GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA
kudos:2

4 edits

2 recommendations

The "other" hidden menu in your STB - Diagnostic

Your FiOS (and cable TV) Set-Top Box (STB) is a device that needs to be able to process signals in real-time, record (if you have a DVR), respond to your remote, and send video and audio out to your display and stereo in a number of different formats.

There's a lot of information that your STB would like to tell you. It's available in the Diagnostic menu. You don't really need to know about this menu. But for those with a technical curiosity, or, need to troubleshoot something, this is the menu for you.

If you are looking to change your STB's output resolution, aspect ratio, closed captioning, or HDMI advanced settings; that's the setup menu. With the STB On, hit "Power, Select, Menu" in quick sequence.

To enter the diagnostics menu: With your STB powered On, hit "Power, Select, Select" quickly in sequence from the front panel or remote. To exit the menu, hit "Power" to turn off the STB. The next power up will be back to normal.

To avoid duplication, the diagnostic menu details for both the 6400 series and DCT700 STBs are in the »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What Information Can My Set-Top Box Tell Me

(Updated to incorporate comments in posts below.)
(Update to re-direct to FAQ)

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX

1 edit
said by GeekGirl1:

With your STB powered on, hit "Power, Select, Select" quickly in sequence from the front panel. Don't use your remote. To exit the menu, hit "Power" to turn off the STB. The next power up will be back to normal.
Why do you (and others) say to not use the remote? I use the remote whenever I need to get to this menu (which really isn't very often)- I never, ever use the buttons on the STB. I simply:

1) Power off the STB (leaving the TV on, if you have the remote power on/off the TV and STB together then this can be a little problem, but I have mine set to turn them on and off separately as I always leave my STBs on).

2) Hit OK on the remote

3) Hit OK on the remote again

The menu comes up and I can look at the statistics just fine. And when I am through I just power off the STB and power it back on again.

The advantage is that this can all be done from the comfort of the recliner, and squinting (with these old eyes) at the labels on the STB in the low light of the TV room is not required.
--
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV and Internet
Motorola QIP6416 HD DVR
Sony KDL-V40XBR1

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to GeekGirl1
Thanks for the credit (and good detail). Nice work.

I believe the box will not shut off during a recording (re: entering the diagnostic menu while recording).

Fieldhouse

join:2008-01-24
Dundee, OR
reply to GeekGirl1
Excellent info. Thanks for the details. I messed with this a bit after seeing the OP yesterday but hadn't figured it all out yet. This helps a lot.

andrewLeddy

join:2006-02-14
Harleysville, PA
reply to GeekGirl1
said by GeekGirl1:

I haven't looked at the diagnostic menu since I've had Comcast, so it's about time to dig into it for Verizon FiOS. (Thanks to knarf829 for the access code: »Line Attenuators)

With your STB powered on, hit "Power, Select, Select" quickly in sequence from the front panel. Don't use your remote. To exit the menu, hit "Power" to turn off the STB. The next power up will be back to normal.

The setup menu is where you configure the display, 4:3 override, HDMI settings, etc. is accessed by hitting "Power, Select, Menu". That's different than the diagnostic menu described here.

This menu is how your STB tells you what's going on. Everything from signal quality to channel encryption status to it's IP address and who it's talking to over the MoCA ethernet. The Line Attenuator thread contains a link that describes what the screen looks like and how to find SNR and AGC: »cjhengineering.com/hdtv/cablehdt···diag.htm. However, it's old and Verizon's menu contains additional entries.

I don't think you can hurt anything as this menu doesn't allow for user entry. Read-only. I think...

D06 Current Channel Status: Displays details about the flags used to set copy protection. Those interested in recording over firewire may want to visit AVS forum to understand the CCI and other bits to determine if a program can be copied / recorded: »www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre···page=148. The menu shown in the link above is old.

D16 Connected Home: Page 4 (scroll up/down) shows the STB's TX data rates, in Mbps. I think it might be useful for those with home media DVRs that transfer their videos around the house. I don't know, as I don't have one. But it looked interesting. My data rate is around 230 Mbps.

D11 Interface Port Status: You can find the display EDID data here. It's a map of supported video resolution formats. Helpful for debugging 480i vs. 480p vs. 720p vs. 1080i.

D03 OOB Status: Out Of Band, meaning this is the RF channel for the program guide. 75.25 MHz.

D04 Inband Status: The status of the current channel. Select the channel of interest, then access the diagnostic menu. The menu will report the channel it's currently tuned to.

Note: Be careful to note which tuner is in use. My HD-DVR has 2 tuners, the current channel was on Tuner 2, not Tuner 1. I did not enter the diagnostics menu while it was recording as I didnt' know what would happen and didn't want to risk lose anything.

I checked the SNR, AGC, and correctable errors for a few channels. SNR is >37 dB, AGC "Good", 0 errors. Helpful if you have pixelation errors (those that are not from Verizon) or lose a channel. I mapped a few channels:

Channel Name Frequency Modulation
75 Versus SD 795 MHz 256-QAM
829 Comcast Sportsnet-HD 639 MHz 256-QAM
833 HDNet 501 MHz 256-QAM
846 Discovery HD 669 MHz 256-QAM

Knowing the right frequency is very helpful if you think you are having signal problems. Like if you are having a problem on a channel at 800 MHz and not having problem at 100 MHz, check your coax. Or, if you are using a QAM tuner without an STB, you could map frequencies to channels and see why your QAM tuner won't decode a channel.
OOB is only used for firmware and channel map and other items to allow you to see the video.
Guide comes from the IP network port.

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA

1 edit
I've updated post #1 to reflect all the comments. All in one nice spot.

justin9876 - I remember seeing a few posts a while back where there were problems using the remote. Was just being cautious. I removed my comment.

knarf829 - updated for box recording.

andrewRedHil - The guide data certainly comes over IP network, but how does it travel over the coax to the STB? That's where the ActionTec's MoCA interface comes into play. »Re: FIOS TV & Router Turned On

Templar05

join:2008-01-28
Monroe Township, NJ
reply to GeekGirl1
Good work! Very informative ...

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
reply to GeekGirl1
My max. temp indicated 117F and current temp of 102F. How do other people's temperature look like? I have a problem with my DVRs rebooting. This is an excellent way to see if mine are hotter than other peoples'.

knarf829

Temp 100 Max 108

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX
reply to batsona
Temp 90 Max 117

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA

4 edits
Post #1 updated again. Found a lot more stuff to document.

You can see that the STB is using the SD digital channels for 2-49, not analog. Guess that's in preparation for the analog cutoff. Already done.

The "GPS" time in the General Status menu (D01) is really wrong. Should be UTC or GMT, but I've seen that when I had Comcast, so probably not worth reporting. I'm sure it's synced to a time standard, but GPS is just plain wrong usage here.

Interesting that the firmware release is listed as November 15, 2007. Verizon started promoting the new IMG back in August, 2007...

Might want to add the over-temperature flag / counter, just in case:
Temp: 100 deg F, Max 113 deg F
Over Temp: No, Count: 0

FYI - The STB manual says to allow 2" of air space above and to each side for ventilation. If temperature's a problem, be sure you get enough air flow.

knarf829

I'm 99% sure that FiOS STBs have always used the digital versions of 2-49 pre-dating the plan to cut of analogs in 2009.

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA
I was 99% sure also, but now it's 100%. I did that on purpose to show an example of how to use the STB's menu for RF channel debugging.

afiggatt

join:2007-07-12
Sterling, VA
reply to GeekGirl1
said by GeekGirl1:

You can see that the STB is using the SD digital channels for 2-49, not analog. Guess that's in preparation for the analog cutoff. Already done.
The Verizon STBs and DVRs do not have analog tuners. I don't think Verizon ever released STBs with an analog tuner. The SD locals and PEGs that fill most of the mapped channels 2 to 49 are generally located at QAM 63 to 68 with QAM 64 unused at my CO.

Last fall, I asked people to go into the diagnostics menu to look up the QAM frequencies of their HD channels and especially the HD RSNs. All reports had the national HD channels and the national SD channels we checked at the same QAM channels in all markets. Maybe it is time to recheck the QAM scan to see if anything has changed lately and (re)post the QAM channel breakdown for the HD channels and the locals for the northern VA/Washington DC market. The locals all appear to be at QAM 63 to 68 range with the digital broadcast HD/SD locals at QAM 71 to 75 or higher.

x030399

join:2007-11-08
Hightstown, NJ
reply to GeekGirl1
I checked my stats on the HD DVR, and everything was "good", but when I check it on my SD non-DVR box (slightly different menu with blue screen and less info), it says the SNR is 13 and "poor."

The HD DVR is closest to the ONT and before the 3 way splitter that feeds the upstairs bedrooms, where the SD box and Actiontec are, so I'm assuming it's attenuation that's causing the "poor" reading upstairs.

Regardless, the SD box gets a perfect picture on all channel, and VOD and widgets work fine. Should I care that it comes up "poor?"

bobc2112

join:2004-01-04
Middletown, NJ
Wow, you folks are amazing. Might be a good overall topic for a Sticky (STB Settings / Menus) now that the IMG threads have lost steam, by the looks of the last posts!

I for one always have to re-search how to get to menus and such....

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA

2 edits
reply to x030399
You should not be getting a "poor" SNR if Verizon properly adjusted the signal level at your TV when they installed it.

The "poor" SNR is because the STB is receiving the digital channel (256-QAM) just fine. If it was analog, it would look noise and very "poor". If the signal level drops any more, you will start to get pixelation and then no more picture. IOW, the "poor" is a don't care until you lose the picture. Are you sure that you are getting all the channels?

If you did the install yourself (post Verizon), check that the splitter has a 1 GHz bandwidth. Or, you have old coax.

You can temporarily replace the 3-way splitter with an F-connector adapter "bullet" (female-female) and see if anything improves.

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA
Post #1 updated again. Figured out how the STB is connected to the ActionTec router.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to GeekGirl1
My DCT-700 and DCT-6412 Phase 2 DVR with Comcast both have the d16 Connected Home diagnostic. I thought those boxes didn't support Moca? Since firmware 16.35(DVR) and 3.17(DCT-700) that diagnostic shows up. Did they add Moca via firmware somehow?

Does d07 upstream modem show anything on Verizon? I'm guessing it wouldn't, since it talks back with Moca then out the IP network.

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA

2 edits
d07 menu added to post #1.

From what I remember, Comcast used this for the DOCSIS modem data rates and return channel frequency (about 11 MHz). For Verizon, it's just a dump of the ethernet settings. No DOCSIS modems anywhere near this thing, so I guess they redid this menu for ethernet only.

Verizon supplies an external router, made by ActionTec, that has the MoCA interface to the ONT. It's designed to work with the STB, as shown in the "d16 Connected Home" menu.

Firmware is used to execute the hardware. If the firmware is different, it's because the hardware is. MoCA in the firmware means that the design supports it.

(Going by memory, please correct if wrong.)

jerry k

@verizon.net
reply to justin9876
Please help me with my Moterola QIP 2500 STB

"With your STB powered on....Should my (free) Sharp LC 19SB TV be “on” or “Off” at this time?

"Hit Power, Select, Select quickly....If the TV is "off" at this time,I assume i now turn it on. Or,should it have already been on?

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

1 edit
reply to GeekGirl1
Have the TV on at at the start of the procedure.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA

2 edits
reply to jerry k
And keep your TV on. This is for the STB only.

What your STB does over HDMI: The STB does a digital "handshake" (are you there?) with the TV during power up. If it doesn't "see" the TV, it doesn't display. Usually not a problem if you turn them both on at the same time. Just thought to mention it. The STB will very briefly flash a "DU1" when it's done shaking hands (OK, I found it).

(More technical: The STB authenticates the connection, thanks to HDCP copy protection.)

jerry k

@verizon.net
Thank you both, "Keyboards" and "GeekGirl1"
After one passes age 75, the memory cells don't always click in. However, your straight forward advice is awesome
(My wife is watching the tube now, I shall try the fix later
Jerry k in Tewksbury MA

jerry k

@verizon.net
GeekGirl1 and Keyboards, your advice was great and it worked

Am now trying, without sucess, to acess the USER SETTINGS
I tried both methods, pushing the buttons in quick sequence
Using remote control, Power -OK - Menue
Using STB front panel, Power - Select -Menu
The TV did not display a white screen with black test
It did display what appearaead to be some kind of Sharp menu
What I am trying todo is change TV type to 16.9 and move the 4.3 Override to "Off"

Does it make any difference that I receive a digital but not HD signal

Thank you again for your help
Jerry K in Tewksbury MA

sneskid

join:2008-01-10
Arlington, VA
I don't think this applies, as the QIP2500 is not an HD STB. It also doesn't have HDMI anyway.

GeekGirl1
Premium
Morrisville, PA

4 edits
reply to jerry k
said by jerry k :

Using remote control, Power -OK - Menu
It did display what appeared to be some kind of Sharp menu
sneskid hit the nail on the head. I flat out missed that your QIP2500 is an SD box, meaning that all output is 4:3. You don't have an HDMI output.

The Motorola product info, with datasheet: »broadband.motorola.com/catalog/p···ctID=445

You shouldn't be seeing anything related to your TV menu. Do you have your remote setup to turn on/off the STB together with the TV? I do. When you need to go into the STB setup menu, you should do it from the STB directly (no remote). That keeps things separate.

Never blame age! It's just a complicated subject.

sneskid

Arlington, VA
said by GeekGirl1:

said by jerry k :

Using remote control, Power -OK - Menu
It did display what appeared to be some kind of Sharp menu
sneskid hit the nail on the head. I flat out missed that your QIP2500 is an SD box, meaning that all output is 4:3. You don't have an HDMI output.

The Motorola product info, with datasheet: »broadband.motorola.com/catalog/p···ctID=445

You shouldn't be seeing anything related to your TV menu. Do you have your remote setup to turn on/off the STB together with the TV? I do. When you need to go into the STB setup menu, you should do it from the STB directly (no remote). That keeps things separate.

Never blame age! It's just a complicated subject.
Heh.. the only reason I know about the QIP 2500 is because that is the only STB I have. I still have yet to upgrade to HD, but I sure better do so soon while I can still get a good used Sony HD CRT. Sony doesn't make HD CRTs anymore, and I'm not really a big fan of LCD or Plasma...

jerry k

@verizon.net
My thanks again to sneskid and GeekGirl 1
Wish I read the note which came with the TV,
"You need validate these settings only if you are connecting your new Sharp 19" TV to a HD Verizon STB"

May I please ask one last question concerning the View mode
The TV came in "stretch mode" which I didn't like. I tried 4:3, and the picture was shortened. I tried zoom at 2.35.5 but lost top and bottom of the picture. Stretch at 1.78.1 seems to work best. Is this the best choice?
My thanks again
Jerry K
Tewksbury MA

sneskid

Arlington, VA
said by jerry k :

My thanks again to sneskid and GeekGirl 1
Wish I read the note which came with the TV,
"You need validate these settings only if you are connecting your new Sharp 19" TV to a HD Verizon STB"

May I please ask one last question concerning the View mode
The TV came in "stretch mode" which I didn't like. I tried 4:3, and the picture was shortened. I tried zoom at 2.35.5 but lost top and bottom of the picture. Stretch at 1.78.1 seems to work best. Is this the best choice?
My thanks again
Jerry K
Tewksbury MA
That depends on who you ask. Me, I personally prefer to watch everything in its original aspect ratio. The bars that result from this don't bother me one bit. What DOES bother me is an image that is either cropped, distorted, or otherwise modified in some way. So to answer your question, when you are watching something on FIOS, I would say that the "correct" way is to leave your TV on 4:3, since that is the only aspect ratio that your box outputs.
There is an exception, however. Let's say that for example you are watching a movie on Turner Classic Movies, and it is in letterbox format (which occurs a lot, since TCM usually is pretty good about film preservation). Sometimes this means that you can use the zoom mode without cutting anything off the top and bottom. I say SOMETIMES of course, because different movies are shot in all different aspect ratios.

That said, it is understandable that people want to "fill the screen" on their TVs. However again, if filling the screen means that the image is cropped or distorted in some way, I object to this completely.

To quote someone in the alt.tv.tech.hdtv usenet discussion group:
"Just say NO to Stretch-O-Vision."

Now since you don't have an HD box, there is a work around to this if you want to at least be able to watch SOME HD programming. Your TV does have a QAM tuner, which means that for some channels, you can bypass the set top box and use the tuner in your TV instead. When you reprogram the TV's tuner, it should pick up some of the HD channels that Verizon offers.
Also, if your TV has a cable card slot, your other option is to call Verizon and tell them that instead of the cable box, you want a cable card instead. The drawback is that you will not have the on screen guide that the box offers, and you won't have Video On Demand either.