how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FREDK4

join:2008-01-29
Washington, DC

DVR's That Work with Verizon Fios

I have Verizon Fios TV + Internet + Phone + Verizon Fios DVR.
Are there any DVR's out there that work with Verizon Fios, that I can purchase separately, and not pay $12.99/month to Verizon?

I understand that I need to get another Verizon STB to hook-up to the new DVR.

Thank you all,

Fred

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
You can get a Tivo. That has a monthly fee as well as the cost of cablecards. You can get a DVD recorder and hook it up to a non-DVR STB. You can build a PC based DVR and if you want anything beyond locals you will need a STB.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

bobc2112

join:2004-01-04
Middletown, NJ
Geek, If you buy a PC with cable card support (certified by cable labs), can't you then record essentially all programs?

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Yes, any cablecard enabled device should allow for recording all/most content.

FREDK4

Washington, DC
reply to FREDK4
Thank you GeekNJ and bobc2112 for your replies.

I do not want to get Tivo and pay a monthly fee. And, I don't want to use a PC.

So, if I get a Verizon STB, will any DVR work? Or, do you know of a specific DVR that works best with Verizon STB's?

Thanks Again,

Fred

Hajman

join:2001-12-17
Phoenixville, PA
said by FREDK4:

Thank you GeekNJ and bobc2112 for your replies.

I do not want to get Tivo and pay a monthly fee. And, I don't want to use a PC.

So, if I get a Verizon STB, will any DVR work? Or, do you know of a specific DVR that works best with Verizon STB's?

Thanks Again,

Fred
I'm not aware of any device that would meet your criteria of being (1) a DVR (which means to me a hard drive based unit with a GUI and program guide), (2) not PC-based and (3) no fee for use of the service. I think the closest you can get is a recordable DVD. I'm interested to see if the board can suggest other solutions.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
reply to FREDK4
The requirements the OP has are too stringent. A product doesn't exist. That isn't PC based without a monthly fee. And even PC based without cable cards, you will only have the local digital channels. The HDTiVo is the best solution. $8.30 a month($6.95 a month for more HDTiVos)plus two cable cards for $6 total. That's $14.30 a month and much, much better than the Motorola DVR.
I have four HDTiVos with FIOS. Even if FIOS gave me a free DVR I wouldn't use it except for VOD viewing. I pay $10 a month for a FIOS HD STB so I have VOD access.

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
kudos:1
reply to FREDK4
What's the ultimate goal? Getting a DVR for free? or just not paying VZ any more money, but cost is not an issue for the new DVR?

If cost is not an issue -- TIVO + cable cards

If you want a free DVR -- not gonna happen

Isaka

join:2007-05-12
Lewisville, TX
reply to FREDK4
I remember installing a cable card into a Sony DVR about a year ago. I could swear the customer told me there was no monthly fee aside from the 1 cable card. Might be something to research.

bobc2112

Middletown, NJ
I was pretty late to the Home Theater game. Wasn't there an original competitor to TIVO? Is there any legacy type equipment that might satisfy the OP.

VirtualSlew

join:2008-01-18
Ambler, PA
reply to FREDK4
I use my own Philips DVRs because they have built in DVD burners. I can record to DVR, edit and then burn. However, I have to program them manually to record. The TV Guide feature does not work with Verizon FiOS. I used to manually set the recording time, and then set a Reminder on the STB to change channels. However, with the IMG upgrade, the reminders no longer change the channel. It sucks. If you use your own recording device, there is no longer a way to program a channel change on the STB if you're not home. Luckily my Philips DVRs come with a G-link cable and the DVR can change the channel on the STB through the G-link cable.

Kingscup

join:2006-03-01
reply to bobc2112
said by bobc2112:

I was pretty late to the Home Theater game. Wasn't there an original competitor to TIVO? Is there any legacy type equipment that might satisfy the OP.
There was Replay TV. Just a quick Google search and it looks like it morphed into a PC-based DVR system.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

2 edits
reply to Isaka
said by Isaka:

I remember installing a cable card into a Sony DVR about a year ago. I could swear the customer told me there was no monthly fee aside from the 1 cable card. Might be something to research.
Sony released those in 2004 and were discontinued in 2005.

The HDTiVo is the best solution out there right now. Nothing comes close to it.

FREDK4

Washington, DC
reply to FREDK4
Thank you All for your time, and your wonderful advice and help.

Fred

SD6

join:2005-03-26
reply to Vamp9190
said by Vamp9190:

What's the ultimate goal? Getting a DVR for free? or just not paying VZ any more money, but cost is not an issue for the new DVR?

Other DVRs are just better than the Motorola DVRs in many respects. Monthly fees are a bit of a "tie-in".

Another advantage to a 3rd party DVR is that you "own" the recorded programs, and can transfer them easily to any one of your computers by any means practical for you. Programs recorded on the FIOS DVR only work on the FIOS DVR, and only when the FIOS DVR is online. Obviously, this is OK for time shifters, but not for your favorites you want to keep for a long time. FIOS recorded programs are somewhat analogous to music subscription services in this way. And, just as some people like to own their mp3s, I would like to own my recorded video programs.

jvanbrecht

join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD
This is not correct, you do not "own" any of the recorded content. What you have is an agreement that allows you to view it. In some cases, the content can be transfered under strict guidelines (read: heavy DRM) to other devices, but that is not always the case.

SD6

1 edit
said by jvanbrecht:

This is not correct, you do not "own" any of the recorded content. What you have is an agreement that allows you to view it. In some cases, the content can be transfered under strict guidelines (read: heavy DRM) to other devices, but that is not always the case.
That is why I put own in quotes. I can record it w/o DRM, transfer and view it as much as I want, for my own personal use.

irsean

join:2001-05-10
Redlands, CA
reply to FREDK4
I actually prefer Replay over Tivo. But I'm lookin at playin' with a MythTV HTPC/DVR.

SD6

said by irsean:

I actually prefer Replay over Tivo. But I'm lookin at playin' with a MythTV HTPC/DVR.
I'm looking at MythTV too. Not as easy a setup as replay/Tivo, but it offers more flexibility for transferring video files.

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

4 edits
said by SD6:

said by irsean:

I'm looking at MythTV too. Not as easy a setup as replay/Tivo, but it offers more flexibility for transferring video files.
MythTV cannot directly record any digital channels on FiOS, outside of the locals and music channels.

I'm also know sure what extra "flexibility it offers for transferring video files." The TivoHD lets you download any FiOS HD recording to your computer over your home network. You can do whatever you want with those recordings, ex. remove commercials and burn to DVD.

SD6

said by KenAF:

MythTV cannot directly record any digital channels on FiOS, outside of the locals and music channels.
You can't use MythTV with PC with CableCard support?

KenAF

Arlington, VA
said by SD6:

said by KenAF:

Correct. MythTV does not support CableCards.

bobc2112

Middletown, NJ
Can a Myth Front End Machine, see and play videos created from a cable card PC.

KenAF

Arlington, VA

4 edits
said by bobc2112:

Can a Myth Front End Machine, see and play videos created from a cable card PC.
I don't think so.

Vista encrypts the recordings for storage to disk. You might be able to run the recordings through a program like VideoRedo to remove the encryption, but I'm not sure about that.

If you are going to spend $1500 on a new Vista CableCard PC, you might as well use Vista Media Center with a HD extender like an Xbox360 or Linksys DMA-2100. [You can't buy CableCard tuners for an existing PC, they won't work.]

SD6

reply to KenAF
said by KenAF:

said by SD6:

said by KenAF:

Correct. MythTV does not support CableCards.
That's unfortunate. I will keep looking, and might be constrained to recording the output of the STB for awhile. Aaaargh.

jvanbrecht

Bowie, MD
reply to FREDK4
For the pccards to comply with the cablelabs spec, they have to only support Vista (I believe they refuse to even certify drivers for XP). Once cable card supporting pc tv cards become more ubiquitous, there will be development on supporting them in linux, even if they have to use closed source drivers, which will result in mythtv being able to support them. It will only be a matter of time.

acvthree

@verizon.net
reply to FREDK4

I have a hard time believing cable labs will allow those boards to be used on an open source Linux box.

al

SD6

reply to jvanbrecht
said by jvanbrecht:

Once cable card supporting pc tv cards become more ubiquitous...
This might not happen because CableLabs reportedly refuses to license cablecard sockets for use on tv cards. So you will only get them by buying a complete computer, and I expect cablecard PCs to be sold at a healthy premium ($$).

acvthree

@verizon.net
reply to FREDK4
Yes, I really think that what you are suggesting is what cablelabs was created to prevent.

Al

jvanbrecht

Bowie, MD
reply to SD6
They already sell those complete machines at a hefty rate. Currently ATI are the only venders that have cable card ready pc tuners (external USB and internal). They are only being sold to OEMs at the moment, and some of those run in the $10k+ range (there is one with 4 internal cable card ready tuners).

But.. the line between TV's with STB's and Computers being used in the home entertainment realm is becoming very blurry, and cablelabs will adjust its stance appropriately. Granted, these things get wrapped heavily in DRM, but that does not stop it from being used in OSS operating systems. You can run closed source protected applications under linux. High end CAD applications, hell SCADA applications all closed source (and costing in the $100k+ range run on linux).

It just takes more thought to lock things down.