CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

Need Cable Assistance

I have all the parts ready to order for my new build but I cant seem to find the cables that I need. I will have 3 HDD's and 2 DVD burners. Also do I need any other PSU cables?

jouno53
Palin 2012
join:2006-03-04
United State

jouno53

If the HDDs you bought are SATA, and your motherboard and/or HDDs don't come with enough cables, then yeah, you'll need more. Same with the DVD burners.

A retail motherboard usually comes with 2-3 SATA cables though, and if you're buying a new PSU then it should have everything you need.

Post the parts just in case, please.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

Heres the parts

SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 27151154

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13128050

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W Power Supply Retail
»www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/P ··· 10006237

asdfdfdfdfdf
@Level3.net

asdfdfdfdfdf to CCat

Anon

to CCat
Your psu should be fine and you shouldn't need anything for power connections.

»www.coolermaster.com/pro ··· &id=2552

You have 6 sata connectors on 2 different cable runs. Depending on where you put the drives there is always the chance that you will have to play around with getting everything to reach properly but you should have enough connectors.

You didn't specify whether the hard drives are ide or sata but either case should have enough power connectors.

As far as the data cables I would get enough extra for the number of drives you have and not worry about what is included with the board. It is always good to have a few data cables extra for troubleshooting etc. They don't cost much and there is nothing more annoying than having everything you need and finding a data cable might be faulty or you are one cable short.

At newegg they can be found under computer accessories -> cables or cables-round. If you are buying ide cables they come in different lengths up to 3' and 2 or 3 connectors(if you want to slave some drives you need the 3 connector type. Get ata 100 or 133 and, if you go really cheap be careful with the connectors as they won't hold up to abuse.
Since you have so many drives you need to consider where they are going to be placed and try to choose cable lengths that are appropriate. You don't want them to be too short but you don't want your case stuffed full of unnecessary cable length either.

It sounds as if you are wanting to set up a raid array, given the number of internal drives. You might want to consider if this is really necessary for your uses.

If you have further questions or want to check your choices post back.