spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Rich1955
join:2004-02-23
Elgin, IL

Rich1955

Replacemt product for B2000 v1

My B2000 v1 finally bit the dust..I'm in the market for a replacement Zyxel product..

My B2000 provides Internet access for 2 desktops and 2 laptops ; all in a home enviroment.. Using a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem..I have a jetdirect box attached to a ethernet port on the B2000..

Am using B-200 usb lan adapters for the desktops and zyxel pcmcia wireless adapters for the laptops..

Would someone please recommend a suitable product; either another AP or router..

Thanks,

Rich
Riuski
join:2005-12-16
Alhambra, CA

Riuski

Seems like ZyXEL has avoided making a similar type of SOHO router since the G-2000v2s came out, and that was a few years ago. I guess they figured most people would either go with ZyWALLs or their consumer routers.

Personally, I think you should look at the X-550 or its replacement, NBG-415N, because the MIMO wireless output on those units is excellent, but if you want future proof, maybe you can wait for the next Draft N router from ZyXEL.

However, if the firewall customizations are important, you should look at the ZyWALL 2WG, but I think the cost is considerably more than any of the routers I already mentioned. You do get a lot more for the extra cost though: VPN, full feature NAT, firewall customizations, option to subscribe to content filtering, option to use a 3G card for the WAN, etc.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Rich1955

Premium Member

to Rich1955
Hi Rich.

The biggest change for you will be the move to WPA2 security. I believe only the B2000v2 did WPA get onboard.
This is an important change that will necessitate changing\updating your adaptors too. Along with that you will be using G wifi vs B.

You certainly do not need to get an expensive zywall unit, nor do I recommend the current crop of N routers. There are some zyxel N products, coming within a year that may prove more useful (actual zynos firmware and vista compliant).

Currently I am recommending the NBG334W and NBG334SH.
»zyxel.com/web/product_fa ··· 361862EE

Both have the latest zynos firmware which includes their solutions for P2p, VOIP, gaming etc along with throughputs above 30Mbps. One of the most important features of these two routers is the new guest WIFI, which is a fully dhcp serving VLAN separate wifi(incl separate security settings) that guests and friends can use which solely gives them access to the internet. The difference between the two is the wifi. THe NBG334W comes with the standard feeble 2dbi antenna whereas the SH comes with a 4 or 5db antenna and higher output 400mw?? not quite sure on the figure. The SH also touts the Super G wifi speeds.

If you must have the higher output and antenna expect to pay an additional 10-15$

Street prices are in the vicinity of $50-55 for the W and $65-70 for the SH.

To answer your question, If I was buying for family I would get the above two if wifi needed, or the zywall 2 plus for strictly wired (limited thruput of approx 24Mbps though). I hope this helps.

Oh yeah, you will need adaptors. The NBG series is atheros based so G, atheros adaptors will work with the above nbg SERIES. I note in the spec sheet picture it shows the G202 usb adaptor, G302v2 pci adaptor, and the G120 cardbus laptop adaptor. Not sure if those are super G capable though.