More information As a T-Mobile customer I too requested to have SMS removed due to an influx of spam and recycling of my current number about 5 months ago. I was told that they cannot do this due to the necessity to allow the phone to receive SMS messages from T-Mobile (billing alerts, etc).
However, I have virtually eliminated all incoming SMS spam (except for the occasional person sending me a real human entered message from an old address book) using T-Mobile's anti-spam tools and changing my phones email address. It's worked great for the past 5 months.
Here's how you do it.
1) Sign in to My T-Mobile via »my.t-mobile.com/login/?
2) Click the Communication Tools menu item.
3) Click Change my phones email address in the bubble-menu on the right.
4) Change your address to something obscure, not firstname.lastname@example.org. For example, I use UNDISCLOSED_NULL_UNDISCLOSED_XXXX@tmomail.net where XXXX was the last four of my mobile phone number.
5) Update your settings to commit the changes.
6) Click Create e-mail filters in the bubble-menu on the right.
7) Select the Yes radio button for Block all messages from E-Mail to handset.
8) Select the No radio button for Allow messages ONLY to "My Phone's E-Mail address".
9) Update your settings to commit the changes.
That's it. You should see a dramatic reduction and possible cessation in SMS spam.