All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
lrmayer
join:2000-02-19
Kendall Park, NJ

lrmayer to knarf829

to knarf829

Re: New IMG Reminders do not change channel.

Do have QAM -- but local HD channels on Fios here are in "800" series and AFAIK also encrypted with all channels above 49. Digital QAM on DVD recorder picks up "no" digital channels.

In contrast, Comcast did not encrypt local HD channels. By the way, neither carry Baltimore channels, but OTA, the Digital Baltimore channels come in fine, while the analog are close to unwatchable.

If you have a way for me to wire the DVD recorder and get HD locals (with Fios) without the STB, let me know -- I certainly have not figured a way to do that leaving the STB out of the loop.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

Cable companies are *required* to carry local HD channels in the clear if they carry them at all. In other words, they don't have to carry the HD channels but must not encrypt them if they do. No areas, to my knowledge, see FiOS encrypting the local HD channels or the digital local SD counterparts.

I have not read about anyone in your area being unable to pick up the local HD channels in the clear using QAM equipped TVs here and, as witnessed in the "Philly VHO Changes" thread, if it wasn't working people would post on it.

If your QAM tuner was working correctly - or if you were using it correctly - you'd be picking up the digital version of your SD locals and your HD locals as well music choice and Urge music channels.

I don't know how to tell you to use your equipment because I don't know your equipment. But it's pretty clear that FiOS isn't encrypting so something is going wrong user-error wise.
EMC26
join:2007-08-21
Tampa, FL

EMC26 to lrmayer

to lrmayer
You should be able to run your cable feed directly into your dvr/tv or whatever has the QAM tuner - don't run it thru the STB first - may have to use a splitter upstream of the STB.

Then run a channel "scan" or whatever your device calls it & it should pick up all the clear channels coming in over the cable - that will include your local HD channels. Your results will show what's available for you to view without the box. The channel "numbers" will be in a different format than you may be used to - i.e. you might have ch 10 which may be the local CBS affiliate & channel 10-1 which may be the local CBS HD broadcast for example.
lrmayer
join:2000-02-19
Kendall Park, NJ

lrmayer

Thanks EMC2 and Knarf829!

Hooked back up DVD-R before STB and did a rescan on a second DVD recorder (with QAM). This time, as you stated, picked up everything -- all you stated and, even the encrypted channels (but of course just black picture on those)

With these recorders a scan sometimes neglects to pick up ANY digital channels -- even though it looks like it is "going through the motions". I have found a solution to this (had the same problem at times with Comcrap) by rebooting the DVD recorder and scanning again. When I first did the scan, the other machine must have encountered that problem -- but I thought that was just the way Fios worked.

Folks, you have not only solved my problem, but now my capability is significantly greater than Comcrap's ever was. Moreover, we will see, might not even need the Verizon DVR given the capability without it (although the multi-room aspect is nice -- avoiding the "sneaker-net" that I long ago remedied on my Computer network with NAS capability).

Thanks again!