spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

speakup

@verizon.net

Blurry Verizon Fios VOD picture

I called Verizon about a blurry picture when using Fios VOD (video on demand) they told me that I was the first to complain about the problem ... it's nice to see by all the comments posted about this problem that I'm not crazy ... my HD and even SD channels aren't bad but the VOD looks like a poor out of focus picture ...

magilladke

join:2005-12-07
Collegeville, PA
Yea I started playing a VOD and it was blurry. I stopped watching it.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
I'm assuming this is through the HD-DVR? If so, it's likely related to the crappy SD put out through the box since the IMG everyone wanted so badly was rolled out.

magilladke

Collegeville, PA
reply to speakup
I have an HD DVR, but the regular SD is fine. The VOD SD is considerably worse.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

1 edit
reply to speakup
The quality of the VOD movies is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I bought two movies so far, Fracture and Ocean's Thirteen, and the picture is completely blurry, out of focus, and no Dolby Digital 5.1.

The compression on their VOD library has to be huge. If you want to see what I mean, just choose to watch a free trailer for a movie, it looks really bad.

FIOS MAN9

join:2008-01-03
Pleasantville, NY
reply to speakup
Its like watching a VHS tape that has been sitting in a damp basement for 10 years. The quality is horrible!

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

Huntington Station, NY
reply to speakup
I can't believe Verizon would approve of this quality on their VOD titles. Absolutely horrible.

ProFiOSDude
Premium
join:2005-05-27
Chesapeake, VA
VOD is somewhat regionalized. Wonder if people in Virginia, Texas and California are experiencing the same. I've watched both SD and HD VOD and not experienced the degradation you've described.

PFD

Pvcleave

@xerox.com
reply to speakup
My wife usually never complains about picture quality, but when she watches the VOD she has been complaining.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

Huntington Station, NY
reply to ProFiOSDude
All I can say is the VOD is MUCH worse than the degraded SD picture quality on the DVR from the new IMG.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to ProFiOSDude

I've watched a sample HD VOD and a number of episodes of various shows in SD (Medium in widescreen -- it came that way -- Monk, Psych, and other CBS/NBC shows) and they all looked great...

jgb0607

join:2002-08-16
Dallas, TX
In Dallas, Texas Here...

SD quality is much worse than Time Warner/Comcast on both my HD and SD tv's through the HD DVR boxes.

VOD is EVEN WORSE than the SD channels.

HD seems ok.

I did not have FIOS before the IMG, so I can not speak to the difference before and after.

Getting very fed up with this lack of quality.

magilladke

Collegeville, PA
reply to ProFiOSDude
I'm in PA and the VOD was bad. I stopped watching it, did anyone post the issue in the Verizon Direct forum?

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
said by magilladke:

did anyone post the issue in the Verizon Direct forum?
I'm sure some has and I'm equally sure they got the same stock answer "Verizon is aware of the problem and is currently working on a solution. At this time there is no ETR for this issue."

This is the same answer I have been getting for another issue for over 2 months (and no it is not a problem just limited to myself, but most Sharp TV owners) and another (green line / "beveled" picture) which is also still an open ticket.

In what flavor would you like your pablum today?
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

Huntington Station, NY
Haha..That's the generic "We aren't doing Sh*t about it" propoganda line.

jgb0607

join:2002-08-16
Dallas, TX
Has anyone thought of demanding a discount for this lack of reasonable quality on the VOD?

tvnsucks

@verizon.net
reply to speakup
blme TVN www.tvn.com the vod provider for fios. they encode movies at low rates so that they can pitch (send) more content faster. also lower bit rates =smaller files that sit on vod servers. that way cable companies can store more movies on their servers.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA
said by tvnsucks :

blme TVN www.tvn.com the vod provider for fios. they encode movies at low rates so that they can pitch (send) more content faster. also lower bit rates =smaller files that sit on vod servers. that way cable companies can store more movies on their servers.
I loved TVN over big dish satellite, and they had around 19mbps per channel on the encrypted digital stuff, most used a full transponder at 45mbps analog, it's been 3 years since I went from the big dish to Dishnetwork's little dish but I doubt it's their fault, and they had 10 transponders as I recall.
--
no sports watched here, so don't want to pay for it!

Korro

join:2008-03-15
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to frankpf3
I have the same issue with Blurry Verizon FIOS VOD picture. I think I will call them to discuss, because this is not acceptable. as for the 5.1 I can understand that because unless it was a HD movie they will not send it over.

whenandwhere

@verizon.net
reply to speakup
Yup, Here in Silver Spring, MD.. VOD sux a$$.
With all the ads about getting the best picture for your HD, why do they not even offer Widescreen VOD?

Picture quality is horrible..just like someone said..like watching an old VHS tape! Hope this gets better soon.
I called in twice to complain and they comp'd me both times.

legalaliens

join:2007-02-23
Fairfax, VA
reply to ProFiOSDude
VOD in Northern Virginia sucks as well. Poor PQ.

REPAIRMAN29

join:2008-03-18
Seaford, NY
reply to speakup
Same here in ny

rocky01
Premium
join:2002-04-24
NE
reply to speakup
This is unacceptable. I would hope users are posting this on VZ Direct so this becomes a priority going forward.

sluri

join:2001-02-10
reply to speakup
Yup northeast PA, and it sucks. I would love to use a different word, but the VOD quality just flat out SUCKS.

I miss comcasts VOD especially the HD. Hopefully verizon keeps on top of this and fixes this issue and gets more (is there any right now??) HD VOD, after all it is fiber.....