uniqs

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi

Premium Member

Wow

Just two weeks ago I called T-mobile about disabling texting and was told they couldn't do it because of phone updates. I am glad BBR posted this. Now off to join in the fun.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Wild West

Smokey

Premium Member

I see what they are saying, as when I needed to update my phone's software they sent it as a text. I think that future phones shouldn't need that function as they allow updates via the data link or even 3g. I'm sure that if t-mobile really wanted to do so, they could come up with a solution to keep unwanted texts from showing up and still allowing system texts to get through.

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi

Premium Member

I suggested blocking data from every source that wasn't from T-mobile, or tunneling like a vpn. They said it wasn't possible. I said "BS".

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
Wild West

Smokey

Premium Member

Its cost prohibitive, to coin a phrase I have come to know well in government service. They could do it, but dont like the costs involved, both from a technical level and a profit level. They do make a nice penny from those unwanted texts when it only costs a faction of a cent to send, and .25 to receive.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Smokey

to Smokey
said by Smokey:

I see what they are saying, as when I needed to update my phone's software they sent it as a text. I think that future phones shouldn't need that function as they allow updates via the data link or even 3g. I'm sure that if t-mobile really wanted to do so, they could come up with a solution to keep unwanted texts from showing up and still allowing system texts to get through.
I fail to see ANY linkage between Updates (and Ring Tones?) being sent as text and an inability to turn off/block incoming text messages. For me to receive a text message it must be delivered to (or created on) T-Mobile's network. Once it is on their network and ready for delivery to my handset, just check if my number is set for "No Texting" [and if so, abort the delivery attempt) and that ends the problem.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

I was wondering the same thing. Cingular/ATT is also running a GSM network and they seem to be perfectly capable of controlling what goes to the handsets.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
Wild West

Smokey to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL
Its not that simple though... As you are not always on t-mobile's "network" even when your phone says that you are. I imagine that the best method to block texts would be a feature on the handset, and perhaps this is what t-mobile is saying they can not do. It would be great if someone knowledgeable in texting and GSM networks could chime in on a best possible method.

dot_null
Premium Member
join:2004-06-28
Kennesaw, GA

dot_null

Premium Member

said by Smokey:

Its not that simple though... As you are not always on t-mobile's "network" even when your phone says that you are. I imagine that the best method to block texts would be a feature on the handset, and perhaps this is what t-mobile is saying they can not do. It would be great if someone knowledgeable in texting and GSM networks could chime in on a best possible method.

If you are roaming on a partner network, incoming text messages still pass through T-Mobile's network on some level, so I'm sure that wouldn't be an issue.

The handset solution is less than perfect. For example, if the customer is using an unlocked handset which is flashed with unbranded firmware, this wouldn't work. The user would have to flash their phone to the provider's version of firmware (if available for their specific model), possibly re-locking their handset and subsequently removing many of the features present on unbranded firmware which the provider sometimes removes.

This should really happen on the network level. If at&t/Cingular, which also operates a GSM network stateside, can block incoming text messages, there is no reason T-Mobile can't either. T-Mobile already has filters in place online, and really, how hard would it be for them to add an option to only receive T-Mobile system messages (e.g. your bill is past due, we have updated our terms and conditions, etc.)?