uniqs

pL86
@cogentco.com

pL86 to pL86

Anon

to pL86

Re: [TWC] TW Officially Announces Packet Shaping for All RR User

Here's an update on my situation if you're interested:

Two Level 3 techs came to my apartment on Wednesday night. At first, they seemed stumped by my problem. They definitely saw the download speed problems I'm having - they ran speed tests from a number of sites, including the speedtest on DSL Reports - and I was getting 3000 kbits/sec downloads, a third of where it should be. But apparently, my signals tested fine. They ran a continuous ping test and saw some packet loss but not apparently at an excessive level. They speculated that maybe another user on my node was running a server during the evening hours. One tech said that happened with a case downtown, which took months to track down. The other tech was very frustrated and said they had many meetings about bandwidth usage but that management was sticking with its policy that Road Runner doesn't cap. He mentioned with approval that Cablevision did cap and seemed to wish Road Runner did as well. They seemed to be leaning to saying that while I had intermittent speed problems and some packet loss, it wasn't severe enough to trigger additional followup.

Eventually, they left my apartment to test the node in my building that I'm hooked up to. They weren't the most talkative pair but when they got back, it seems that they found something because they said they would book a ticket and another crew would come out to check the building's tap. One of them said that there was definitely a problem. So maybe my conviction that Road Runner was throttling was premature. Hopefully, the next crew will figure out exactly what's going on and fix it. I won't get a personal followup from the next crew but I will report if my problem clears up.

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

1 recommendation

jig

keep us updated

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB to pL86

Premium Member

to pL86
very interesting events. please keep us posted. i have a feeling you got flagged, and the old cablevision throttling kicked in.

just my opinion