join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd

Re: RealPlayer Called Badware

said by Kearnstd:
said by Mele20:

That doesn't say if you can play Rhapsody in Linux though. I wish Winamp had a Linux version because I listen to AOL XM Radio all the time and it has the best rock stations I've found outside of Rhapsody. I have planned to install Ubuntu and set aside a partition on my new drive for it but I want to be able to listen to either Rhapsody or AOL XM Radio.
how does XMMS compair to winamp? i know its a major winamp clone. sadly a native linux winamp probally wont happen with it being owned by AOL.
XMMS is like Winamp v2 to me. Not bloated, less bells and whistles. It was just resurrected back to development recently. It had no updates for a long time. See »www.xmms.org

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to SUMware2

MVM

to SUMware2
Click for full size
The default settings for Real Player are not to my taste, but it's pretty easy to get rid of all those "features" that call home. Just uncheck all the options in the Internet/Privacy settings. Also disable automatic updates, the message center and a few other options.

In my opinion, it's a good player, once tamed.
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

3 edits

SUMware2

Premium Member

said by jmorlan:

In my opinion, it's a good player, once tamed.
Yeah, but why bother when there are excellent free player alternatives (including some open source) that don't spy, nor mislead, nor push ads, and don't require taming?
The Snowman
Premium Member
join:2007-05-20

1 recommendation

The Snowman to SUMware2

Premium Member

to SUMware2

About Snakes.....a snake can shed it's skin......but it still remains a S N A K E.

Caution
@verizon.net

Caution to SUMware2

Anon

to SUMware2

While reading another Topic I cam upon this statement made by a member ( wont mention their name)

"I'll be getting a free copy of Vista Ultimate for letting MS put their spyware on my computer for three months."

Either a person is or is not oppose to spyware, malware, trojans and viruses....or they are not. There is no such thing as a middle ground or a compromise. An herein is one of the major reason spyware continues. For a freebe people sell their Souls. They will bow and kiss the ars of spyware vendors or so-called previous spyware vendors and then come to a security forum shouting they are security buffs. That same person who made the above post is now advocating the use of RealPlayer here in this topic.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins to The Snowman

MVM

to The Snowman
Yep!
I see many people here, even some friends, that swear by WeatherBug.

Snake - skin - Snake.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Caution

Premium Member

to Caution
OOOH! Someone is jealous! There's a whole bunch of us over in the Microsoft forum that are delighted because we all just got the confirmatory email from Microsoft assuring us that we have met the requirements of the offer to this point and in mid March our gifts (Vista Ultimate or Office 2007 full retail versions) will be sent.
»*Dead* [Free] Vista Ultimate or Office directly from MS.
Even MSeng See Profile who couldn't get the software to run properly and removed it got the email and is getting a copy of Vista Ultimate. So, I'm not sure how well the feedback to Microsoft is working since MSeng doesn't have the program installed but the email said his computer was sending back data on a regular basis.

I installed the Windows Feedback Program software on a virtual machine running XP Pro SP1 so Microsoft is getting a earful of how I use a virtual machine with an older version of XP. I've been a member of Microsoft's Feedback Panel for several years and I infrequently beta test for Microsoft but I had not ever gotten in on an offer like this before with them.

I'm glad to know that several frequent posters here feel that Microsoft is a "spyware vendor". I don't think you guys know one thing about this program which does send back information on how the participant uses their computer but it is all voluntary, above board, the privacy policy is excellent and Microsoft doesn't sneakily force this on unsuspecting users so I think you guys just wish you had gotten in on the offer before Microsoft closed it. A lot of folks didn't it make in time...I bet you were among them.

I think Weather Bug is spyware...I always have thought that and I won't have it. But Real Player is NOT spyware. At one time it was bad years ago and I would not use it then but Real cleaned up and got a better privacy policy than WMP. I would want it currently only because it is required for Rhapsody as Winamp is my player of choice (no DRM) but it can't do Rhapsody.

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

ironwalker to SUMware2

MVM

to SUMware2
For linux equivalent of winamp xmms is closest, but, as mentioned not code wise.
Try XMMS2 or Beep Media Player which is the samething as xmms origional though coded in different language I believe. Does shoutcast fine.

I dont,never use or install realAnything, its crap bad whatever.

VLC Mediaplayer classic and k-lite codec pack is all I need. I can still grab .flv files if needed and everything plays fine here without realplayer or quicktime installed.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

Phil to SUMware2

Premium Member

to SUMware2
I've always thought of RealPlayer as "neverinstallware"...

Thug21
Just Chillin'
Premium Member
join:2005-08-21

4 edits

Thug21

Premium Member

Er, Realplayer - I don't normally touch the stuff! All those "features" that phone home like E.T.? Ewww!
I kinda like Rhapsody, though.

As for a Linux player, maybe try audicious? »audacious-media-player.o ··· itle=FAQ
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

2 edits

SUMware2 to ironwalker

Premium Member

to ironwalker
said by ironwalker:

Try XMMS2 or Beep Media Player which is the samething as xmms origional though coded in different language I believe.
A bit more info:

XMMS2 (X-platform Music Multiplexing System 2)... is a new design, written from scratch, separate from the XMMS codebase.

The BMP is mainly a port of XMMS to GTK+ 2 and, as such, integrates better with the look and feel of more recent versions of the GNOME, Xfce, and, if using the GTK-QT theme engine for KDE, KDE desktop environments.

BMPx is the successor to the Beep Media Player. [?]

While the original BMP was a fork off XMMS, the new BMPx shares only a minimal amount of code with the original XMMS/BMP codebase, and was rewritten almost entirely from scratch.

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA

StraitShoot to SUMware2

Premium Member

to SUMware2
I love realplayer.. I use it and I also set it up to read Quicktime files.. I also use the latest Free version to download flv files off YouTube. I tried VLC Player and I hated it.. Realplayer's smooth as molasses..

tmaertin
Crash Into Me
Premium Member
join:2002-04-03
North Tonawanda, NY

tmaertin to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
said by VegasMan:

There are three pieces of software that will never touch a computer of mine again.

1. Anything Norton except for Ghost and I haven't had a use for Ghost in about 2 years.
2. AOHELL
3. Real Player

In my book these should be avoided like the plague.
I second! I will say the Symantec Corporate AV isnt so bad - but every Norton product I have ever dealt with is like trying to sleep with a fat girl in a twin size bed. It just seems to take over and slow down EVERYTHING!

AOLHell leaves all kinds of garbage behind after you uninstall. Realplayer I just never liked - oh well!

I would add to this list:

1) any McAfee product (myself as well as 2 others I know have gotten viruses while using McAfee)
2) Google toolbar/updater/whatever else comes with it (how many service/start up items does this have?)
3) Webroot spysweeper - see Norton

***FYI - yes the fat girl thing is a real experience from college. I would love to say I was drunk, but it happened more than once. She wasnt bad looking and knew what she was doing. I feel better now.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

But Real Player is NOT spyware. At one time it was bad years ago and I would not use it then but Real cleaned up and got a better privacy policy than WMP. I would want it currently only because it is required for Rhapsody as Winamp is my player of choice (no DRM) but it can't do Rhapsody.
It was called badware not spyware. It is more along the lines of annoyanceware rather than spyware as to why the classification of badware.

THE ANNOYANCE: RealPlayer constantly starts itself up and places itself in my system tray when I boot up Windows, even when I tell it not to. How can I keep this unwanted guest away?

THE FIX: The problem is much bigger than the icon's remaining in your system tray. Even if you manage to get rid of the software that launches that icon, RealPlayer will pop up, unannounced, with messages that you have no interest in receiving.

There are several culprits here. One is a small piece of software that constantly watches the Real site, checking for any software updates. The other is a feature called Message Center, which constantly checks the Real site for messages--often marketing-related, which you generally have no interest in--and then pops those messages up whether you like it or not.

To kill the Message Center annoyance, choose Tools -> Preferences -> Automatic Services -> Configure Message Center. From the screen that appears, uncheck the box next to Check for new messages. Then click on OK, and close the Message Center screen that appears for no humanly understandable reason. Click on OK again when the Preferences screen appears.

THE ANNOYANCE: I've installed RealPlayer and it's hijacked all my file types. No matter what kind of media file I want to play, this pushy visitor pops up and starts playing. How can I get my PC back?

THE FIX: When you installed RealPlayer, it asked what kinds of files you wanted it to play. By default, it chose quite a few of them. Like most people, you didn't pay much attention. And then RealPlayer proceeded to, in essence, hijack your PC.

To fix the problem, select Tools -> Preferences -> Content -> Media Types. You'll see a list of file types that RealPlayer has the capability of playing. All those that are checked are associated with RealPlayer. To stop RealPlayer from playing any types, uncheck their boxes and click on OK

»www.google.com/custom?hl ··· &spell=1
37,000 results.. hmmm .. I guess im not alone in thinking real player is annoying as HELL....
said by Mele20:

OOOH! Someone is jealous!
No. They are just pointing out the obvious. No need to point that out here, because everyone that frequents this forum knows this.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

See? Real Player is very benign. You just proved that. It is NOT badware. Real Player assumes the user is not a stupid idiot. Anyone who is not knows to uncheck all file associations when installing Real. They also know to READ the help file so they can disable calling home, popping up the message box, etc. It is the lazy folks and the uninformed (who are too laze to become informed) that have problems with Real Player. I don't ever allow Real to do any of the things you say make it badware. It is very easy to tame Real but evidently no one in this thread is intelligent enough to do that. So, people call it badware when the problem actually lies with the user who is ignorant and doesn't want to educate themselves by reading the help file.

Who is pointing out what obvious? You are not making sense. Of course, the person who made the nasty flame did so because they are jealous as they are not getting Vista Ultimate free from Microsoft and that makes them jealous. They also state that Microsoft is a "spyware vendor" so you are saying that Microsoft is a spyware vendor? I guess you are admitting that you are jealous also. LOL
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to The Snowman

Premium Member

to The Snowman
said by The Snowman:

About Snakes.....a snake can shed it's skin......but it still remains a S N A K E.
ahh but the real danger is when they are let onto planes.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:
said by The Snowman:

ahh but the real danger is when they are let onto planes.
OFF TOPIC:
In the baggage compartment, cabin or wheelwell? The Brown Tree snake has gotten into Hawaii via all three ways and if not caught would cause a ecological nightmare.

Lagz
Premium Member
The Rock

Lagz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

See? Real Player is very benign. You just proved that. It is NOT badware. Real Player assumes the user is not a stupid idiot.
The problem with that argument is that most people who use the internet are, as you would say, stupid idiots. 80 percent or more of people want to just get on the computer and go. Just like a car, they want just just get in and drive. Most people are not going to read help files or go searching for fixes to something that is annoying. People will just move on to something else or just live with realplayer's bad habits. That is what realplayer is hoping for that the majority will just live with the annoyances and bad habits of realplayer rather than moving on.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

And WMP doesn't have any bad habits? LOL Gee, by your reasoning people live with tons and tons of bad habits by a great number of applications all because they don't want to learn anything and want everything to just "work" with no effort on their part. Why single out Real Player? The worst offender is Quick Time. So, why not bitch about it instead of Real Player? Quick Time you have to uninstall. You can't tame it, but you can tame Real.

Anyhow, I would say going by your reasoning that this thread should be about WMP, Quick Time and Flash Player all of which require that you learn how to tame them or live with the hell the wreck if you can't be bothered to learn anything about their bad habits. The best player for lack of nasty habits is probably Winamp.

Lagz
Premium Member
The Rock

Lagz

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

And WMP doesn't have any bad habits? LOL Gee, by your reasoning people live with tons and tons of bad habits by a great number of applications all because they don't want to learn anything and want everything to just "work" with no effort on their part. Why single out Real Player? The worst offender is Quick Time. So, why not bitch about it instead of Real Player? Quick Time you have to uninstall. You can't tame it, but you can tame Real.
WMP probably has tons of them. Why you would think I didnt like WMP any less is beyond me. I frankly cant stand WMP. I never singled out realplayer, I was just pointing out the the annoyances and the fixes. As for Quicktime I cant stand that apple piece of crap app either. I use quick alternative and if that doesnt work I dont watch the video. I also use real alternative and again if it doesnt work then I dont watch the video. I wasnt "bitching" about realplayer, only pointing out to you that it wasnt classified as spyware but rather badware. There is a difference between the two. I simply think that realplayer is Annoyingware. Kind of like those old sharware apps that kept popping up a "buy me" button every 2 minutes.
said by Mele20:

Anyhow, I would say going by your reasoning that this thread should be about WMP, Quick Time and Flash Player all of which require that you learn how to tame them or live with the hell the wreck if you can't be bothered to learn anything about their bad habits. The best player for lack of nasty habits is probably Winamp.
I use VLC and winamp for all of my video watching. If I encounter a video that I cant watch with those, then guess what? I dont watch it.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Gotcha! Sorry I misunderstood...we think pretty much alike on these players actually.