how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Uno3whO

join:2002-07-23
Sandy, UT

Can Comcast Dig Up My Yard?

Can Comcast come and dig up my yard without prior notification? This is not a new hook-up and we were not notified that they would be coming out to do any type of service at our house.

They have done some damage to our property and we are curious if they even had a right to be there in the first place.

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

I can't say for sure, not knowing your market, however I suspect what they did was replace your buried coaxial cable and replaced it with new coax protected by pvc piping. If your coax emerges from the ground in a pvc pipe and it didn't used to, that's what they did.

Comcast seems to be on an upgrade kick to encase any buried coax with protective pvc underground piping. It means they'll never have to dig anything up in your yard again. If the coax ever needs replacing, they can "fish" a new line in to your home without ever having to dig again. So as long as the new (if you have it) pvc pipe lasts, no more digging, ever.

As for legality, most utility companies have certain rights to maintain their property up to certain point. Like the electricity company can enter your yard to read the meter or work on their lines up to the meter. The telephone company can do things up to the NID, which is where their responsibility ends. I suspect cable companies have similar rights but digging is always another story.

If you have real damage, call the cable company and complain. So, did they install pvc pipe or did they appear to dig for another reason?

helter

join:2007-09-11
Silverdale, WA
reply to Uno3whO

Really need to ask them, Might not be your property might be public right of way for utilities, hard to tell. But generally in my system we need owners permission. Then again we do not run buried cable, contractor's do that so...

call and complain thats all I can say.

Uno3whO

Sandy, UT
reply to Uno3whO

We are not sure if they buried PVC piping. The current line is run overhead from the phone pole to our house. We will call and ask. Thanks for all the replies!

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Uno3whO

If they have an easment they can do any digging they want so long as you don't fall into the open trench.
What damage did they do besides the digging itself?

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to Uno3whO

Then, most likely the are taking it underground to lessen the chances of getting snagged, or going for a direct bury all the way. Comcast has to pay Utility Pole rental when running lines, just like the Telco, and looks like they may be getting smart and running along the utility easement. Are others in your area getting the same treatment?

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
reply to Uno3whO

Yes..they have a right to be there. They have an easement which is a part of your deed and a right to make any dwelling in their franchise areas serviceable and the right to maintain their equipment and upgrade and improve upon it.

It looks to me like they did a nice job. If it weren't for the snow that was moved..you could hardly tell it was even done.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

It's hard to tell what was in the area around the house and where the run was done. Looks like it might have been mulch. If that's the case, I would agree it looks like a clean job, and they just left a bit of dirt/mulch on the sidewalk. Not a big deal, a broom will take care of that in a few minutes.

If it was grass in that area, then it looks like they tore things up a lot, but it's really hard to tell, and I'm leaning towards mulch.
--
Hello...is there anybody in there?

Expand your moderator at work

INTENS1
Never Stop Trying
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-21
Midwest
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Rick

Re: Can Comcast Dig Up My Yard?

said by Rick:

Yes..they have a right to be there. They have an easement which is a part of your deed and a right to make any dwelling in their franchise areas serviceable and the right to maintain their equipment and upgrade and improve upon it.
Perhaps that's the way it works in your area, but I don't think you can "rubber stamp" that as a given for all. I have an easement for utilities, but if they are going beyond what's granted, then they had better contact me.
--
Anticipate Nothing...Expect Everything

Premium
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Uno3whO

Call a lawyer and ask

RJ44

join:2001-10-19
Nashville, TN

said by 81399672:

Call a lawyer and ask
Yeah, get a lawyer involved. Maybe you can even sue them?

Or you could do what any normal person would do, and call the company that damaged your property, inform them of your complaint, and let them at least attempt to handle it first.

As for them having the right to do the work, who knows? But they definitely have the right to refuse to provide you with service if you refuse to let them do the necessary work to provide that service.

helter

join:2007-09-11
Silverdale, WA
reply to INTENS1

Nah easement is easement. As to pole rental, the feed is still off the pole from what I see, they are just running it down and into his yard which in some cases, (not this one) might get them out an an aerial tresspass at best. I am assuming the damage he mentioned is the vinyl siding corner on the garage or whatever that is in the 2nd picture.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Uno3whO

you consider that damage thats a very nice job of a buried underground. i do it on a daily basis and i will say the same to you as to all the other people that question it. call your township office but what they are going to say is yes comcast can dig in your yard without your permission. same goes for electric , gas, telephone. get over it and let the grass grow in the spring time.

INTENS1
Never Stop Trying
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-21
Midwest

4 edits
reply to helter

said by helter:

Nah easement is easement. As to pole rental, the feed is still off the pole from what I see, they are just running it down and into his yard which in some cases, (not this one) might get them out an an aerial tresspass at best. I am assuming the damage he mentioned is the vinyl siding corner on the garage or whatever that is in the 2nd picture.
I agree they have an easement to their "poles", but that doesn't give them the right to go beyond that easement without contacting me. What's more, why would they even want to dig up someone's yard without contacting the homeowner first?
--
Anticipate Nothing...Expect Everything

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to helter

and they are posably have or will in the future be runnin a burried tap, to totaly get off the pole, thus saving rental/attachment fees

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to INTENS1

its actualy common place if they are doing upgrades, they will have a contractor go out and replace drops/taps,ect and most contractors dont havea need to call ahead, only warning u'll get is the utilties being marked underground.

kadar
Premium,ExMod 2001-02
join:0000-00-00
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

i do it on a daily basis
Me waits patiently for rody_44 See Profile to replace my 20 year old buried 59 cable.
--
The Revolutionary War was fought over a 14% tax, what % are you paying now?

justmy2cents

@centurytel.net
reply to Uno3whO

Hey! Look at it from the bright side.Maybe it's fiber

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Uno3whO

5. Access To Your Premises

You agree to allow us and our agents the right, to enter at reasonable times your property upon which the Services and/or Comcast Equipment will be provided (the "Premises"), for purposes of installing, configuring, maintaining, inspecting, upgrading, replacing and removing the Services and/or Comcast Equipment used to receive any of the Services.

I hate the cable company immensely - but just like any other utility, by subscribing to their service you give them the right to maintain their plant on your property (although much of the route appears to be easement anyway). I'm shocked that they are actually pro-actively maintaining their system, rather than just waiting until it doesn't work any more.

What's your beef? It looks like they did a fairly decent job.
BTW: That fence is illegally attached to the utility pole and is a hazard to personnel who may need to climb it.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by nunya:

by subscribing to their service you give them the right to maintain their plant on your property
What's your beef? It looks like they did a fairly decent job.
I agree.

The "damage" is done but you can probably call them and tell them to disconnect your service. After that's done have a survey done. Put up No Trespassing and NRA signs where your yard borders the rights of way, adjacent private property, and any utility easements. Contact your local police department and give them a signed authorization to arrest trespassers found on your property, even if you do not call or are not at home.

But seriously, it would have been nice if they had let you know in advance and given you the option to contact them or be there while they worked.

I am a bit surprised they did not do this, because how would they have known if you had your own private utilities that they might damage?

My yard is criss-crossed with landscaping lighting lines, drainage piping, 120 V branch circuits, private telephone lines and irrigation lines. I would have a pretty good case for damages if some well-meaning proactive utility dug in my yard without my permission and without contacting me to locate my utilities. They should also pay to locate my private utilities, since the going rate is no less than $100 per hour with a 2-hour minimum around here.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder

madmax20005
Premium
join:2007-04-25
Lookout, KY
reply to Uno3whO

In the system I work we would have the fence removed as it is in violation of easement and it is a hazard to power/telco/cable workers who may need to climb it.

I wish people would stop putting dishes and attaching fences to poles around here. About a year ago a guy who worked for the power company fell from a pole and actually was injuryed due to the fence and the power company employee sued the home owner. served the home owner right

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium
join:2005-01-03
reply to prestonlewis

From the pics, I see the standard red PVC coming out of the ground, and it looks like they put some sort of seal on the end, which I haven't seen before (although I've been out of the industry for a while now).

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX
reply to madmax20005

Then again he could have knocked on the door and asked. We had someone steal our cable so for a few months or so we were on the watch out. I was sitting in my room and I heard noises in my back yard and I saw a guy in the back yard with out a company shirt to identify him and he sure did get a jump when I came out with my gun asking "What in the hell are you doing?"
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

PolarBear03
Premium
reply to Uno3whO

said by Uno3whO:

We are not sure if they buried PVC piping.
The red stuff in this picture looks like pvc pipe to me. I've never seen 1" diameter red coax before, that's for sure!

(It may be orange, I'm too color blind to be sure; so if it is, don't think I'm completely nuts.)
--
There comes a point in your life when you get tired of fixing everything and wiping everyone's ass. But it’s not giving up. It’s realizing that you don’t need certain people and the bullshit and drama they bring to your life.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

in the cable industry any conduit under 1 inch is called drop con and anything over 1 inch is called cable con. over 1 inch is for feeder and anything under is for drop lines. as far as private utilities sure we are responsible and we will be happy to come out and repair any damage. its not like the end of the world if we cut your sprinkler system or underground lighting. we keep the needed repair items on the truck at all times.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Uno3whO

FWIW. its not standard practice to replace underground drops without the homeowner being aware of it. we usually want waivers signed before we do the work. but as i said shit happens and sometimes it gets done without the homeowner knowing in advance. same goes for electric, gas and phone companies.

PolarBear03
Premium
reply to rody_44

Ok, but, why was that posted in response to me? He said he didn't know if they buried PVC pipe or not, and I said it looks like they did. Then your post totally threw me off... :/

Uno3whO

Sandy, UT
reply to Uno3whO

Thanks for all the information regarding the fence being too close to the utility pole. I will check with the fencing company this spring when we go to have the fence replaced.

I do know that when we bought the house, we checked to see if there was any easement on our property or to the alley way and verified that there was not.

We are first time home owners, so when we went into our backyard to find the lawn all dug up it was quite a shock.
As for the damages, it is the vinyl siding and the location that they dug under our concrete is now lower than the rest of the path.

As a few other people mentioned before, It would have been nice to have received some type of notification that they would have been doing this type of work on the property.

Expand your moderator at work