uniqs

MacThrasher
Premium Member
join:2002-04-26
Chagrin Falls, OH

1 edit

MacThrasher

Premium Member

[upgrade success] Oh yeah. This upgrade was worth it.

I posted (below) from the AT&T Direct forum when I ordered it. I saw speeds increase IN ONE DAY, and now after my 10 plus days I still have a solid:

Same price but double the speed? Hell yeah!
I am one happy customer, now if I could get TV via UVERSE or even DirecTV. I can drop TWC like a bad habit.

(from Direct Forum)Just ordered Elite upgrade. Looking forward to it. Hope everything goes well. If not, I am sure you'll see me a whole bunch in 5 to 7 days.

Two years ago seems I could only get 3.5/512 was the fastest I could get. I found that out from the help of some people here. I routinely get GREAT speeds. Not to mention solid. I wish my electric service was as reliable!

So I got the flyer and can double my speed for the same price I am paying now? Sign me up. Free ATTWiFi? Yes please.

Kudos AT&T! I am pretty confident it will run smooth as silk.

Oh yeah... account info
-removed-

p.s. Will my Speedstream 5360 start smoking with the new speed?

justbits
DSL is dead. Long live DSL!
Premium Member
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL

justbits

Premium Member

Wow, still using a 5360!? Good luck. You must be right on top of a RT or the CO (very very low attenuation). Got line stats from AT+T Direct? I'd bet that a low power level (and attenuation) would result in a longer lasting modem. Regardless, you might want to start looking for a 5100b or 4100 on eBay soon... if for any reason just for the line stats diagnostic capabilities in case your line starts flaking out at the higher speed.

MacThrasher
Premium Member
Chagrin Falls, OH

MacThrasher

Premium Member

I did run a home run to the office, and I replaced all the phone wiring when I bought the house. That helps a lot. Plus having the filter in the NID box helps too. No dongles hanging off all the phone jacks makes my wife happy.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to MacThrasher

MVM

to MacThrasher
The 5360 (along with many other older and even some newer modems) suffers from ACK starvation on the downloads when the upload channel is saturated: »ACK Prioritization: a 4100/4100b vs. 5360 shootout

Now this limitation can be overcome in your router or OS, but it is nice to have the modem handling it transparently.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

1 edit

RadioDoc to justbits

to justbits
said by justbits:

Wow, still using a 5360!? Good luck. You must be right on top of a RT or the CO (very very low attenuation). Got line stats from AT+T Direct? I'd bet that a low power level (and attenuation) would result in a longer lasting modem. Regardless, you might want to start looking for a 5100b or 4100 on eBay soon... if for any reason just for the line stats diagnostic capabilities in case your line starts flaking out at the higher speed.
I'm still using the same equipment I've used since 2002 and am 7500 feet from the CO and 5500 from the RT. Not sure where you're pulling that assumption from. Both are working just fine at 6016/608 and 6016/768.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

I want 10/1.5 and not U-Verse TV, damn-it! :0)

jcmelcher5
join:2006-02-08
Forest Hill, MD

jcmelcher5 to MacThrasher

to MacThrasher
said by MacThrasher:

Plus having the filter in the NID box helps too. No dongles hanging off all the phone jacks makes my wife happy.
I'm a little confused - does this mean that I can place one dongle inside the NID and won't need one even where the modem plugs into the jack? If this is the case, my wife will love it too!

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

No. But you can easily install a splitter, which is probably what MacThrasher See Profile did. You shouldn't have a filter on the modem cord in any case.

MacThrasher
Premium Member
Chagrin Falls, OH

MacThrasher to jcmelcher5

Premium Member

to jcmelcher5
said by jcmelcher5:
said by MacThrasher:

Plus having the filter in the NID box helps too. No dongles hanging off all the phone jacks makes my wife happy.
I'm a little confused - does this mean that I can place one dongle inside the NID and won't need one even where the modem plugs into the jack? If this is the case, my wife will love it too!
Like this.
»AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »NID Splitters and Installation
One pair runs through the house filtered, and another pair goes directly to the office where the modem is. The only downside is if the splitter goes bad, all the phones go out of order.
hopsalong
join:2003-02-17
Westerville, OH

hopsalong to MacThrasher

to MacThrasher
I just upgraded from AT&T basic to Pro after U-Verse was finally fired up in central Ohio. The internet service, and wireless connections, is great. However, the U-Verse TV leaves a lot to be desired. It appears that all cable tv companies have problems with pictures pixelating but U-Verse only does it on NBC and it drives me crazy. When I call AT&T they either tell me to reboot the box or it's the tv stations fault.

TheDuck6
join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH

1 recommendation

TheDuck6 to jcmelcher5

to jcmelcher5
The NID splitter is a special filter that mounts in the NID. About three years ago when my NID splitter shorted out one cold snowy freezing evening I changed my connection as follows. Ran the line from the NID inside the utility room to one of two wall mount phone blocks and a line from that block to the modem jack. The other block has all the phone lines for the house. I plugged one of the wall filters between the two blocks. One filter for the whole house. That was over 3 years ago and had no loss of signal or problem with speeds up to Elite. Easy to isolate if needed by just unplugging the filter. It gets the filter away from the cold and dampness of the NID.