Search similar:

uniqs

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

2 edits

ninjatutle

Is it ok to fill up a car while engine is running?

I seen an old man do it at a gas station.

Ye Olde Man
@verizon.net

Ye Olde Man

Anon

Re: N/m

said by ninjatutle:

Why you Peeping young whippersnapper

Gemstone
Premium Member
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

Gemstone to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle

Re: Is it ok to fill up a car while engine is running?

I do it all the time... Never had a problem...
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle

Re: N/m

Not supposed to be done per the Rules posted at the pump, but if I had a battery going dead and needed to get to the store to get a new one, certainly I would keep it running vs risking it not starting.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
»au.answers.yahoo.com/ans ··· 6AA3CJqm
quote:
Why do you have to turn off your car while pumping gas?

The warnings at the gas stations always tell you to turn off your engine. But why? What ghastly thing will happen to you if you don't? Will it start a fire or something?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
It could start a fire if the fumes from the gas being pumped get close enough to a source of ignition, though that is not really a concern today with the new vapor recovery nozzles that almost every gas station uses these days. Some of the other risky things that leaving your vehicle running while you are pumping your fuel are if the shifter is not completely in park it could move and your vehicle could move on it's own running you over or hitting the car behind or in front of you,if a child or a pet is in the vehicle they could hit the shifter by accident and the same problems as described above could happen. Another thing to be concerned about is static electricity between your body and the fuel pump that is why the tell you to touch a metal object like your cars body to discharge any static electricity before you pick up the fuel nozzle because if a spark from static electricity finds any fuel on or in the nozzle a fire will start on you faster than you can react,and THAT WILL DEFINITELY RUIN YOUR DAY QUICKLY
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88 to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle

A bad idea to leave the engine running, what makes the engine tick besides petrol? Sparks, perhaps. There have been documented cases of explosions due to static electricity, I'm sure not going to push the envelope and trust that either an electrical component is not covered properly or that perhaps some paper might hit a live exhaust system and.....

Seems like a stupid thing to do.

Cheers
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
Well I guess if one old man is doing it, it has to be safe.

(did this guy look like the drummer of Aerosmith, Joey Kramer?)

It's actually against the law... and I'm sure for a good reason. Fires from running engines and filling up with gasoline are rare, but they do happen.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to ninjatutle

to ninjatutle
Is it okay ? Usually it is fine, but too many bad things can happen to risk it.

Like getting back in your vehicle while pumping.

Or running across the highway: 999 times out a 1000 you get across safe, BUT ..... that ONE time.

ZOG321
Premium Member
join:2003-10-22
Slingerlands, NY

ZOG321 to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
Besides the previous posts about the dangers of vehicle shifting out of park and catching on fire there is one other reason not to keep the motor running while fueling.

Newer cars have a sensor monitoring the fuel system for leaks to a closed system. If the engine is running and you're fueling the vehicle you are opening that closed system causing a "check engine" light to come on.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
(removed video due to google demand)

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I had a feeling that video was going to turn up.

Please note, the main point of that video is that static electricity is dangerous.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Yes, that is why I posted it as too many people (it seems females are in the majority) leave the pump when filling up and are supposed to maintain control of the handle instead. There is no reason to go sit down while the car is filling up and if that is what someone wants, they need to just stay in the car and get a full service station to fill their car instead.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

"Full Service"??? I haven't seen one of these in years. (Except in Canada.)

I sometimes leave my Diesel idling while I fill up. But it's not near as volatile, so I don't consider it unsafe.

Splitpair
Premium Member
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne

Splitpair to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka See Profile :

Please note, the main point of that video is that static electricity is dangerous.
It's worth noting the fuel fill hoses on gasoline pumps have a static drain line within them as such as long as the nozzle is in contact with the metal of the of the vehicles fuel filler there will be no static buildup.

What happened in the video is the lady sat in the front seat of the car and upon leaving the vehicle slid off the seat and in the process generated a static charge upon her self then when she touched the fuel filler the charge dissipated back into the vehicle which had already been discharged through the static line in the pumps hose producing a spark which ignited the vapors collecting near the vehicles fuel filler.

Wayne
Langning
Premium Member
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

Langning to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
said by ninjatutle:

My co-worker who is 65 and he did it with his old Caddie as he insisted he can add a gallon more fuel if he kept his car running. He got me nervous the few times when I was a passenger of his. He has a newer DTS now and I don't know if he still keep his old habit.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683 to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
It looked like she was smoking too. That scares me when the gas attendants here in NJ smoke while filling up cars.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

I had a '68 Vette with the gas filler in the center of the rear deck. A hole straight into the gas tank. I yelled quite loudly at a dude one time that was smoking with the cig just aft of the hole. If he had dropped it, there was a chance the whole place would have gone up.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
said by McSummation:

"Full Service"??? I haven't seen one of these in years. (Except in Canada.)

I sometimes leave my Diesel idling while I fill up. But it's not near as volatile, so I don't consider it unsafe.
That still leaves room for other problems, as a passenger could knock the gear selector into reverse or drive while you are outside filling up causing injuries to almost anyone around including yourself. Also your running vehicle is far more attractive to a prospective hijacker since it takes a lot less time to hop in and get moving with a running vehicle (while you chase it from behind) compared to not having it running. Plus the prospective hijacker will likely look for an easier target based on not knowing if the keys are in the ignition or on your person requiring a possible physical attack/physical confrontation of them with you when taking said keys from you at the pump does make you a much less attractive target over being able to hop in a running vehicle leaving you at the pump in shock/disbelief. Generally speaking it is best to turn off all vehicles for multiple reasons when refueling.

Yes, my find a "Full Service" station statement was not entirely serious since they are rare now, but if you really cannot stand by the pump while filling up, instead make sure to bring a passenger that will not mind getting out and filling up for you while you stay seated in the vehicle would be the realistic plan to institute over getting out starting the pump, getting back in the car and then returning to the pump with a possible static charge on your body that is waiting to discharge when you return to the pump and fuel filler area.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

When I'm doing it, I'm standing by the fuel nozzle (or washing the windshield) and my 30' fifth-wheel is hanging on the back. When I do this, I'm normally letting the pickup cool down after just bailing off some hard driving road. The doors may be locked, also, as I've got another key on my "trailer key ring". Not exactly inviting "theft by twerp kid".

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

I fully understand. In fact I have the Door Key on a separating ring myself so my vehicle can be warmed up and remain locked.

Then again, neither one of us are the "average" person.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
I do it all the time... it all boils down to common sense.

If you are worried about your hot exhaust igniting the vapors then remember that it doesnt cool the instant you turn the car off...

I have driven a stick for so long that no matter what vehicle i'm in the parking brake always gets firmly set wherever I am parked. Just a habit now.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by burner50:

I do it all the time... it all boils down to common sense.

Isn't that the bottom line to all things? Yes, indeed. Too many people on this planet and not enough common sense to go around so there is a very large group running around with none at all.

Here are a few... LOL

removed - google classed its own videos as "violent content"

THUD300
Part Of A Complete Breakfast
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Decatur, IL

THUD300

Premium Member

That last one is HILARIOUS... especially where they get out to look at the bumper...not even a glance at the gate that was destroyed (by either one!) then back in the MB to just drive off...LOL I hope she got so busted for that.

seeder_jed
@conceptcable.com

seeder_jed to ninjatutle

Anon

to ninjatutle
I may be off, but didn't the Myth busters do a show dealing w/ movie myths and found that a thrown cigarette isn't hot enough to set a puddle of gas on fire? Not sure how liquid fuel compares to fumes as far as combustabilit temps.
it's the fumes that blow up and not the liquid.
Expand your moderator at work
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope to seeder_jed

Premium Member

to seeder_jed

And when your pumping gas a _lot_ of vapors are released! They have also invested pumps that pull the vapors back in rather then releasing them into the air. So while it's difficult to light gasoline on fire with a cigarette, it's _very_ easy to light the vapors on fire which in turn light the gas which in turn creates a nice fire at a gas station.

Do we _really_ need to leave the vehicle running (_which is against the law!) or can't hold off on smoking while pumping gas?

I've not yet read a _good_reason why people can't turn off their engines while refueling. If it were just that one person, I'd say show that Darwinism still works. Unfortunately others will probably be involved.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
I think the third one was best, I did my usually screaming at the Monitor telling her when to turn, if she had listened to me she would have been in on the first try.

When I worked Downtown, I liked sitting in my window and watch all these people "try" to parallel park.

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium Member
join:2004-11-27
Fort Smith, AR

TODarling to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
Here is my take on this issue.

1. As another person posted with the closed fuel systems you could end up with a check engine light on.

2. Since it is posted on the pump to turn off engine if (this is a big if) something was to happen you could be held liable.

3. I am a tight wad and with gas prices like they are I look for all the savings I can.

4. I locked my keys in my truck one day while getting gas so now its keys in my pocket while pumping.