uniqs

sawman
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
BC KS

sawman

Premium Member

getting *.vob onto disc to play in standalone player

Thanks to dadkins suggestion in a thread and forum faq I got Super@ and encoded some *.avi movies overnight. Tried burning one to disc this morning with roxio 6 drag-to-disc and got a coaster that tries to work in my philips 5982. The *.vob plays fine on my computer with VLC. The philips says it plays divx, one of the avi has divx in name, would it play if burned as is? I'm running out of dvd-r discs. How can I get a good disc that will play in my standalone player? Thanks again, Super sure seems to be!

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

Super should create an iso (disc image) which you can then burn or it will create vob files which then need to be burned in video format. Look at the file structure of a standard DVD and you will see the difference.

It's also a good idea when experimenting like this to use DVD-RW discs. Then when it fails, you can reuse the disc.

There are some restrictions, but you can just burn the avi files onto CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-RW as data (as is) and the 5982 will play them. This method also saves time, money, and quality loss from re-encoding.

sawman
Premium Member
BC KS

sawman

Premium Member

Give the Dogg a T-bone!! The wife will enjoy this tonight in the living room! After drag-to-disc rejected a cd as having problems(new, but bought over 6 years ago), I found the spindle I thought was cds were actually dvd-Rs(allbeit Memorex, not the best choice I hear. Perhaps the coasters havn't been a big loss). Burned the avi on one of the dvd-r and after playing ring around the rosie with the eject setting finally got it to play on the philips! Now I'm wondering if four avi or more won't go on a dvd disc! Thanks again, and again.
sawman

1 edit

sawman

Premium Member

Premature joy there. Plays two or three minutes and stops. Will have to see about encoding to ISO I guess. Dang it.

Will it be any quicker to encode avi or the vob?

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic

Premium Member

It should be quicker to encode the vob as it will already be in mpeg 2 format.

sawman
Premium Member
BC KS

3 edits

sawman

Premium Member

How do I go about burning the vob file in video format? Burning the TS_01_1.VOB file directly to disc plays with VLC on computer but doesn't load at all in philips player. Thanks...sure hope I live long enough to accomplish this...

and I don't see an ISO choice in output of Super...

ok, trying to build iso with dvd decrypter...

no luck burning image with decrypter, "Invalid or unsupported file format! Reason: UDF anchor tag ID is incorrect...
sawman

sawman

Premium Member

Ended up with an ISO file on disc that everything now wants to burn. When I choose the image file on hard drive with Roxio6 DVD builder it says its not an image file, choose a file with an ISO extension. It has an ISO extension. I'm ready to give up. I'm ready to buy the avi2dvd, or whichever program it was that had the watermark deadcenter of picture, at least it burnt a usable disc in one shot. Can anyone point out where I took a wrong turn(or three)?

ITGuy72
Permanently Disco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-01
New York

ITGuy72

Premium Member

I found a program called DiVXtoDVD that worked the one time I needed to do this. It was the older free version, not the new trialware. The version is 0.5.2.99. Maybe give that a try

sawman
Premium Member
BC KS

1 edit

sawman

Premium Member

Thanx,might try that. Changed the extension from capital letters to lower case and roxio then accepted the *.iso, burned a *.vob file to the disc which tries to play on the player but the aspect ratio is screwed up and didn't even make it to beginning of film before screwing up. This bs is going to send me to an early grave.

Finally.It was VSO's ConvertXdvd that I had tried(watermarked).Thanks ITguy72, I found the freeware version of their DivxToDVD 0.5.2.99 and burned the video TS files with a trial version of their CopyToDVD(time limited but no watermark). Think I figured what I did wrong with Decrypter, I chose the .iso instead of the .mds, so I think I could do this with Super and decrypter now. Will try after a good nights sleep. May have to ante up to VSO just because they got me to a working copy!