerlands

Thanks,

The map gave the the nearest CO, I then googled it to locate the address. Seems I'm 2.2 driving mi. away. Not to bad:)

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to Mountaineer1

Premium Member

to Mountaineer1
»www2.dslreports.com/preq ··· distance
dslreports.com message:
Closed until further notice

Prequalification APIs from the major telcos are unavailable to third parties unless they are also allowed to spam or direct-market you merely for enquiring after availability. If you only check the majors, you are missing out on whether local ISPs may be offering equivalent or better service. If you are after broadband and trust your existing phone or cable TV provider, check availability with them directly. If you don't trust them, there may be a local ISP available in your area - use our search services to find out if that is the case.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev to jerlands

to jerlands
said by jerlands:

Seems I'm 2.2 driving mi. away. Not to bad:)
That can be not too good too.

2.2 miles is a little more than 11,600 feet.

Not bad IF every splice is perfect and your pair takes the shortest possible path.

Your mileage may vary, but I think I know something new that can help figure it out.

dslwanter
20 years on this site
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

2 edits

dslwanter

Premium Member

Maybe there's a remote terminal or something he'll be able to get on. 2.2 miles road distance is no where near accurate. Not to mention whatever cross-boxes and other obstacles his line may go through.

Hopefully the positive will come out. I'm 2.6 miles driving distance from mine, I know the exact path my pair takes and theoretically I should still be ok, but mine tests a little longer than the 13,000 feet or so that it would be.

His best bet will be to post a prequal in »AT&T Direct.
jerlands
Houston, TX

jerlands

I've qualified but was considering u-verse thinking latency would be reduced. My present location is 3.1 driving miles from CO, latency is 59ms and w/elite speed is around 6Mbs
allgold
join:2005-03-26
East Lansing, MI

1 edit

allgold to Mountaineer1

to Mountaineer1
According to that I'm 2.4 miles or almost 12,700 feet from the nearest CO. Yet I have Elite. I'm actually less than 5K feet from an RT which isn't shown on coinfo.

Edit: just saw his response. Obviously, Elite isn't coming from 3.1 miles away. There's an RT or U-Verse box somewhere close by.
jerlands
Houston, TX

1 edit

jerlands

When they do the install I'll see if I can get the line distance then see how »/coinfo compares and post back results.